US Plans to Give $2000 Debit Cards to Some "Evacuees" (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:50:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  US Plans to Give $2000 Debit Cards to Some "Evacuees" (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: US Plans to Give $2000 Debit Cards to Some "Evacuees"  (Read 1321 times)
Storebought
YaBB God
« on: September 08, 2005, 02:52:12 PM »
« edited: September 08, 2005, 03:00:34 PM by Storebought »

From the Gwinnett Daily Post

As hundreds of Hurricane Katrina evacuees received Red Cross debit cards in Lawrenceville on Wednesday, the federal government said it planned to hand out its own debit cards worth $2,000 each to families displaced by the storm.

I really, really don't like this idea, but Gov Frank Murkowski is on the right track:

“That’s a lot of money. The question is how do you separate the needy from those who just want a $2,000 handout,” he said.

If I were a legislator, from Louisiana no less, I'd veto this Great Society nonsense.

*I also read another line that stinks as well:

FEMA will use aerial photographs of devastated areas to verify that the refugees were, indeed, forced from their homes in cases where they cannot provide documents to prove their losses or identities.

Knowing that rural areas are far less photographed than cities, so that the extent of the devastation of the country areas are less obvious, this whole thing seems like a bribe to keep New Orleanians from suing the Federal Government.

Man, do I hate this idea.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2005, 12:46:42 PM »

The Bloomberg News Agency reports that now illegal migrants in LA, AL, and MS will get US disaster aid as well.

This is putrid.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies