Pacific Legislature Official Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:27:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Pacific Legislature Official Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 71 ... 73
Author Topic: Pacific Legislature Official Thread  (Read 260429 times)
Junkie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -4.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1625 on: July 19, 2011, 06:39:13 PM »

Obviously, the bill will only be up for debate until there are others to cosign with you. Tongue

Now that I am back from New York, I can be on here now (I miss having a life):

Give and You Shall Receive Act: Passed 5-2-0
Pacific Representation Act: Passed 4-3-0

Sorry guys but I'm going to have to pull a veto on the Pacific Representation Act, considering that Kal's amendment has rendered it void nonetheless.

x ArchangelZero

As much as I believe that the veto is the right thing to do, I believe the Constitution says you have to do it within one week of its passage.  Am I wrong on that?

Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #1626 on: July 20, 2011, 10:40:16 AM »
« Edited: July 20, 2011, 10:46:40 AM by Governor (The) Doctor »

Obviously, the bill will only be up for debate until there are others to cosign with you. Tongue

Now that I am back from New York, I can be on here now (I miss having a life):

Give and You Shall Receive Act: Passed 5-2-0
Pacific Representation Act: Passed 4-3-0

Sorry guys but I'm going to have to pull a veto on the Pacific Representation Act, considering that Kal's amendment has rendered it void nonetheless.

x ArchangelZero

As much as I believe that the veto is the right thing to do, I believe the Constitution says you have to do it within one week of its passage.  Am I wrong on that?

Well that is correct.  Hm, seems like we have hit a little snag here.  Obviously, Kal's amendment should cause the bill to become void anyways, but I am not sure whether or not technically it goes into the statute.  Or else this might be a legal dispute (please no).

Are there amendments we are supposed to be voting on?

Yes, and once again, I profusely apologize for the lateness of the voting booths being put up.  I did not anticipate Hotel Operations to take up that much of my time the past few weeks.Sad
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #1627 on: July 21, 2011, 08:28:10 PM »

It should go into the statute. It simply won't take effect unless there is a further amendment to the federal constitution. I'm not an expert in legalese, but I think it might technically stay at bill-status (instead of act-status).

Anyway, I'm re-introducing the following if necessary. Please sign them!!!  They need two more people other than myself to sign them. Smiley

Sustainable Pacifican Cities Bill
1) There shall be no locally-mandated building height limits below 125' within 1/4 a mile of a rail transit system station, including but not limited to rapid transit and light rail.
2) There shall be no locally-mandated parking requirement above 0.5 parking stalls per unit within 1/4 a mile of a rail transit system station, including but not limited to rapid transit and light rail.
3) High-density, transit-oriented residential developments within 1/2 a mile of a rail transit system, including but not limited to rapid transit and light rail, as well as bus rapid transit, shall be exempt from regional taxes. High-density residential projects shall be defined as those with at least 100 units per acre.

Oceania Incorporation Bill
1) Whereas Oceania has recently been admitted as a state to Atlasia and become the 11th state of the Pacific Region following the passage of the federal government's Island Enfranchisement Act.
2) Whereas the state of Oceania is composed of the former Atlasian territories of Guam, American Samoa, and the Northern Mariana Islands, with the admittance of Palau, the Marshall Islands, the Federated States of Micronesia, and Samoa pre-approved should they decide to join by democratic means.
3) Whereas each former territory and each future potential entrant of Oceania currently have their own local governments and are separated from each other by distances of up to many hundreds of miles.
4) Therefore each former territory and potential future entrant shall maintain their local governments which shall become county-level equivalents in the new state of Oceania. The state of Oceania will thus largely be used as a vehicle to ensure full voting rights for Oceanians in federal elections.

X bgwah
X bgwah
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1628 on: July 21, 2011, 11:18:29 PM »

Sustainable Pacifican Cities Bill
X Sbane

X Sbane
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1629 on: July 22, 2011, 03:48:54 AM »

X MaxQue

For the other bill, I don't know yet.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1630 on: July 22, 2011, 07:54:15 AM »

X Antonio V, to the two bills.

As for the PA representation Act, I think it should go in the Statute, but could be constitutionally challenged. Wanna see an Atlasia vs Pacific case ? Grin
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1631 on: July 24, 2011, 12:38:56 AM »

X Antonio V, to the two bills.

As for the PA representation Act, I think it should go in the Statute, but could be constitutionally challenged. Wanna see an Atlasia vs Pacific case ? Grin

That would be rather interesting to see, if for the wrong reasons.Wink

Voting is open on the Pacifican Cities Bill and the Oceania Incorporation Bill.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1632 on: July 24, 2011, 12:41:10 AM »

Sustainable Pacifican Cities Bill: Aye
Oceania Incorporation Bill: Aye
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1633 on: July 24, 2011, 01:13:23 AM »

Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1634 on: July 24, 2011, 02:00:26 AM »

Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1635 on: July 24, 2011, 02:15:38 AM »

For the record, I will sue the Governor if he does not open a booth in the October elections for the second Pacific seat. The law is not unconstitutional until the Supreme Court rules it so, and if the Governor does not enforce and follow the laws of this region then he is not doing his elected duty.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1636 on: July 24, 2011, 05:44:21 AM »

Aye/Aye
Junkie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1637 on: July 24, 2011, 10:29:23 AM »

For the record, I will sue the Governor if he does not open a booth in the October elections for the second Pacific seat. The law is not unconstitutional until the Supreme Court rules it so, and if the Governor does not enforce and follow the laws of this region then he is not doing his elected duty.

It does present a good question.  Legally, the statute is in direct violation of the Constitution.  However, it was legally passed by the Region (although after becoming unconstitutional).  To throw one more snag in it, it was vetoed by the Governor.  Now I do believe that the veto was unconstitutional by the Pacific Constitution, but as you have pointed out, it is still law until struck down by a Court.

So here is how I see it.  The law has been vetoed.  It is no longer valid, thus the Governor does not have to open an election because the law is struck.  The Governor has not rescinded his veto, and I don't think he can.

So first, someone has to go to court to get the veto oveturned on Constitiutional grounds (do we have a regional justice anymore?).  If the veto is not upheld, then you can get to the voting booth issue.

For legal geeks, this is pretty cool.  You have an unconstituional statute vetoed illegally by the Governor.  This could become very interesting.
Junkie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1638 on: July 24, 2011, 10:30:58 AM »

Sustainable Pacifican Cities Bill: Nay
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1639 on: July 24, 2011, 10:56:54 AM »

Add to that that we don't have a Pacific Justice since I left the office in January... I think we're going to enjoy some massive legal bickering. Grin
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1640 on: July 24, 2011, 10:18:20 PM »

The Pacific Representation Act also isn't actually unconstitutional (even with the amendment) if we tweak its language a tad. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it though.
Junkie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1641 on: July 24, 2011, 11:24:26 PM »

The Pacific Representation Act also isn't actually unconstitutional (even with the amendment) if we tweak its language a tad. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it though.

You might have a point from a strictly legal point of view.  However, as the veto still stands the bill would have to be re-introduced again and passed.  Unless, of course you go to court and get the veto declared unconstitutional.  But, then the Court may take a look at the statute and strike it down. 

I have made it clear I do not support this because I think it is unconstitutional, will lead to a regional senate creation war, and overall take away from the fun.

But the legal geek in me tips my hat.  It was and is brilliant. 
Junkie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1642 on: July 25, 2011, 07:40:20 AM »

Another wrinkle I just thought of.  This statute created a Federal position not a regional one.  Thus, I do not believe the Governor would be able to open a voting booth as that would the duty of Teddy, I believe. 

Interesting little chain of events.  Unconstitutional law illegally vetoed that could require an usurption of federal power by a regional government.  This is not what I expected to encounter when coming to the Pacific, but it is sure fun to think about.
Jackson
United States

« Reply #1643 on: July 25, 2011, 08:19:09 AM »

(P.S. If no-one is currently serving as Pacific justice, could I volunteer for the position?)
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1644 on: July 26, 2011, 10:52:45 PM »

(P.S. If no-one is currently serving as Pacific justice, could I volunteer for the position?)

I certainly wouldn't mind, but the Governor would have to appoint you. Smiley
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1645 on: August 03, 2011, 10:37:58 PM »

Since the amendment to the federal constitution allowing the regions to choose how their vacant Senate seats are filled was passed, I didn't think it would hurt to introduce legislation dealing with this...

Here is a starter bill that just uses the current and de facto system:

Senate Vacancy Bill
1) Should there be a vacancy for any federal Senate seat delegated to the Pacific Region, the Governor shall appoint a replacement for the remainder of the term.

I'm certainly open to more ideas--- special elections, whatever. I'm not asking for signatures or voting yet. I just thought this might be something worth discussing. Smiley
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1646 on: August 04, 2011, 04:36:42 AM »

It could be nice to have by-elections, if the vacancy occur before 1 month prior to the regular election.
Junkie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1647 on: August 04, 2011, 07:20:02 AM »

It could be nice to have by-elections, if the vacancy occur before 1 month prior to the regular election.

I agree.  In Wisconsin, when local seats become open there is a deadline.  If the opening happens before that date, there is an appointment.  If after that date, it is filled with by an election.  I think Antonio's idea of switching that makes sense.  If it is close to the next election, no reason for two elections in short order.  However, if there is a few months, it would make sense to have a special election.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1648 on: August 04, 2011, 06:54:35 PM »

What about six weeks? That's what the federal government uses for the at-large seats, and I'm a fan of consistency. Tongue
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1649 on: August 04, 2011, 08:44:03 PM »

Both the Sustainable Pacifican Cities Bill (3-1) and the Oceania Incorporation Act (4-0) have passed.

x ArchangelZero

Winfield sent me a copy of the Vote Sanctity Act, and I would like to get the citizens' opinions on it.  Here is the text:

Vote Sanctity Act
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Do you guys think that a similar act would be good for the Pacific?
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 71 ... 73  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies