SAM News Corp. Comment and Debate thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:58:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SAM News Corp. Comment and Debate thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11
Author Topic: SAM News Corp. Comment and Debate thread  (Read 20311 times)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: October 28, 2005, 02:07:50 PM »

Sam, I found myself agreeing with almost everything in your most recent editorial, which summed up perfectly, in my opinion, all that's been going on in Atlasia as of late.  I hadn't even considered some of the implications you discuss, and they've both given me new perspective on all this as well as convinced me that my feelings about it have been reasonable.  Thank you for your continued insights as GM.

You're welcome, Q.  Always glad to be of help.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #101 on: November 02, 2005, 10:51:01 AM »
« Edited: November 02, 2005, 12:29:00 PM by True Republicans Bash Bush »

My "infamous" budged cut still would have left a huge deficit.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #102 on: November 02, 2005, 01:24:43 PM »

First to join in the fun was Ben Meyers, who made an acknowledged carpetbagging manuever in order to run for the seat, moving from Florida to New York in order to make himself legal and ineligible.

I'm not sure what was meant by this.  Could you clarify?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #103 on: November 02, 2005, 03:32:51 PM »

First to join in the fun was Ben Meyers, who made an acknowledged carpetbagging manuever in order to run for the seat, moving from Florida to New York in order to make himself legal and ineligible.

I'm not sure what was meant by this.  Could you clarify?

Typo.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #104 on: November 02, 2005, 03:44:56 PM »

Ah ok, I was confused by it. Wink
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #105 on: November 03, 2005, 03:05:24 PM »

I'm back to annoy you about budget stuff.  Sorry.

If isntead of conslidating all government agency's headqauretrs to San Francsico, we did it in Sacramento where there is a lot of infrastructure for the bureacracy already in place (buildings, mainly), are there any addiutional savings?  Moving to San Fran was a savings of 1%, and our previous discussionsa are on the earlier pages of this thread.

Thanks.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #106 on: November 03, 2005, 03:35:20 PM »

If isntead of conslidating all government agency's headqauretrs to San Francsico, we did it in Sacramento where there is a lot of infrastructure for the bureacracy already in place (buildings, mainly), are there any addiutional savings?  Moving to San Fran was a savings of 1%, and our previous discussionsa are on the earlier pages of this thread.

Thanks.

California is, I believe, roughly 1/4 of the Regional budget.  Although the California state buildings, et al, will already be in Sacramento, there will have to be additional building and land buying, etc., just not as much as in San Francisco.  Also, the cost will be slightly cheaper (eminent domain, etc.).

I'm going to say 1.25%, or roughly $2.5 billion dollar savings, if the move were made to Sacramento.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #107 on: November 03, 2005, 07:39:11 PM »
« Edited: November 03, 2005, 09:24:26 PM by John Ford »

Thanks.

California is, I believe, roughly 1/4 of the Regional budget.  Although the California state buildings, et al, will already be in Sacramento, there will have to be additional building and land buying, etc., just not as much as in San Francisco.  Also, the cost will be slightly cheaper (eminent domain, etc.).

I'm going to say 1.25%, or roughly $2.5 billion dollar savings, if the move were made to Sacramento.

$3.1 billion or so would be 1.25%.  $2.5 billion is 1%.  Budget is $256 billion.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #108 on: November 03, 2005, 10:07:35 PM »

Thanks.

$3.1 billion or so would be 1.25%.  $2.5 billion is 1%.  Budget is $256 billion.

Ok, then $3.1 billion it is.  I thought it was more around $200 billion, but I must have miscounted.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #109 on: November 04, 2005, 02:25:12 PM »

Well, it's good to see my trip to Germany went so well. Smiley
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #110 on: November 06, 2005, 09:27:58 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I would have to agree with many of the sentiments that you express in these two paragraphs:

There remain at least 3 unanswered questions from the last election:

1. Vice President-less ballots
2. The problem surrounding Tweed's activity requirement disqualification(or not)
3. Ben Meyers' vote in the Senate elections.,

True: there is need to address the problems of tactical voting within the present system and that can only be done by statute, but the problems surrounding these three issues could easily be decided in the Courts.

Unfortunately the Court can only react to what is brought to it, it cannot be proactive unlike the Senate and the Executive, and this was taken to ridiculous extremes in the last election. The Senate (amazingly on the advice of one of the forum's most prominent strict constructionists) actively assumed the power to declare the result of a controversial Presidential election as its own, one that by all indication of the text of the Constituition belongs to the Supreme Court.

I have to ask what sort of precedent this has set - is every controversial election result now going to be decided by a show of hands in the Senate?
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #111 on: November 06, 2005, 09:34:48 AM »

I would just like to make a response to Prime Minister's Sharon's accusations.  I am in no way in favor of risking Israel's security for a Palestinian state.  However, it is true that I do favor a separate Palestine that woudl include the West Bank and Gaza Strip.  This should be a long process, but Israel should start to pull out of both.  When it comes to the wall, I am still in favor of getting rid of it, but I have to come realize that this cannot get rid of it right now.  The ICJ declared the wall illegal, and though I do not believe Israel should get rid of the wall just because this ruling was made, the court does have a point.  Israel is restricting Palestinian travel.  When a Palestinian state becomes a reality, and peace is secured, I hope the wall can be torn down.
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #112 on: November 06, 2005, 12:33:37 PM »

The Senate (amazingly on the advice of one of the forum's most prominent strict constructionists) actively assumed the power to declare the result of a controversial Presidential election as its own, one that by all indication of the text of the Constituition belongs to the Supreme Court.

I have to ask what sort of precedent this has set - is every controversial election result now going to be decided by a show of hands in the Senate?

When did this happen?
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #113 on: November 06, 2005, 12:35:51 PM »

Emsworth's resolution that the Senate accept the results and declare Joe as the winner.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #114 on: November 06, 2005, 12:59:45 PM »

I would have to agree with many of the sentiments that you express in these two paragraphs:

There remain at least 3 unanswered questions from the last election:

1. Vice President-less ballots
2. The problem surrounding Tweed's activity requirement disqualification(or not)
3. Ben Meyers' vote in the Senate elections.,

True: there is need to address the problems of tactical voting within the present system and that can only be done by statute, but the problems surrounding these three issues could easily be decided in the Courts.

Unfortunately the Court can only react to what is brought to it, it cannot be proactive unlike the Senate and the Executive, and this was taken to ridiculous extremes in the last election. The Senate (amazingly on the advice of one of the forum's most prominent strict constructionists) actively assumed the power to declare the result of a controversial Presidential election as its own, one that by all indication of the text of the Constituition belongs to the Supreme Court.

I share all of your concerns.  I demand that an accurate count of the election results is produced.  I have already gone over Ilikeverin's count and proven it to contain several errors, yet the Senate has taken the liberty of deciding the Presidency by itself.
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix

« Reply #115 on: November 06, 2005, 01:04:00 PM »

The Senate never decided this election.

There was merely a resolution to lend the Senate's unofficial support to the results as declared by the SoFA, in the name of unity.

I certainly would never have voted to install a president in such a manner.  That is simply not what happened.  Read the resolution again.

It is troubling that anyone would so grossly misunderstand what occurred.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #116 on: November 06, 2005, 01:06:52 PM »

It may not have done anything officially, but it pretty much told anyone who wanted to challenge results that they wouldn't get anywhere because public opinion was against them.
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix

« Reply #117 on: November 06, 2005, 01:11:57 PM »

It may not have done anything officially, but it pretty much told anyone who wanted to challenge results that they wouldn't get anywhere because public opinion was against them.

I sincerely hope that such was not the case.  I do not believe that it would have influenced the Supreme Court in deciding such a case.  "Public opinion" should not be a criterion in our judicial system.

I cannot say that I truly agreed with all aspects of the SoFA's decision, but I signed in the name of national unity.  Emsworth and I felt it would be less important to take the oaths of office ourselves than to try to maintain this experiment in democracy we all belong to.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #118 on: November 06, 2005, 01:14:42 PM »

I sincerely hope that such was not the case.  I do not believe that it would have influenced the Supreme Court in deciding such a case.  "Public opinion" should not be a criterion in our judicial system.

I cannot say that I truly agreed with all aspects of the SoFA's decision, but I signed in the name of national unity.  Emsworth and I felt it would be less important to take the oaths of office ourselves than to try to maintain this experiment in democracy we all belong to.

Yes, but notice that we have not dealt with any cases regarding this election.  I strongly suspect this is because the Senate passed a resolution saying who THEY think the winner is, and it discouraged any challenges.  We might have disagreed, but we can't do anything unless someone brings the case before us.

Who cares what the Senate thinks of the election, it's not their job to decide desputes.  You shouldn't have done that.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #119 on: November 06, 2005, 01:15:03 PM »

You admit in your second paragraph that public opinion did influence your actions.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #120 on: November 06, 2005, 01:15:09 PM »

The Senate never decided this election.

There was merely a resolution to lend the Senate's unofficial support to the results as declared by the SoFA, in the name of unity.

I certainly would never have voted to install a president in such a manner.  That is simply not what happened.  Read the resolution again.

It is troubling that anyone would so grossly misunderstand what occurred.

Certainly, in the interests of unity the Resolution was a good thing, however, all that is good is not necessarily legal, and that is where the Resolution fell down.

The resolution states:

Given that we had two potential certifications floating around, each certifying different winners, it seems that the Senate has decided for us that one certification was definitely valid, and the other was not.

Of course, the Senate lending support to one candidate over the other potential winner also places the Court into an impossible position had it actually had to review the election result - If we had found Emsworth to be the actual winner under the Law, we would have visited upon ourselves the public wrath for going against a Senate resolution embodying the "will of the people".

Don't for a second pretend that you didn't effectively decide the election, because thats exactly what you did. You decided which certification counted and robbed the Court of any legitimacy it had to make the decision had it fallen to it.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #121 on: November 06, 2005, 01:16:42 PM »

Given that we had two potential certifications floating around, each certifying different winners, it seems that the Senate has decided for us that one certification was definitely valid, and the other was not.

Of course, the Senate lending support to one candidate over the other potential winner also places the Court into an impossible position had it actually had to review the election result - If we had found Emsworth to be the actual winner under the Law, we would have visited upon ourselves the public wrath for going against a Senate resolution embodying the "will of the people".

Don't for a second pretend that you didn't effectively decide the election, because thats exactly what you did. You decided which certification counted and robbed the Court of any legitimacy it had to make the decision had it fallen to it.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #122 on: November 06, 2005, 01:20:06 PM »

The resolution merely acknowledged the fact that Joe Republic had been certified as the winner of the election. The Secretary of Forum Affairs had already declared him President-Elect; the Senate usurped no power, abused no authority.

There was no other certification. The first declaration of the result, as was obviousl and apparent, was not a certification at all.

Were the resolution urged by Joe Republic or Defarge, then I can see the cause for complaint. But as it so happens, it was not.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #123 on: November 06, 2005, 01:20:56 PM »

There was no other certification. The first declaration of the result, as was obviousl and apparent, was not a certification at all.

Thats not what you were saying at the time.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #124 on: November 06, 2005, 01:22:32 PM »

The SoFA's election count was not legitiment.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies