The last time a city had this level of destruction
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:18:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The last time a city had this level of destruction
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The last time a city had this level of destruction  (Read 1364 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 05, 2005, 02:35:12 PM »
« edited: September 05, 2005, 02:39:26 PM by jfern »

President Teddy Roosevelt had the feds respond much faster than now, almost 100 years later.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2005/9/5/134849/2070

Too bad that this time the Northern Command had to sit around idle waiting for authorization from the President, who was busy playing a guitar, and eating cake.
http://www.thecarpetbaggerreport.com/archives/5167.html

If Rice had accepted the offer of help from the Russians, they would have beaten the feds to NOLA. We also rejected Cuba's offer of 1500 doctors.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2005, 02:42:04 PM »

Ah, you forget to mention:

1. 6,000 people died.

2.  The fire burnt itself reasonably quickly.

TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2005, 02:43:34 PM »

1. 6,000 people died.

J.J, please stop defending this incompetent administration.  You also have to remember this is 2005, not 1904 and we may have 10,000 dead. 
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2005, 02:56:53 PM »

1. 6,000 people died.

J.J, please stop defending this incompetent administration.  You also have to remember this is 2005, not 1904 and we may have 10,000 dead. 

You also had a smaller population and disaster that was not so widespread.  This would be like an earthquake that destroyed not only SF, but Stockton and Scaramento.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2005, 02:59:24 PM »

Um, was San Francisco flooded at this time? No
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2005, 03:32:37 PM »

Things were easier back in 1904.  The transportation system hadn't collapsed.  There was an Army base right in San Francisco.  The climate wasn't such as to cause people to die from heat or dehydration.  The tragedy that Katrina should be compared to is not San Francisco but the Great Mississippi Flood of 1927.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2005, 03:37:31 PM »

New Orleans didn't have the fire problems that San Francisco had on April 18th, 1906.

The 1906 earthquake was centered near San Francisco with a magnitude of 7.9. The 1989 quake did a fair amount of damage to San Fracancisco and Oakland, including breaking the bridge in between them, despite that it was a 7.1 quake epicentered 70 miles away from San Francisco.

In other words, I'm sure the 1906 quake did a fair amount of damage in places other than San Francisco. It's just that it really nailed San Francisco.
Giant Saguaro
TheGiantSaguaro

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 3.83

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2005, 03:41:55 PM »

And we know how reliable and objective Kos is. I imagine federal troops were more the default service to handle this much less widespread disaster adn were better positioned to handle it. I also wonder if the mayor back then had public transportation available in mass quantities, the status of the NG, and so forth.

I think it's a shame that the fringe partisan left is not examining the mayor's role and the governor's role in this beyond giving them a free pass with the intent of pinning the responsibility squarely on Bush. There is clearly enough "blame" to go around.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2005, 03:45:13 PM »

Things were easier back in 1904.  The transportation system hadn't collapsed.  There was an Army base right in San Francisco.  The climate wasn't such as to cause people to die from heat or dehydration.  The tragedy that Katrina should be compared to is not San Francisco but the Great Mississippi Flood of 1927.

Yep, totally agree on this one.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2005, 04:02:59 PM »

New Orleans didn't have the fire problems that San Francisco had on April 18th, 1906.

The 1906 earthquake was centered near San Francisco with a magnitude of 7.9. The 1989 quake did a fair amount of damage to San Fracancisco and Oakland, including breaking the bridge in between them, despite that it was a 7.1 quake epicentered 70 miles away from San Francisco.

In other words, I'm sure the 1906 quake did a fair amount of damage in places other than San Francisco. It's just that it really nailed San Francisco.

Katrina "really nailed" about 150 miles of coastline.  1906 quake didn't nail those other towns; the fire certainly didn't.  It lasted for two days; the water will last weeks.

It took the soldiers just under two hours because, guess what, they were stationed at Fort Mason, in the city.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2005, 04:36:43 PM »

I don't think I should have to point out that you have no advance warning for an earthquake.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2005, 04:50:51 PM »

Which makes the actions of Mayor Nagin look even worse.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2005, 04:51:24 PM »

You also should point out that the main transportation hub the city, the port, was undamaged.  From what I can tell, there is one road still working and the rail road got back up.  The ports are down, the airport obviously wasn't going to be operational during a hurricane.  All eastward routes are cut as are all direct northern routes.  There was no southern route.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2005, 04:56:28 PM »

Yes, the Rove talking points are to blame to locals in a desperate attempt to deflect blame from Bush.

You also should point out that the main transportation hub the city, the port, was undamaged.  From what I can tell, there is one road still working and the rail road got back up.  The ports are down, the airport obviously wasn't going to be operational during a hurricane.  All eastward routes are cut as are all direct northern routes.  There was no southern route.

There are still roads into New Orleans. San Francisco is surrounded on 3 sides by water, and those bridges didn't exist in 1906. Boats have been used in New Orleans. Sorry, your spinning isn't working.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2005, 06:03:41 PM »

Yes, the Rove talking points are to blame to locals in a desperate attempt to deflect blame from Bush.

There are still roads into New Orleans. San Francisco is surrounded on 3 sides by water, and those bridges didn't exist in 1906. Boats have been used in New Orleans. Sorry, your spinning isn't working.

There is a road now; here is the satellite photo, which I've posted previously:

I-10 and 1-610 are under water at points.  Only Route 90 which is at the southeast (lower right part of the photo) is operational.  The railroad, which runs along the river, is back up now as well.  From what I've heard, the Causeway is out in the middle.

The port is closed to deep water vessels; unlike SF, you can't get ships in to the port.  You can get canoes in and swamp buggies, but not enough to get more than one or people out at a time.

I seriously can't believe you didn't actually check this out before posting.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2005, 06:06:25 PM »

You also should point out that the main transportation hub the city, the port, was undamaged.  From what I can tell, there is one road still working and the rail road got back up.  The ports are down, the airport obviously wasn't going to be operational during a hurricane.  All eastward routes are cut as are all direct northern routes.  There was no southern route.

There is a road now; here is the satellite photo, which I've posted previously:

I-10 and 1-610 are under water at points.  Only Route 90 which is at the southeast (lower right part of the photo) is operational.  The railroad, which runs along the river, is back up now as well.  From what I've heard, the Causeway is out in the middle.

The port is closed to deep water vessels; unlike SF, you can't get ships in to the port.  You can get canoes in and swamp buggies, but not enough to get more than one or people out at a time.

I seriously can't believe you didn't actually check this out before posting.

Yes, there's at least one road, and it's probably of higher quality than any road in the country in 1906. No deep water vessels? So the big oil tankers can't come in, but other stuff can.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2005, 06:20:29 PM »

A larger version is at:  http://images.ibsys.com/2005/0902/4931504.jpg

Yes, there's at least one road, and it's probably of higher quality than any road in the country in 1906. No deep water vessels? So the big oil tankers can't come in, but other stuff can.

I think it is worth keeping that photo up.  On the first day, not hardly, it was covered with debris.  Believe it or not, you can fit a lot more people on a ship than in a bus or a truck.  Ships are bigger.

The "other stuff" is going to very limited.  You can't get passenger ships or Navy vessels in either.  You can get barges in and have the survivors sit in the middle of the Mississippi, with no cover, no food, no water, no toilets, no medical care.  Is that you idea of "helping" people?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies