1968: Bobby Kennedy alive (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 04:50:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  1968: Bobby Kennedy alive (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1968: Bobby Kennedy alive  (Read 9748 times)
hawkeye59
United States

« on: December 13, 2010, 04:40:20 PM »

If RFK had not been shot and killed,  He would not have captured the nomination in August, 1968.  After winning the California Primary over Eugene McCarthy the night of June 4, He proclaimed "Now, it's on to Chicago, and let's win there".  Yes, He had momentum, after California, but Vice President Humphrey, although not entered in the primaries, had received a large number of delegates.  As of the early morning hours of June 5, Senator Kennedy knew it was going to be a fight to win the nomination. Also, you can rest assured that McCarthy, also with delegates and support, would have been in Chicago, as well, for the convention.  Also, President Johnson, choosing not to run again on March 31, opened the door for Humphrey to run and gained alot of support. Humphrey would be hurt politically, by being a part of the Johnson administration, with its protests at home, stemming from its involvement in the Vietnam war.
I stated that RFK would not have captured the nomination.  That is a bold statement from me, because who knows what would have happened if Hubert Humphrey, Eugene McCarthy, and Robert Kennedy, were all on the floor of that convention, seeking support and delegate votes.  If that did occur, there is one thing that I can see happening,  President Johnson getting personally involved in the proceedings.  As President, he most likely would have done anything to deny the nomination to Senator Kennedy. Both men hated each other since 1960, and I feel President Johnson would keep Kennedy from getting the nomination.
Kennedy and Humphrey split the support, with mccarthy being the kingmaker if he dropped. I think McCarthy would have been forced by his supporters, who liked Kennedy to endorse Kennedy after a few ballots.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies