Pacific Legislature Official Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:42:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Pacific Legislature Official Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Pacific Legislature Official Thread  (Read 260940 times)
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: June 10, 2009, 09:35:26 PM »

Just a question, why doesn't the Pacific move their legislature thread to the Elections main board so that new members are more aware of its existence?
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 09:56:29 PM »

Just a question, why doesn't the Pacific move their legislature thread to the Elections main board so that new members are more aware of its existence?

It's never crossed my mind, but I suspect it would frequently fall off the first page, making it even less noticeable.

You're probably right around times like this, when campaigns seem to take up the first two pages, but the Mideast Assembly thread seems to do well nonetheless. And it has proven to attract many new members due to its availability.

I'm not even saying start a new one. You could always get a mod to move it.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 01:50:57 PM »

I note that this region is undergoing a totally innocent population boom.

Perhaps the recent excitement will spur the legislature to be more active?
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 08:39:20 PM »

I note that this region is undergoing a totally innocent population boom.

Perhaps the recent excitement will spur the legislature to be more active?

I'm sure the drones will be active, as always!

Well, he needs to act like they are not drones and than they will be active, since he will need RPP votes to be reelected. He panders to them since a while, while denying it.

Is this like your new thing Max? Lord almighty. Has the JCP taken on some concerted effort to run a negative campaign against me? Or is it just Marokai and Max? Fritz had fallen into doing it at one point, but he stopped when he realized how silly it is.

But seriously Max, I'm more than willing to see you prove how I have attempted to curry favor with one party any more than the others. The truth is, you're just grasping at straws.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 08:29:05 PM »

Once GM I will be giving you all the information on your regional economic outlook at some point, hopefully in the first week or two. Until then you will have to guess.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 11:26:43 PM »

I see no reason to ban a sales tax on books. You get to the point to where you may as well suggest banning sales taxes on everything, because there's nothing special about books that require protection, unlike something like food, or something that is disproportionately consumed by poor people, such as cigarettes or alcohol. A sales tax on books is not particularly regressive or harmful, and is a constant and broad source or income, as opposed to a targeted income tax hike.

We should do our best to make books more accessible to all ages and incomes. I don't actually think there is a necessity to remove the ban. Taxes on cigarettes I find helpful to the poor in that they discourage consumption, therefore an incentive for quitting, which allows them to spend their income on something else, and for health, as cigarette's are clearly not very healthy. I don't think removing the tax really brings in enough additional revenue to make a positive impact but I'm open to other's suggestions and arguments.

Tobacco taxes are pretty much counting on continued consumption of cigarettes to provide income. They are punishing people for an uncontrollable addiction. Sin taxes are generally not backed up much by the idea that they reduce consumption. What would do much better at that is regulating marketing activities, creating tighter restrictions on companies, etc.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 08:57:47 AM »

We could look at lifting the exemption for religious organizations as a way of raising revenue instead.

Sales taxes are regressive, and while I don't mind some of the sales taxes we have on the books, I don't think expanding them is pertinent.

That's an interesting idea for replacing the book sales tax, although I still need no reason to keep it eliminated. You may as well eliminate the sales tax on CDs, video games, and comics. But in any case, I'm not sure how exactly we'd write that..

If you wanted a non-regressive system, you could remove silly sales taxes and put in place a VAT tax on luxury goods.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 11:58:49 PM »

Just wanted to let you all know I am paying attention to you. I'm hoping at least one region can act on budget reports I put out.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 10:59:59 PM »

Just wanted to let you all know I am paying attention to you. I'm hoping at least one region can act on budget reports I put out.

If my tax code were to pass, what would the budget be?

Not really sure why this is in the Pacific Legislature thread, but the tax code would increase revenues in the region and go a good way towards closing your budget deficit.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 12:58:50 AM »

I am quite enjoying Lunar's (semi?) return to Atlasia. Definitely nice to have one of the better and funnier posters on the forum livening things up.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2009, 09:29:03 PM »

You are displacing countless processing plants, forcing them to close down and layoff workers. This will also increase the price of kosher and halal meat/poultry in the Pacific.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2009, 12:42:26 AM »

Both of those bills are brilliant. Hopefully the Mideast can introduce similar bills.

What? No.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2009, 05:11:14 PM »

I've been trying to help you out!

The previous legislative votes could also use certification.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2009, 12:06:38 AM »

On the other hand it could more easily fall off the first page.

The current situation is like keeping it on the last page. You only go there if you know what is there already.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2010, 01:21:34 AM »

Is the first constitutional under the Atlasian Constitution?
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2010, 01:37:53 AM »

That, I'm afraid, is something I cannot comment on.

Haha, Marokai without a comment. Quoted for posterity's sake. Tongue
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2010, 01:39:59 AM »

That, I'm afraid, is something I cannot comment on.

Haha, Marokai without a comment. Quoted for posterity's sake. Tongue

I'm not allowed! Tongue

Oh I am well aware. Doesn't lessen the humor in it.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2010, 02:06:45 AM »

Your budget report is up. The deficit is lower, but not closed. Here is an idea on how to close it.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2010, 10:17:25 PM »

Your budget report is up. The deficit is lower, but not closed. Here is an idea on how to close it.

What, specifically, could we do to accomplish that?

One very good option is passage of legislation allowing for citizens to agree to disband and consolidate certain levels of government. This could reduce the layers of taxes on the citizens and reduce region-level expenditures on local government operations.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2010, 09:29:35 PM »

Where did all of this activity come from?
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2010, 05:25:46 PM »
« Edited: April 19, 2010, 05:27:59 PM by GM Purple State »

Who the hell told ya'll to be active all of a sudden? Tongue

Good to see this. I can report on more than potential war in the Pacific now.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2010, 02:00:40 AM »

As the proposed new Constitution must be ratified by the regions, I am posting this public service announcement in the threads of the regional legislatures:

Very Important Announcement

The Constitutional Convention is reaching its end, with the final two documents being voted on as we speak.

At this time, delegates and all Atlasians are welcome to offer their thoughts on an amendment to ANY part of the new Constitution, which will be considered all at once in one final amendment vote coming up in the next 48-72 hours. This means that any changes you would like to see to the current document should be offered right now.

Here is the relevant announcement in the Convention thread:

During the next 48 hours, please offer any amendments, as well as debate, that you would like to see considered for any part of the document. This is your last chance to make finishing touches to any of the more controversial changes, including dual-office holding, regional legislatures, the legislative restart, etc.

Feel free to offer opposing variations to amendments as well, which will then be brought up as a package vote.

Here is the relevant links to help you out:

Constitutional Convention thread

Constitutional Convention completed documents page

Please review the completed documents and post here or in the Convention thread with your comments, ideas or amendments. I would be happy to offer well thought out amendments on behalf of non-delegates.

This is a crucial moment in this process, as the next step is a final vote and then presentation to the regions for approval.

Thanks,
~President Purple State

Articles VII and VIII have been passed and the entire proposed Third Constitution is now nearly set. There is now just under 24 hours remaining for the proposal of amendments to any part of this document, before a final vote and presentation to the regions for the ratification process.

Please, I implore all the citizens of Atlasia, read through the completed documents page (linked in the quoted announcement above) and propose any amendments in this thread or in the Constitutional Convention thread (also linked above). Even if you don't know how to word the amendment properly, provide your thoughts and I will help you out.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2010, 09:03:17 PM »

Wow, this thread is in the same board as all the other legislatures? I proposed that over 30 pages ago.

Progress! Tongue
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies