Yet the train never stopped...and the beat goes on!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:14:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Yet the train never stopped...and the beat goes on!
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Yet the train never stopped...and the beat goes on!  (Read 2133 times)
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 07, 2005, 10:48:27 PM »
« edited: September 07, 2005, 10:51:35 PM by jmfcst »

Got to be frustrating for the Liberals.  Just when they think they have him, he slips through their fingers once again!

Gore wins the popular vote...Bush claims the presidency.

The economy goes into recession under Bush's watch...Bush cuts taxes.

Country attacked during Bush's watch...the GOP takes control of the Senate.

Deficit soars...Bush cuts taxes again.

No WMD found...Bush wins reelection.

Iraq quagmire...Bush passes CAFTA.

Ratings in the low 40's...Bush replaces moderate O'Connor with a 50 yr old conservative.

New Orleans drowns...Bush replaces Rehnquist.

....And the beat goes on.  And the train won't stop!

Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 12:01:37 AM »

na ne na, ne nah, ne nanena nah, ne nah, ne nah, ne nah ne nana, ne na, ne nah, na ne nah na, ne nah, ne na...
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 12:05:25 AM »

Not meaning to sound hyperpartisan here, but it's amazing what the man gets away with without a huge approval ratings hit.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2005, 12:07:29 AM »

I think it's something to do with buck-passing; he never claims responsibility for anything. I'm not saying Kerry would be any better necessarily (although i believe he probably would be), but Bush is never to blame for anything. It helps that he can put on the 'ignorant Texan' and get away with it.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2005, 12:08:17 AM »

Not meaning to sound hyperpartisan here, but it's amazing what the man gets away with without a huge approval ratings hit.

A significant portion of the electorate is made up of hateful, intolerant religious like jmfcst here.  Hitler was also extremely popular.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2005, 12:09:55 AM »

A significant portion of the electorate is made up of hateful, intolerant religious like jmfcst here.  Hitler was also extremely popular.

(since this is the liberal thread):  Hey, at least Hitler had better public speaking ability.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2005, 12:10:14 AM »

A significant portion of the electorate is made up of hateful, intolerant religious like jmfcst here.  Hitler was also extremely popular.

And so are kittens, so Bush must be cuddly.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2005, 12:11:33 AM »

Not meaning to sound hyperpartisan here, but Republicans are responsible for every single bad thing that's happened in world history and the Democrats are God's chosen party.

Hahaha, okay, I needed relief from my boredom.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2005, 12:13:28 AM »

No, you see my point was that jmfcst's post was irrelevant because of Bush's similarity to Hitler.

I'm sure various religious Nazi sympathizers crowed about Hitler's policy successes - like the slaughter of the Jews - just as jmfcst is now crowing about the Bush regime's policy achievements.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2005, 12:15:39 AM »

No, you see my point was that jmfcst's post was irrelevant because of Bush's similarity to Hitler.

Yes, because Bush is planning to kill six million Jews...
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2005, 01:07:02 AM »

don't forget the gypsies!
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2005, 03:31:55 AM »

That's what he gets for not vetoing $230 million bridges to nowhere in Alaska, and similar stuff.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2005, 07:18:03 AM »

The Democrats, in the past few decades, have done an almost unbelievably good job at making themselves unpopular and disgusting a sizable part of the electorate - due to some horrible policies (I find their economic policies simply deplorable, but its the social policies and foreign policy that get most people in a bind). Therefore, all the Republicans need are a few catchphrases and a decent fundraising/vote-getting machine, and can be lackadasical as far as actually running the country. Also, the Democrats have tilted so far left, that the Republicans can go all populist batsh*t and still keep right-libertarian support.

Therefore, what the country needs is either a strong third party, actual leaders in the Republican party, and/or actual moderate leaders in the Democratic party. Sadly, none of them are overly probable.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2005, 07:22:05 AM »

Therefore, what the country needs is either a strong third party, actual leaders in the Republican party, and/or actual moderate leaders in the Democratic party. Sadly, none of them are overly probable.

AMEN BUDDY!  Bring forth the "new" Reform party!  Time to fix all that the Democrats and Republicans have broken over the years.  Smiley
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix
E: 8.50, S: -0.62

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2005, 11:54:34 AM »

An SNL skit just after Clinton beat the impeachment trial showed Bill walk up to a podium in the Rose Garden:

Clinton: I AM BULLETPROOF!
<he starts to walk away, then has a thought and returns to the mic>
Clinton: Next time, you best bring Kryptonite.

Bush is starting to get a similar reputation.  Let's review all the terrible scandals that were supposed to sink Bush over the last six months or so.

DeLay:  This was supposed to rock the entire Party, sent DeLay to federal prison, win the House for the Dems, and tarnish Bush's presidency for the remainder of his term.  Sadly for the Dems, the public has nearly zero interest in this.  Now it seems the worst that win happen is that DeLay will be reprimanded and might have to give up his leadership position.  Bush will not be affected.

DSM:  This is the great smoking gun that was going to lead to Bush's impeachment.  It was a minor news item for about a week.  There was nothing in the memo of interest to the public, because people already pretty much had made up their minds on the issue.

Rovegate:  The (grand) jury is still out on this, but it seems unlikely that anything major will happen.  The worst case scenario is that Rove is indicted and is forced to resign.  This would be a minor embarrassment to Bush, but would pass quickly.  I think it is more likely that Rove will not be indicted and the whole issue will fade from the media, as the public has already long since lost interest.

Cindy Sheehan:  This was supposed to touch off a great era of peace protests, the likes of which have not been seen since Vietnam.  Camp Casey averaged about one or two dozen protestors and the march on Washington has now been put on hiatus.  No semi-moderate Democrat will touch Cindy with a ten-foot poll thanks to her ridiculous demand that the Israelis pull out of Israel.  Her plan for peace in the Middle East is total, unilateral capitulation by the West.  This is the last thing Democrats want to be associated with.

Katrina:  Bush's head of FEMA is a screw up, key Republicans make bad PR statements, and the administration's defense of the fed's actions have been almost non-existent.  The DNC flew into full-on mudslinging mode before the hurricane had moved on and Democrats at every level have been ripping Bush for over a week.  The result?  Far more people blame the State and local governments for the disaster than blame Bush.

Next scandal, you best bring Kryptonite.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2005, 11:58:30 AM »

So basically this thread amounts to giving Republicans another chance to gloat?  I guess they deserve it after eight years of Clinton.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2005, 10:53:58 PM »

A picture of the train if JRB is nominated:

Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2005, 11:29:17 PM »

An SNL skit just after Clinton beat the impeachment trial showed Bill walk up to a podium in the Rose Garden:

Bush is starting to get a similar reputation.  Let's review all the terrible scandals that were supposed to sink Bush over the last six months or so.

DeLay:  This was supposed to rock the entire Party, sent DeLay to federal prison, win the House for the Dems, and tarnish Bush's presidency for the remainder of his term.  Sadly for the Dems, the public has nearly zero interest in this.  Now it seems the worst that win happen is that DeLay will be reprimanded and might have to give up his leadership position.  Bush will not be affected.

DSM:  This is the great smoking gun that was going to lead to Bush's impeachment.  It was a minor news item for about a week.  There was nothing in the memo of interest to the public, because people already pretty much had made up their minds on the issue.

Rovegate:  The (grand) jury is still out on this, but it seems unlikely that anything major will happen.  The worst case scenario is that Rove is indicted and is forced to resign.  This would be a minor embarrassment to Bush, but would pass quickly.  I think it is more likely that Rove will not be indicted and the whole issue will fade from the media, as the public has already long since lost interest.

Cindy Sheehan:  This was supposed to touch off a great era of peace protests, the likes of which have not been seen since Vietnam.  Camp Casey averaged about one or two dozen protestors and the march on Washington has now been put on hiatus.  No semi-moderate Democrat will touch Cindy with a ten-foot poll thanks to her ridiculous demand that the Israelis pull out of Israel.  Her plan for peace in the Middle East is total, unilateral capitulation by the West.  This is the last thing Democrats want to be associated with.

Katrina:  Bush's head of FEMA is a screw up, key Republicans make bad PR statements, and the administration's defense of the fed's actions have been almost non-existent.  The DNC flew into full-on mudslinging mode before the hurricane had moved on and Democrats at every level have been ripping Bush for over a week.  The result?  Far more people blame the State and local governments for the disaster than blame Bush.

Nah, I'll just skip the kool-aid and let natural selection take it's course.   Sooner or later the adults will be in charge once again.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2005, 12:36:07 AM »

Your train will be made out of neon lighting?

That's one lightweight train.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2005, 05:52:03 AM »

I can only assume by your racist charicature that 'JRB', whoever that is, must be one of your party's uncle toms.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2005, 12:11:03 PM »

Got to be frustrating for the Liberals.  Just when they think they have him, he slips through their fingers once again!

Excellent two days for Bush!  Miers withdraws, Rove escapes indictment....now all Bush has to do is nominate a rock-solid conservative to the SCOTUS on Monday or Tuesday.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2005, 12:51:06 PM »

Excellent two days for Bush!  Miers withdraws, Rove escapes indictment....now all Bush has to do is nominate a rock-solid conservative to the SCOTUS on Monday or Tuesday.

Please, the term is 'theocrat'.
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix
E: 8.50, S: -0.62

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2005, 03:28:46 PM »

Nah, I'll just skip the kool-aid and let natural selection take it's course.   Sooner or later the adults will be in charge once again.

Hey, thanks for digging that one up.  I think I've done awfully well:

DeLay: He was indicted on a very weak charge that will probably not get a conviction.  He had to give up his leadership position, but was not reprimanded.  Most importantly, the effect on Bush has turned out to be nearly zero and the public has lost interest.

DSM: Still a non-issue.

RoveGate: No indictment of Rove yet, but it is obvious that no major crime was committed and that the scandal won't extend to Bush or Cheney themselves.  Also, quick pleas will cause the issue to fade long before the 2006 elections.

Cindy Sheehan:  Hillary met with her--a huge mistake.  Now Hillary has suffered a major setback with the anti-war wing of the party.  Cindy's continued fame is hurting Democrats far more than Republicans.

Katrina: No lasting effect on Bush.  Average Americans are sick and tierd of rabid partisanship.  Blaming Bush for the existence of the Hurricane is absurd, and is backfiring.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies