|           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:08:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: 1992  (Read 19818 times)
jravnsbo

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2004, 06:21:04 PM »

When did Maine and NE adopt the split of EV strategy?  

I really don't think that Ross Perot would have carried any states, even if he hadn't dropped out and returned to the race in 1992.

US politics is generally geared in the direction of realism, and I think his support would have fallen away in any case as the election approached, because people would think that a vote for him was wasted since he couldn't win.

That was a strange election year, marked by an incumbent who had run out of ideas and seemed like a deer in the headlights, and a Democratic challenger of highly dubious character and integrity.  So for a lot of people (including me), these were not attractive choices, but I still don't believe that Ross Perot could have won a whole slew of states as some people have suggested.  At most, he might have won around 3 states out west, like Montana, with Clinton still winning the election overall.

But that's just my opinion.  We'll never know for sure.
He was an inch away from carrying Maine after he re-entered, so he would have won it if he had not fooled around.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2004, 06:22:22 PM »

When did Maine and NE adopt the split of EV strategy?  

I really don't think that Ross Perot would have carried any states, even if he hadn't dropped out and returned to the race in 1992.

US politics is generally geared in the direction of realism, and I think his support would have fallen away in any case as the election approached, because people would think that a vote for him was wasted since he couldn't win.

That was a strange election year, marked by an incumbent who had run out of ideas and seemed like a deer in the headlights, and a Democratic challenger of highly dubious character and integrity.  So for a lot of people (including me), these were not attractive choices, but I still don't believe that Ross Perot could have won a whole slew of states as some people have suggested.  At most, he might have won around 3 states out west, like Montana, with Clinton still winning the election overall.

But that's just my opinion.  We'll never know for sure.
He was an inch away from carrying Maine after he re-entered, so he would have won it if he had not fooled around.
I don't know.  It only works with small states, though.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2004, 09:39:01 PM »

I believe it was during the 1960's.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2004, 12:32:45 PM »

One of them adopted their's in 1991 (I think it was NE, not positive thoguh)
The other did somewhat before then.
However, neither has ever split theirs in this manner.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2004, 12:37:56 PM »

Maine has come close twice though.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2004, 12:44:19 PM »

It's on this site...

Maine was in 1969, NE in 1991.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2004, 12:50:23 PM »

It's on this site...

Maine was in 1969, NE in 1991.
Oh.  We look everywhere, and we're staring right at it!
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2004, 05:22:33 PM »

A Taft like humiliation for Bush41? Nice thought though.

You suggested that, didn't you? What are you really saying? I am confused!
jravnsbo

« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2004, 12:35:46 PM »

in 1912 Taft was president but came in 3rd.  Wilson won and TR came in 2d on "Bullmoose" party

Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2004, 04:53:10 PM »

I know what happened in the 1912 election! If I was easily angered I might feel a little insulted by that... Wink

What I was referring to was the fact that RP suggested that Bush Sr. might have suffered a Taft like humiliation and some of us discussed that. Then he suddenly posts the post I quoted, and I didn't get what he meant.

in 1912 Taft was president but came in 3rd.  Wilson won and TR came in 2d on "Bullmoose" party

jravnsbo

« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2004, 11:00:06 PM »

didn't meant o offend I really didn't think you knew and was just attempting to explain. Smiley all good.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2004, 11:33:10 AM »

didn't meant o offend I really didn't think you knew and was just attempting to explain. Smiley all good.

Sure, no hard feelings at all, as far as I am concerned! Smiley
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2004, 07:27:00 AM »

What makes you so absolutely sure the Democratic house would have voted for Clinton? I distinctly remember reading an article about the possibility during the campaign and one Representative (I wouldn't remember who, or from what party) was quoted: "But how can we vote for another candidate than our voters did?" Partisan feeling was lower than then after 1994. Still, I'll agree they'd have *probably* overcome their qualms

The Republicans had held the White House for 12 consecutive years, and 20 out of the last 24 years. The last time a Democrat had been reelected was 1944, 48 years back. I don't think that the Dems would have been willing to give away the presidency.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2004, 08:34:10 AM »

If we suppose a swing to Perot of 14%, half from Bush, half from Clinton, it would give the PV Clinton 36%, Bush 30% and Perot 33%, with Perot running is second place. I have distributed his pickup equally over the country, which might not be right, but probably would not help Perot that much anyway.

In addition to the above states, Perot would then pick up Texas, Oklahoma and South Dakota from Bush, as well as coming within 0.15% of winning North Dakota and 0.07% of winning Florida. He would also pick up Washington, Oregon, New Hampshire, Colorado, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Connecticut and Ohio from Clinton, making the total number of EVs the following:

Perot: 158

Bush: 101

Clinton: 279

So Clinton would still win. And most of the remaining Clinton states are those in the south, mid-west, west and North East where he had close to 50%. So it is hard to see Clinton not losing that election, it seems to me like most of the places where Perot was strong were GOP territory, he couldn't have hurt Clinton that much either way.
Clinton:

How high do you have to go
a for an election decided by the house
b for a Perot victory?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2004, 11:39:08 AM »

If we suppose a swing to Perot of 14%, half from Bush, half from Clinton, it would give the PV Clinton 36%, Bush 30% and Perot 33%, with Perot running is second place. I have distributed his pickup equally over the country, which might not be right, but probably would not help Perot that much anyway.

In addition to the above states, Perot would then pick up Texas, Oklahoma and South Dakota from Bush, as well as coming within 0.15% of winning North Dakota and 0.07% of winning Florida. He would also pick up Washington, Oregon, New Hampshire, Colorado, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Connecticut and Ohio from Clinton, making the total number of EVs the following:

Perot: 158

Bush: 101

Clinton: 279

So Clinton would still win. And most of the remaining Clinton states are those in the south, mid-west, west and North East where he had close to 50%. So it is hard to see Clinton not losing that election, it seems to me like most of the places where Perot was strong were GOP territory, he couldn't have hurt Clinton that much either way.
Clinton:

How high do you have to go
a for an election decided by the house
b for a Perot victory?

a) If you add another 2% to Perot's vote, 1% from Bush and 1% from Clinton, it makes the PV totals:

Clinton: 35%

Perot: 35%

Bush: 29%

Perot now picks up Vermont, Delaware and Rhode Island from Clinton. He would obviously also pick up Florida and North Dakota, but I didn't bother to check the others.

The EV totals would be:

Clinton: 269

Perot: 189

Bush: 80

And the election get thrown into the house.

b) I now see that Alaska, Utah and Idaho would have gone Perot at a much earlier stage, I just missed it. With my new numbers Nebraska, Missouri and Indiana goes to Perot as well. If we add another 2% to Perot, 1% each from the other candidates, he also picks up Michigan, Iowa, Massachusetts and California.

The PV totals would then be:

Perot: 37%

Clinton: 34%

Bush: 28%  

And the EV totals:

Perot: 320

Clinton: 167

Bush: 51

But this is so unrealistic, that I don't really know why I even bother... Sad
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2004, 05:04:17 PM »

It is very unrealistic.  And, I got lost in the middle of it too.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2004, 05:18:06 PM »

It is very unrealistic.  And, I got lost in the middle of it too.

I know it's unrealistic, and I'm not sure why I began to post it in the first place, but Trondheim asked me, and I obliged...

What do you mean got lost in the middle? Am I not good at this? Sad

What part didn't you get?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2004, 05:19:41 PM »

How did Perot double his PV total?  that's unrealistic, and I don't understand where he jumped from 19% to 37% so easily.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2004, 05:41:17 PM »

How did Perot double his PV total?  that's unrealistic, and I don't understand where he jumped from 19% to 37% so easily.

Well, ehhh...he, you know...he just did, don't ask stupid questions like that! Wink

And, yes, btw, that is the unrealistic part I referred to in my post...
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2004, 05:45:59 AM »

The whole point was: How much of the vote would Perot have needed to win? (Of course we're three people who agree this was never any likely, and was totally impossible by the end of the campaign.) So he just added them. Maybe someone stuffing ballot boxes:)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2004, 12:55:16 PM »

The whole point was: How much of the vote would Perot have needed to win? (Of course we're three people who agree this was never any likely, and was totally impossible by the end of the campaign.) So he just added them. Maybe someone stuffing ballot boxes:)

Lol... Smiley Yes, the main point was to see how much would have been required to change the end result, and that rather proves the point. It's obvious that Perot's voters weren't optimally distributed, since he would have needed a clear win in PV to win the EC.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.91

« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2017, 11:14:57 AM »

Perot probably would have needed at least a 5% advantage in the polls in order to get a 1% advantage on election day in order to win because of the lack of party GOTV efforts that the Republicans and Democrats are able to do.

Perot would have also done better had he chosen a sensible Vice Presidential candidate - maybe Lowell Weicker?

What would have been interesting is to see how the Electoral vote would have turned out.  Perot did extremely well in the west and probably would have won everything except California and Utah.  The margins of victory for Bush in the south were already small and a strong Perot might have caused some of them to swing to Clinton.

In the northeast Perot would pick up Maine and New Hampshire and I think that Vermont could have been persuaded.
Yeah, pretty much this.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies