Pacific Legislature Official Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:10:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Pacific Legislature Official Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 ... 73
Author Topic: Pacific Legislature Official Thread  (Read 260621 times)
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1300 on: November 05, 2010, 10:00:07 AM »

People of the Pacific, I submit today a bill of primary importance :

We'll miss you Act

1. November 2th shall hereby be a mourning day known as the Russ, we'll miss you Day, in the honor of former Senator Russ Feingold.
2. During his day, any household that asks for shall be gratuitously supplied in yard signs, posters, T-shirts or pins displaying the words "Russ, we'll miss you", or a picture of Russ Feingold.
3. A household shall be entitled under section 2) to a maximum of two previously cited items.
4. No household that has already received two previously cited items from the Pacific government under section 2) in the previous 10 years shall be entitled to the provision of section 2).

I'd like to attract the attention of Mr Pacific Justice on the fact that, as fmr Senator Feingold has been restlessly working for general welfare for the last 18 years, the We'll miss you Act can be considered as promoting the general welfare.

I support this with no hesitation.Cry
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #1301 on: November 05, 2010, 01:37:38 PM »

We'll miss you Act

1. November 2th shall hereby be a mourning day known as the Russ, we'll miss you Day, in the honor of former Senator Russ Feingold.
2. During his day, any household that asks for shall be gratuitously supplied in yard signs, posters, T-shirts or pins displaying the words "Russ, we'll miss you", or a picture of Russ Feingold.
3. A household shall be entitled under section 2) to a maximum of two previously cited items.
4. No household that has already received two previously cited items from the Pacific government under section 2) in the previous 10 years shall be entitled to the provision of section 2).

I'd like to attract the attention of Mr Pacific Justice on the fact that, as fmr Senator Feingold has been restlessly working for general welfare for the last 18 years, the We'll miss you Act can be considered as promoting the general welfare.

Absolutely! Sad

X Oakvale. Let's put it to a vote.

AYE
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #1302 on: November 05, 2010, 02:53:06 PM »

Nay.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1303 on: November 05, 2010, 02:59:45 PM »

Aye
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1304 on: November 05, 2010, 04:56:58 PM »

We'll miss you Act

You're right.  Yes, this will bring closure to all those who will miss Russ, and help them deal with this loss.  I resoundingly approve this bill as constitutional.  It may be passed.

(A single tear glistens in the Justice's eye)
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1305 on: November 05, 2010, 09:38:11 PM »

Nay
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1306 on: November 06, 2010, 01:34:18 PM »

Hey guys, we need more votes !
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1307 on: November 06, 2010, 01:51:52 PM »

We'll miss you Act

You're right.  Yes, this will bring closure to all those who will miss Russ, and help them deal with this loss.  I resoundingly approve this bill as constitutional.  It may be passed.

I don't think that explanation justifies this being constitutional. This bill does not promote the general welfare as Feingold does not exist as far as Atlasia is concerned. Thus, to the people of the Pacific he has done nothing to promote general welfare, so this bill does not promote the general welfare.

I think Feingold was one of the better Dem senators, but when you consider he does not exist in Atlasia this bill seems in no way constitutional.   
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1308 on: November 06, 2010, 05:25:19 PM »

We'll miss you Act

I don't think that explanation justifies this being constitutional. This bill does not promote the general welfare as Feingold does not exist as far as Atlasia is concerned. Thus, to the people of the Pacific he has done nothing to promote general welfare, so this bill does not promote the general welfare.

I think Feingold was one of the better Dem senators, but when you consider he does not exist in Atlasia this bill seems in no way constitutional.   

I think it is, it does provide people with certain objects as well as an open day for mourning, which could be seen as welfare.  And it helps people come to terms with their loses. 

You can provide a bill which institutes a holiday, just not one that say "This day will be seen as this person's name day."  It should have some reason for why the bill is created. 
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #1309 on: November 07, 2010, 04:17:49 PM »

Who is this Russ Feingold? A Senator from some alternate universe? Cheesy
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1310 on: November 07, 2010, 04:51:51 PM »

Who is this Russ Feingold? A Senator from some alternate universe? Cheesy

Maybe he was a senator of another civilization a few years before Atlasia was founded, and he disappeared recently. 
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #1311 on: November 08, 2010, 08:35:01 AM »

Hey everybody,

After thinking about it for a bit, I'm going to have to side with those who say the Justice's proposal is unconstitutional. Sad

However, were it to be rewritten as a mere resolution mourning the loss of the fictional character "Sen. Feingold" in, uh, David Cronenberg's America or something, I don't think there'd be any objection to such. Wink

As is, I'll have to change my vote to NAY. Sorry.

In other news, after some reflection, I'm pleased to announce my support for Jbrase's proposal -

Amendment to The Religious Institution Classification Act 

The Religious Institution Classification Act is hereby amended to read:

Any church or religious institution that requires its members to pay fees shall henceforth be recognized as businesses by the Pacific Region.

2. Every other church or religious institution shall be tax exempt. These groups shall lose their tax exempt status should they:
a. Donate money to a political campaign.
b. Endorse anyone running for public office.
c. Begin requiring members to pay fee's for any reason other than paying for damaged property. 
d. Their school programs do not follow the required curriculum set forth by The Pacific.   

X Jbrase

X Oakvale

I'll leave it open for debate for another day or so, then open voting. Smiley
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #1312 on: November 09, 2010, 02:13:09 PM »

Okay, voting is now open on JBrase's amendment/bill, and will remain so for a week. You know the drill.

Amendment to The Religious Institution Classification Act 

The Religious Institution Classification Act is hereby amended to read:

Any church or religious institution that requires its members to pay fees shall henceforth be recognized as businesses by the Pacific Region.

2. Every other church or religious institution shall be tax exempt. These groups shall lose their tax exempt status should they:
a. Donate money to a political campaign.
b. Endorse anyone running for public office.
c. Begin requiring members to pay fee's for any reason other than paying for damaged property. 
d. Their school programs do not follow the required curriculum set forth by The Pacific.   

X Jbrase

Without further ado,

Amendment to The Religious Institution Classification Act: AYE
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1313 on: November 09, 2010, 05:19:57 PM »

Aye
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1314 on: November 09, 2010, 07:39:53 PM »

Aye.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #1315 on: November 09, 2010, 07:48:35 PM »

nay
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #1316 on: November 10, 2010, 03:06:15 PM »

Nay
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1317 on: November 11, 2010, 05:31:10 AM »

Aye
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #1318 on: November 12, 2010, 06:32:21 PM »

Nay
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1319 on: November 12, 2010, 07:49:02 PM »

The proposal leads me to question whether we are in the position to be providing such massive tax cuts to churches without considering the impact it would have on the budget.  Where is the revenue to replace it going to come from?
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1320 on: November 13, 2010, 03:05:46 AM »

The proposal leads me to question whether we are in the position to be providing such massive tax cuts to churches without considering the impact it would have on the budget.  Where is the revenue to replace it going to come from?

Looking back through Pacific statute I see plenty of bills passed that cost the region money while not providing a way to make up for it, yet you take issue when a bill stops taxing the money people donate to churches that would otherwise likely go to the churches funding non-profit programs to help those in need. Unless you are referring to Scientology or maybe a few mega churches it takes a very large misunderstanding of the word "business" to just label all churches as such.

maybe the region could make up the lost revenue by no longer paying for elective abortions. 
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1321 on: November 13, 2010, 08:16:38 AM »
« Edited: November 13, 2010, 08:24:18 AM by Ebowed »

There are periodic tax increases and decreases according to the budget outlines provided by the GM so as to maintain close to a balanced budget, if nothing else, so there is some basis to assume that the spending authorized throughout Pacific law is not as outrageous as you may like.  Given that the Pacific's unique tax structure places special emphasis on some items, such as religious institutions, that other regions do not, it allows us not to tax other items.  I am just wondering if you think along the same lines, or if you would prefer to begin gutting programs, starting with those which you find most ideologically repugnant.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1322 on: November 13, 2010, 03:00:00 PM »

I'm introducing this bill. I honestly can't believe this crap is on the books.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

X realisticidealist
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1323 on: November 13, 2010, 05:15:46 PM »
« Edited: November 13, 2010, 05:18:13 PM by Ebowed »

Pacific Freedom of Association Bill

1. No person shall be denied the right to discriminate against another person in employment or in the provision of public services, including accommodations, whether on the basis of race, ethnicity, sex, sexual orientation, or any other status outlined in statute or otherwise.
2. This law explicitly may not be interpreted to allow 'affirmative action' programs, which will remain illegal.

Pacific Protection of the Public Safety Bill

1. All statute limiting the power of the government and law enforcement to apprehend those who have consumed or are in possession of cannabis, whether for recreational, medical, or any other purpose, shall be repealed.
2. Any person found to be in possession of any amount of cannabis shall be required to serve a minimum of six months in prison, with a sentence not to exceed one-hundred years.
3. Any person found to be selling, distributing, or cultivating cannabis shall be required to serve a minimum of five years in prison, with a sentence not to exceed death.

We should also look at banning abortion, as a way of addressing the disparity between incarcerated men and women.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1324 on: November 13, 2010, 09:49:04 PM »

I'm introducing this bill. I honestly can't believe this crap is on the books.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

X realisticidealist

X Jbrase
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 ... 73  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies