Which branch of the Democrat party is more to blame for its failures? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:46:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate
  Political Essays & Deliberation (Moderator: Torie)
  Which branch of the Democrat party is more to blame for its failures? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Which branch of the Democrat party is more to blame for its failures?  (Read 9476 times)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« on: September 10, 2005, 01:24:33 PM »

The rules say that every post has to be at least a 100 words.

On the issue...I think a lot comes down to mixing it a little. You need to avoid issues that are highly damaging to you electorally and push through some of your principal issues "under-cover". If you look at Reagan, the last successfull radical, what he did was basically using the economy twice as his main campaign theme. He did the "Are you better off than you were 4 years ago" stunt twice - first as a challenger and then as an incumbent. This, combined with his personal charisma and optimism was what people were voting for. Once in office Reagan was able to pull off a pretty power-full conservative agenda AND linking this agenda to the economic success during his administration. I think that being able to link your ideas to a positive message and an atmosphere of success is the key here, not the actual radicalism of your stands.

Needless to say, Democrats should avoid defending gay marriage, which is a non-issue, or get into Roe v Wade. Those are issues where they lose, plain and simple.

I strongly agree with Dazzleman on minority politics. This is a key problem, just look at Democrat percentages of the white vote in the South. Not very promising...
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies