Can you be pro-life and shoot a deer?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:34:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Can you be pro-life and shoot a deer?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Can you be pro-life and shoot a deer?
Yes

No

Unsure

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 41

Author Topic: Can you be pro-life and shoot a deer?  (Read 3602 times)
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2005, 09:12:36 PM »

Ughhhh, yea.  Deer... Child... Deer... Child?

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2005, 10:46:19 PM »

Such valuations are purely subjective.  I've no doubt my father would've gladly seen whole nations in Africa perish to preserve the life of his favourite Chihuahua.. who now lies under the dogwood tree. Sad
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2005, 12:06:02 AM »

No, its not philosophically consistent, and the results of this poll are very sad.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2005, 03:20:42 AM »

2."Helper or Intelligent Animals" those that serve a purpose in aiding humans.  For example, a dog watches out for the master in case of a break-in, and in turn gets attention and petting, (a mutual benefit).  Horses also fit in here, since they can give someone a ride.  Typical pets also serve a purpose here.

Horses can be eaten.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2005, 03:39:10 AM »

No, its not philosophically consistent, and the results of this poll are very sad.

Uhh no.  Believing a human embryo is precious life while a chicken is meant for food purposes is not inconsistent in any way whatsoever.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2005, 05:16:58 AM »

Uhh no.  Believing a human embryo is precious life while a chicken is meant for food purposes is not inconsistent in any way whatsoever.
Ah, but that's like believing a chicken egg is precious life while a human is meant for food purposes.

A distinction of a is food, b is holy, is utterly inconsistent no matter where you put it.
You'll just have to accept that you're devouring precious life in order to maintain your own life, and this is as god ordained it. It's all a cycle. (And no, that doesn't make abortions a good or okay thing)
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2005, 08:54:24 AM »

2."Helper or Intelligent Animals" those that serve a purpose in aiding humans.  For example, a dog watches out for the master in case of a break-in, and in turn gets attention and petting, (a mutual benefit).  Horses also fit in here, since they can give someone a ride.  Typical pets also serve a purpose here.

Horses can be eaten.

Had horse in the Neatherlands.  Wasn't too bad, but not my first choice.  Smiley
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2005, 01:25:09 PM »

The fact that you cannot distinguish between human life and that of a deer is rather disturbing and quite telling.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2005, 02:36:43 PM »

Horses can be eaten.

They can be.  You can eat any animal, but they're not meant to be since they can mutually benefit living with humans.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2005, 03:53:59 PM »

What does chicken have to do with this?? We're talking about Deer, who (usually) aren't meant to be food. Of course if venison is common in your neck of the woods, then okay. The thread title says deer not chicken.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2005, 03:56:48 PM »

What does chicken have to do with this?? We're talking about Deer, who (usually) aren't meant to be food. Of course if venison is common in your neck of the woods, then okay. The thread title says deer not chicken.

What does the meat being commonly eaten have anything to do with it?
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2005, 04:00:30 PM »

Now I'm really confused
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2005, 04:28:21 PM »

Now I'm really confused

See bolded text above. You seem to assert that it's ok to shoot the deer if venison is commonly eaten in his area, but it is not ok if it isn't.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2005, 05:03:02 PM »

A distinction of a is food, b is holy, is utterly inconsistent no matter where you put it.
You'll just have to accept that you're devouring precious life in order to maintain your own life, and this is as god ordained it.
No, it is not inconsistent: if I believe that one type of life is more precious than another, and that the type that is less precious is available strictly for me and others who are in my same species to use, there is no inconsistency.  You assume that I think human life and animal life are equal: if I believed this, then yes, I would be inconsistent.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2005, 01:04:10 AM »

Now I'm really confused

See bolded text above. You seem to assert that it's ok to shoot the deer if venison is commonly eaten in his area, but it is not ok if it isn't.

Well I didn't mean it like that. Ideally, I don't want any animal to get killed but since I eat meat I'm just deluding myself. This just plays into Jake's hypothesis that I'm a liberal sissy.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2005, 03:03:38 AM »

You'll just have to accept that you're devouring precious life in order to maintain your own life, and this is as god ordained it.
No, it is not inconsistent: if I believe that one type of life is more precious than another, and that the type that is less precious is available strictly for me and others who are in my same species to use, there is no inconsistency.  You assume that I think human life and animal life are equal: if I believed this, then yes, I would be inconsistent.
Ah well, but the assumption they aren't equal is a fairly stupid and utterly ungrounded one. .Tongue And the part about "available strictly for me and others in the same species to use"...I don't get that? You mean a bear has no right to eat venison, it belongs to humans? Or what?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2005, 03:47:17 AM »

How is the assumption that human life and animal life are inequal stupid and unground?  I think it's safe to give that description to the opposite assumption.  If you don't see a difference in worth between a human and say, a bear, that is frightening.

And the part about "available strictly for me and others in the same species to use"...I don't get that? You mean a bear has no right to eat venison, it belongs to humans? Or what?
Bad wording on my part.  I do believe that all animals are available for humans to use for food and other purposes.  A bear has a right to eat venison and any other animal it can handle killing, although obviously if it tries to kill a human, the human would retalliate (hopefully) and save itself.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2005, 03:55:12 AM »

How is the assumption that human life and animal life are inequal stupid and unground?  I think it's safe to give that description to the opposite assumption.  If you don't see a difference in worth between a human and say, a bear, that is frightening.
From a global perspective, there is nothing special or unique about mankind, nothing that sets us apart from all other species.
Obviously human society will have to be primarily involved with making rules about humans, and will place a higher value on a human life, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. But then sheep and bees care more about their fellow sheep or bee than about other species, too, you know.
But from a global point of view, all life is equal and equally sacred. And will get eaten, if you want to buried rather than cremated that is.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2005, 04:02:03 AM »

I'm a cremation type of guy, sorry. Tongue

Either way, I find your comment that there is nothing special or unique about mankind laughable.  I don't think I've ever found books written by dogs, or music written by a lemur.  There are some people who would make a case for civilization attempted by chimpanzees (apparently some of the more advanced apes have wars like humans, though I don't know the validity of those claims).  But that is, at best, a mess, and certainly not as advanced as the civilization that humans have created in last 10,000 years.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2005, 04:08:57 AM »

Coming from a more biological perspective here...there is no one trait that totally sets us apart. Sure we got the most developed language by far, and the largest brain (except for whales but theirs are highly specialized to a couple of functions)...and these factors explain our civilization...but the point is, they're not unique, they're merely the top ends of a continuum.
And yeah, chimps have wars. So do ants, so I don't see what's so special about that. Smiley
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2005, 04:15:59 AM »
« Edited: September 09, 2005, 04:19:39 AM by Senator Porce »

Oh, from a biological perspective, sure.  But we can't simplify things that easily.  Obviously, when it comes to the ability to experience emotions, love, pain, etc., and have a meaningful conversation with a fellow member of the species...  I would argue that animal emotions are based on instinct and previous experiences, while humans have all that plus a concionce, an idea of what's right and wrong, and the ability to love a fellow human.  (I don't mean love in the shallow sense of a dog loving his owner, or opebo having sex with a prostitute, which is more loyalty, or in the latter case, pointless existence.)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2005, 04:20:22 AM »

I would argue that animal emotions are based on extinct and previous experiences, while humans have all that plus a concionce, an idea of what's right and wrong, and the ability to love a fellow human.
While I would argue that animal emotions are based on instinct and previous experiences aka intelligence, and that a conscience is not very well defined, an idea of what's right and wrong is a part of intelligence, and love is an instinct. And that humans are animals. We tend automatically to exaggerate the reflected part of our actions, and the instinctive part of animal actions; or maybe we can't judge ourselves fairly and frankly aren't supposed to be able to do that.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies