Is Capitalism Just?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:06:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Is Capitalism Just?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Is Capitalism Just?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 44

Author Topic: Is Capitalism Just?  (Read 3822 times)
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2005, 09:19:39 AM »

That's too broad a question, really. What kind of capitalism are we speaking of? Keynesian capitalism? Anarcho-capitalism? In any case, it's impossible to say whether the concept of Capitalism itself is just or unjust; there are side-effects which result in social inequality, but that is not necessarily the fault of the ideology itself but rather the way it has been implemented.
Giant Saguaro
TheGiantSaguaro

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 3.83

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2005, 09:40:03 AM »

All sorts of interesting answers here - seems to me we're talking about capitalism as we know it and have it in this country now. A system not devoid of regulation, but generally not over-regulated as it once was either. That seems a good balance: fewer interventions and regulation than more, but some element nonetheless.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2005, 11:11:43 AM »

Oxymoron.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2005, 11:47:16 AM »

No, which is why America doesn't have true capitalism anymore.  We have moderated our capitalism with a social safety net, and we now have a mixed system that leans towards the capitalist side of the equation.

This system is very just and highly productive.  I should also point out that even the poorest under pure capitalism still tend to have a better life than the average person in communist systems.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2005, 11:49:37 AM »

Thus spoke Trotsky.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2005, 02:47:55 PM »

And thus spoke the American public, and most of the rest of the world, considering our current mixed economics system.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2005, 05:59:58 PM »

I should also point out that even the poorest under pure capitalism still tend to have a better life than the average person in communist systems.

This is obviously false. 
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2005, 10:47:17 AM »

Yes it's just and once again Opebo doesn't know what he's talking about.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2005, 12:40:28 PM »

Yes, but not in it's classical liberal or neo-liberal variants. I'm more of the New Liberal/Neo-classical/Keynesian school

Dave
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2005, 01:18:39 PM »

I think Capitalism is "fair," but may not be "just."
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2005, 11:14:42 PM »

My friend is arguing that it is "just" but "unfair".
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2005, 08:53:02 AM »

My friend is arguing that it is "just" but "unfair".

It's hard to argue that something is "just," especially when you consider the number of external variables involved.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2005, 04:57:31 PM »

The difference between Capitalism and all the other oppressive systems of heirarchical social organization is high exaggerated.

A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2005, 07:50:41 PM »

Capitalism can not be 'oppressive,' because it is not coercive.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2005, 11:28:08 PM »

Of course it is.  Have you ever noticed the Police?
MarkDel

« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2005, 11:08:04 PM »

1. What exactly do the police have to do with theoretical discussions on the merits of an economic philosophy?

2. Conversely, have you ever noticed the police in Marxist countries?

Opebo, just out of curiousity, was your political move to the Left fueled by some sort of legal problem(s)?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2005, 11:51:11 PM »

1. What exactly do the police have to do with theoretical discussions on the merits of an economic philosophy?

Of course.  The police are there for the same reason in any country, to use force in order to maintain a social heirarchy in which some classes have power and material wealth, and others are controlled.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

No.  My initial revelation was that the GOP was the party of the religious and a great threat to my sexual freedoms.  My economic views haven't actually changed - I had always felt that laissez-faire capitalism only benefited the owning class.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2005, 01:12:08 AM »

Of course.  The police are there for the same reason in any country, to use force in order to maintain a social heirarchy in which some classes have power and material wealth, and others are controlled.

So, what, you're arguing that we shouldn't have a police force?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2005, 01:14:30 AM »

What would make you think that?  I was just describing the purpose of the police.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2005, 08:16:18 AM »

What would make you think that?  I was just describing the purpose of the police.

Your ignorance made me think that - it fits in with all the other crap that you come up with. You seem to have a rather negative(and ignorant) view of the police, which are a pretty important thing in any society class structure or no. The purpose of the police is to chase down criminals who break the law, no other purpose. Arguably the law could be made to preserve people's class, but in the U.S. that is not the case and you are a complete idiot for thinking it is.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2005, 08:26:29 AM »

Your ignorance made me think that - it fits in with all the other crap that you come up with. You seem to have a rather negative(and ignorant) view of the police, which are a pretty important thing in any society class structure or no. The purpose of the police is to chase down criminals who break the law, no other purpose. Arguably the law could be made to preserve people's class, but in the U.S. that is not the case and you are a complete idiot for thinking it is.

I'm sure the Weaver family agrees with you.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2005, 10:20:37 AM »

Care to give me some background? And do keep in mind I'm not saying that the police are some perfect organization that can do no wrong, but opebo's blatant idiocy must not go unchecked.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2005, 10:22:01 AM »

The police are not incompatible with capitalism, but they are not part of it either. In any event, they are there to minimize coercion (in theory).
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2005, 11:04:56 AM »

Care to give me some background? And do keep in mind I'm not saying that the police are some perfect organization that can do no wrong, but opebo's blatant idiocy must not go unchecked.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruby_Ridge
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2005, 06:03:53 PM »

No, the law is clearly designed - in fact almost its entire purpose in practice is - to maintain the current class status quo.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies