Is voting wortwhile if you live in a solid state?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:51:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is voting wortwhile if you live in a solid state?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 38

Author Topic: Is voting wortwhile if you live in a solid state?  (Read 1836 times)
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 03, 2005, 09:01:45 PM »

A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2005, 09:08:35 PM »

I guess you mean presidential elections. Would voting not be worthwhile if we had a national popular vote, and it was 1984?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2005, 09:32:17 PM »

Yes!  There are few places where there are no competitive elections whatsoever.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2005, 09:49:10 PM »

I always vote regardless.  Besides, there are elections other than presidential elections.

And even in a presidential election, there is psychological impact to the popular vote, even if a person, such as myself, is voting against the sure winner of my state.

Sad to say, the last time I voted for the winner in the state I was living in at the time was 1984, when I lived in New York and voted for Ronald Reagan.  In 1988, I voted for George Bush, and while he carried Connecticut, where I live now, I lived in New York at the time.

Since then, the state I have lived in has always been carried by the Democratic presidential candidate, none of whom I have voted for.

But I still do pretty well at voting for the national winner. Smiley
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2005, 10:07:38 PM »

There are few places where there are no competitive elections whatsoever.

Clovis, CA; Santa Cruz, CA
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2005, 10:35:09 PM »

There are few places where there are no competitive elections whatsoever.

Clovis, CA; Santa Cruz, CA

Not true, not true.  Local city council races are oftentimes very close, even if it's between two candidates you disagree with - one you're less likely to disagree with, and city council races almost have entirely different things that don't correspond to party affiliation.
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2005, 11:07:38 PM »

Even when there is a one party stranglehold on the general election, there's still hairs to be split in the primaries.

Neither loyalty oaths nor political compass scores are required to join a party, so if you're in a one-party state/town, you can still battle for the soul of the party, or at least to edge them over a bit toward reason.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2005, 10:46:43 AM »

Yes, you should think of all the people in Africa and the Middle East who would stand outside for 3 days for the right to vote.  Also, there are probably some kind of competitive races somewhere on the ballot.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2005, 12:52:25 PM »

Yes, you should think of all the people in Africa and the Middle East who would stand outside for 3 days for the right to vote.  Also, there are probably some kind of competitive races somewhere on the ballot.

All those elections are rigged anyway.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2005, 02:20:32 PM »

Voting is pointless anywaym and is initiation of force.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2005, 03:32:04 PM »

Voting is pointless anywaym and is initiation of force.

Huh?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2005, 03:41:49 PM »

All those elections are rigged anyway.

I meant, they'd wait outside for 3 days to vote in a fair election, obviously.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2005, 03:47:30 PM »

I think he's extending the logic that government is basically a form of coercion/force(and if you get down to it it really is), and thus he's saying voting is an attempt to get people in who would do what you'd like the government to force people to do. However, since I recognize that a minimal level of government is necessary for a civil society to exist, I would disagree that it is pointless - I would vote for the person who would use the least unnecessary force possible with the end intention of keeping government at a minimum.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2005, 04:10:48 PM »

Where I live, the major races were all boring as hell...

There was never any question that Kerry, Schumer, Lowey, and Paulin were going to win.

However, we had a rather interesting three-way State Senate race (Republican v. Democrat v. Conservative--the conservative was a Democrat who tried to get the Republican nomination and failed) after our former Senator got put in prison a couple times.  The real Democrat won, but narrowly.

The State Senate race next door, the Republican won by 17 votes...not decided till February.

Up in Irvington, they still haven't figured out who won the election for mayor.  The Democrat challenger was up by one vote, but then one absentee vote got thrown out, so now it's tied.  I think the current mayor (Republican) is still running the town as if he won re-election--personally I don't think this will be settled before the next election.

So, yes, your votes do matter, even when you're in a supposedly "safe" area.

And if you are in a ridiculously "safe" area, odds are you'll have interesting primaries from time to time, if not general elections.
MissCatholic

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2005, 12:33:52 PM »

Voting is one of the most important things you can do. Everybody must vote.

I like the Australian system but i understand why people are against forced voting. but we should do it out of respect for the men and women that lost their lifes in wars past to grant us this free right.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2005, 06:23:16 PM »

well, even though the particle velocity is slower in the solid state than in the liquid or vapor states, the density is usually greater, so the probability of reaction between particles can be thusly enhanced.  though I still prefer remaining in the vapor state most of the time.  Just like the way it feels. 

that said, I have nothing against the solid state folks.  But the liquids and vapors are in a minority, as a percent of all matter.  If we could unite, we may prove a formidable voting bloc against the solid states.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2005, 06:26:46 PM »

well, even though the particle velocity is slower in the solid state than in the liquid or vapor states, the density is usually greater, so the probability of reaction between particles can be thusly enhanced.  though I still prefer remaining in the vapor state most of the time.  Just like the way it feels. 

that said, I have nothing against the solid state folks.  But the liquids and vapors are in a minority, as a percent of all matter.  If we could unite, we may prove a formidable voting bloc against the solid states.

Hahaha.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2005, 08:49:39 PM »

amusing
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies