Santorum statement regarding Katrina Victims
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:29:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Santorum statement regarding Katrina Victims
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Santorum statement regarding Katrina Victims  (Read 1669 times)
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 08, 2005, 01:52:50 AM »
« edited: September 08, 2005, 03:21:36 AM by Flyers2006 »

SANTORUM HURRICANE STATEMENT DEMANDS EXPLANATION

I am sure you have been riveted by the devastation and human suffering on the Gulf Coast. When asked about the Hurricane Katrina disaster this weekend on Pittsburgh's ABC affiliate WTAE-TV, Rick Santorum said, "...you have people who don't heed those warnings and then put people at risk as a result of not heeding those warnings. There may be a need to look at tougher penalties on those who decide to ride it out and understand that there are consequences to not leaving."

FOLLOW THE LINK TO WATCH THE VIDEO:
http://media.vmsnews.com /MonitoringReports/090605/549440/H000361 890/

Brilliant Rick.  Oh and by the way, I'll be whipping out his little friends because he surely deserves it after this.

TA DA:

riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 03:24:47 AM »

I'm sorry...

What is wrong with that statement?
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 03:26:33 AM »

I'm sorry...

What is wrong with that statement?

Fining people who couldn't get out even if they wanted to.  Are you freaking sick in the head?  This asshole is an embarassment of a US Senator that is representing my state.  He deserves to be stoned!
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2005, 03:35:14 AM »

The thing is Santorum has basically said, that people who remain in the path of an on coming hurricane when advised or even ordered to leave should be punished… this ignores the fact that most of those left in New Orleans and outlying areas, where too poor to move or thanks to the in competency of Nagin had no way of getting out…

IMHO it’s a damn insensitive and stupid thing to say, and to be fair Santorum is having a great deal of trouble at the moment not putting his foot in it, he’s not responded well to the airing of some of the kookier quotes from is latest book, he’s failed totally to challenge the impression of him as a “rubber stamp” and “yes man” for the administration despite his best attempts and now he has a gaffe over the Hurricane… its not the quote in of its self that’s the problem its rather the fact that he seems to not be able to put a foot right at the moment and it’ll cost him if he continues.         
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2005, 03:56:36 AM »

Ah.

I'm assuming he means the people who refuse to leave now.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2005, 04:06:51 AM »

Ah.

I'm assuming he means the people who refuse to leave now.

Sorry to lash out at you!  Then it would make sense.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2005, 07:25:03 AM »

I don't see anything wrong with fining people who refused to leave, as long as it could be proven that they had the ability to leave and chose not to.  Of course, the Mayor and Governor should be fined as well for not enforcing the mandatory evacuation order and busing those that could not leave the city either.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2005, 11:20:43 AM »

I love how that is relevant to the discussion.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2005, 12:03:30 PM »

I don't see anything wrong with fining people who refused to leave, as long as it could be proven that they had the ability to leave and chose not to.  Of course, the Mayor and Governor should be fined as well for not enforcing the mandatory evacuation order and busing those that could not leave the city either.

Why the hell should people be fined for making and independent choice using free will? If those people are stupid enough to want to stay and risk their lives that's absolutely their right to do so w/out fear of penalty or prison sentence. The same can apply to helmet laws and seatbelt laws.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2005, 12:47:52 PM »

Why the hell should people be fined for making and independent choice using free will? If those people are stupid enough to want to stay and risk their lives that's absolutely their right to do so w/out fear of penalty or prison sentence. The same can apply to helmet laws and seatbelt laws.

Considering the costs and risks involved with going out and trying to save them now, when they could have left when ordered to originally, I don't see anything wrong with trying to recoup some of the expenses.  Otherwise, we could easily say "Hey, you chose to stay, now you get to suffer from living in toxic water.  It was your free will.  Have a nice day death." 
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2005, 01:03:31 PM »

Considering the costs and risks involved with going out and trying to save them now, when they could have left when ordered to originally, I don't see anything wrong with trying to recoup some of the expenses.  Otherwise, we could easily say "Hey, you chose to stay, now you get to suffer from living in toxic water.  It was your free will.  Have a nice day death." 

I agree with the last part most certainly. I dont see why others should put their lives on the line for those who don't want the help.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2005, 01:08:54 PM »

I agree with the last part most certainly. I dont see why others should put their lives on the line for those who don't want the help.

Fortunately for them, we're nice, caring people.  Smiley
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2005, 01:16:15 PM »

The penalty for anyone who refuses to leave shall be death. No not government sanctioned execution, but anyone who refuses to leave won't live long under those conditions. It will end up being more bodies to clean up.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2005, 01:19:56 PM »

The penalty for anyone who refuses to leave shall be death. No not government sanctioned execution, but anyone who refuses to leave won't live long under those conditions. It will end up being more bodies to clean up.

Which will lead to a decrease in unemployed (less people stranded) and more jobs in the grave digging industry.  Talk about an economic win-win!  *sarcasm*
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2005, 01:25:21 PM »

I'm both nice and caring but if a persons lack of common sense or hard headedness gives them the idea that they want to stay then so be it as it's not the governments right to force people out of their homes.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2005, 01:27:10 PM »

I'm both nice and caring but if a persons lack of common sense or hard headedness gives them the idea that they want to stay then so be it as it's not the governments right to force people out of their homes.

How would you think the domestic and foreign community view us if we told those that chose to stay behind "tough luck?"
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2005, 01:38:50 PM »

I like the way Charleston, SC does it.  They go to your house and ask you to evacuate.  If you say no, they ask for your next of kin.  If you ask why, they say, "So we can notify them when you get killed with this."

Informed consent.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2005, 01:43:49 PM »

How would you think the domestic and foreign community view us if we told those that chose to stay behind "tough luck?"

Domestically I think a great many people would agree with such a stance. As for the rest of the world? Well their opinion is pretty much irrelevant to domestic affairs.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2005, 01:56:54 PM »

I like the way Charleston, SC does it.  They go to your house and ask you to evacuate.  If you say no, they ask for your next of kin.  If you ask why, they say, "So we can notify them when you get killed with this."

Informed consent.

hahaha . . . that's good!
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2005, 02:40:33 PM »

Informed consent.

Yes, except neither the people in Charleston, nor I, am joking.  Keep in mind, I've one the people who couldn't get out. 
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2005, 02:50:36 PM »
« Edited: September 08, 2005, 02:53:39 PM by MODU »

Informed consent.

Yes, except neither the people in Charleston, nor I, am joking.  Keep in mind, I've one the people who couldn't get out. 

Oh, I was sure you weren't joking.  Just love the thought of that.  It makes perfect sense.

When I lived in Guam, there wasn't anywhere to evacuate too.  If your crew was on the ship, you were "lucky" enough to sail out a few days in advance away from the Typhoon.  However, if you were ashore at the time, you had to take shelter in your own home and ride out the storm.  Fortunately, the homes were made of concrete and could handle the brunt of the storm as well as the debris.  The only thing we had to do was put up out 1-inch thick plywood over the 8-foot tall windows and stock up with spam and vienna winnies.  Ahhh, the good ol' days.  Smiley  Fresh water and Tang could last you a week.  hahaha
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies