Pacific Legislature Official Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:25:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Pacific Legislature Official Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 ... 73
Author Topic: Pacific Legislature Official Thread  (Read 260402 times)
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1375 on: November 27, 2010, 08:37:30 PM »

Ban of Automatic Weapons Act

4 Aye
3 Nay
2 (abstain)

I veto.

*runs and hides*

Oh, and hopefully I can open voting on the aforementioned latest amendment next week.

No need to run and hide, you can defend yourself with automatic weapons. Smiley

Not that I'm any great fan of gun ownership, but it doesn't achieve much to ban assault rifles, really. How many crimes are committed with an AK? Tongue

I don't know, want to find out?   Tongue

We could ask some people in Mexico City, maybe they will know. 
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1376 on: November 27, 2010, 09:47:14 PM »

I will be resigning from my post as Pacific Justice, effective immediately.  I would rather just be a Regional Activist.

And I am not resigning to run for another office.  Tongue

It's been an honor, I guess. 
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1377 on: November 28, 2010, 04:23:21 AM »

I will be resigning from my post as Pacific Justice, effective immediately.  I would rather just be a Regional Activist.

And I am not resigning to run for another office.  Tongue

We'll miss you. Smiley
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1378 on: November 28, 2010, 01:26:44 PM »

I will be resigning from my post as Pacific Justice, effective immediately.  I would rather just be a Regional Activist.

You served well with your mighty gavel of justice. Smiley
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #1379 on: November 28, 2010, 02:21:03 PM »

This is unexpected, and deeply disappointing.  Sad

Thank you for your genuinely distinguished service, and good luck.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1380 on: November 28, 2010, 09:18:56 PM »

I'm introducing this bill. I honestly can't believe this crap is on the books.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

X realisticidealist

X Jbrase

just thought I'd bump this.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #1381 on: November 29, 2010, 01:10:34 AM »
« Edited: December 05, 2010, 02:20:27 AM by The Right Honourable Director of Halifax, Lt. Gov The Doctor »

My final draft of the Legislation bill, incorporating various ideas given by all of you, as well as one of my own:

bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #1382 on: November 29, 2010, 02:59:19 AM »

I would like to amend it from "Pacific Council" to "Pacific Supreme Council"
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1383 on: November 29, 2010, 10:39:13 AM »

Only if you can come up with a cool name for the Assembly.Wink
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1384 on: November 29, 2010, 11:12:45 AM »

The Pacific General Assembly Amendment : Aye
Repeal of the Public Funding of Abortion Act : Nay
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #1385 on: November 29, 2010, 12:29:48 PM »

A few things:

1. Six months is too long. I would suggest making them three-month terms and having elections every month.
2. Members of the Council should not be part of the Assembly.
3. The Lieutenant Governorship should be abolished with the creation of the Council, as it's not really a useful office anyway.
4. The initial election should be held by STV. The top finisher should serve a full term, the second-place finisher should serve a two-month term (or four months, if we use six-month terms), and the third-place finisher should have the shortest term.
5. If a replacement Councilor is appointed, he should only serve until the next election.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #1386 on: November 29, 2010, 01:20:21 PM »

Guys, guys, voting's not open yet. Chill.

As for the Public Funding of Abortion Act, I'll add my signature. I don't agree with the bill, and won't be voting for it, but I believe it should be at least put to a vote.

I'll open voting on both in a day or so. Smiley
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1387 on: November 29, 2010, 01:57:48 PM »
« Edited: November 29, 2010, 02:01:50 PM by The Right Honourable Director of Halifax, Lt. Gov The Doctor »

A few things:

1. Six months is too long. I would suggest making them three-month terms and having elections every month.
3. The Lieutenant Governorship should be abolished with the creation of the Council, as it's not really a useful office anyway.
4. The initial election should be held by STV. The top finisher should serve a full term, the second-place finisher should serve a two-month term (or four months, if we use six-month terms), and the third-place finisher should have the shortest term.
5. If a replacement Councilor is appointed, he should only serve until the next election.

I was wondering as to whether or not we should go with Jbrase's idea and put the whole Council up for a grabs (at-large style) every four months (concurrently with the Presidential elections).

As for the abolishment of my position, I think it's still useful in some way (Acting as a surrogate and historian for the region).

I agree with 2 and 5.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1388 on: November 29, 2010, 03:23:18 PM »

I like the idea of one-third-at-time elections. Maybe though it could be 3 months instead of 6 as Xahar suggested.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1389 on: November 29, 2010, 03:45:16 PM »

3 months would result in elections during odd-months, which I would rather avoid.

Only if you can come up with a cool name for the Assembly.Wink

How about the People's House, since we can all vote there? Grin
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #1390 on: November 29, 2010, 04:01:50 PM »
« Edited: November 29, 2010, 08:35:46 PM by Χahar »

A few things:

I was wondering as to whether or not we should go with Jbrase's idea and put the whole Council up for a grabs (at-large style) every four months (concurrently with the Presidential elections).

As for the abolishment of my position, I think it's still useful in some way (Acting as a surrogate and historian for the region).

I agree with 2 and 5.

When you think about it, there's really no need to have an odd number of members. Perhaps four members serving four-month terms, elected two at a time?

I think that the duties of the Lieutenant Governor would be better served folded into the position of President of the Legislative Council.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1391 on: November 29, 2010, 04:16:55 PM »

Since the assembly is still every citizen of the Pacific, does that mean that a Councilor could still vote in the assembly as well as in the Council?
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1392 on: November 29, 2010, 06:49:38 PM »
« Edited: November 29, 2010, 06:51:47 PM by The Right Honourable Director of Halifax, Lt. Gov The Doctor »

Since the assembly is still every citizen of the Pacific, does that mean that a Councilor could still vote in the assembly as well as in the Council?

I would say that since the Councilor has technically voted already, they won't vote as part of the People's Assembly (Thanks Bgwah Smiley)

A few things:

I agree with 2 and 5.

When you think about it, there's really no need to have an even number of members. Perhaps four members serving four-month terms, elected two at a time?

I think that the duties of the Lieutenant Governor would be better served folded into the position of President of the Legislative Council.

I like this idea.  Maybe we can simply combine the Lieutenant Governor and the President of the Council positions so that the position is meaningful.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1393 on: November 30, 2010, 02:31:14 AM »
« Edited: November 30, 2010, 02:32:49 AM by Jbrase »

X Jbrase

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1394 on: November 30, 2010, 05:12:32 AM »

X Jbrase

We, the Pacific Justice, officially deem the Cobain-Bieber bill as unconstitutional.

The Constitution of the Pacific Region expressly States that "The Pacific Region shall not deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law, or deny to any person the equal protection of the laws, or pass any bill of attainder or ex post facto law. " (III, 4). We consider that section 1 violates the bolded clause, at its provision singles out a specific person.

The Pacific Consitution also states that "The Pacific Region shall not abridge the freedom of speech, or of the press, or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." (III, 2). We consider that deciding whether or not Justin Bieber is the new Kurt Kobain is a freedom of speech that belongs to each individual.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1395 on: November 30, 2010, 02:57:29 PM »

X Jbrase

We, the Pacific Justice, officially deem the Cobain-Bieber bill as unconstitutional.

The Constitution of the Pacific Region expressly States that "The Pacific Region shall not deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law, or deny to any person the equal protection of the laws, or pass any bill of attainder or ex post facto law. " (III, 4). We consider that section 1 violates the bolded clause, at its provision singles out a specific person.

The Pacific Consitution also states that "The Pacific Region shall not abridge the freedom of speech, or of the press, or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." (III, 2). We consider that deciding whether or not Justin Bieber is the new Kurt Kobain is a freedom of speech that belongs to each individual.

Excellent call.  

Some advise to Jbrase, you could simply put a small sin tax on CD's instead or something.  Wink
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #1396 on: November 30, 2010, 03:48:10 PM »

I'm gonna open voting on a final version of the legislature thing, Antonio's nomination as Pacific Justice, and so on tomorrow. Smiley
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1397 on: November 30, 2010, 11:31:34 PM »

I'm gonna open voting on a final version of the legislature thing, Antonio's nomination as Pacific Justice, and so on tomorrow. Smiley

Wait until I revise the Legislature bill first.Tongue
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #1398 on: December 01, 2010, 01:31:21 PM »

Tongue
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1399 on: December 01, 2010, 02:30:25 PM »

Don't forget... SUPREME council. Got it? SUPREME. Tongue
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 ... 73  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies