pro-choice vs. pro-life states
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:52:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  pro-choice vs. pro-life states
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: pro-choice vs. pro-life states  (Read 10581 times)
ChipGardnerNH
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 10, 2005, 10:59:06 PM »

Could someone make a map with their best guess as to which states have more people in them who are pro-life and which states have more pro-choicers.  If you have any actual polling data, that would be appreciated.  Please colour pro-life states blue and pro-choice states red.  For example, California is a pro-choice state, so it would be coloured red.  Iowa is pro-life and would be coloured blue.  Those are two obvious examples, but some of the other states are not as clear cut and I'm not familiar with the politics of all of them.  Slightly more people in the country are pro-choice, so I would imagine the pro-choice states would add up to over 270 votes, but pro-lifers may be more likely to live in small states, so I'm not sure how it would come out.  Thanks for your help.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2005, 11:21:18 PM »

welcome to the forum! Cheesy

im not too educated in each states stances, so i took some guesses, but almost 33% i left unknown.

PV would be about:

Pro-Choice:53%
Pro-Life:47%
Cashcow

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2005, 11:28:24 PM »

New Jersey unknown and Pennsylvania pro-choice? Arkansas unknown? What are you smoking? Tongue
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2005, 11:32:08 PM »

Yeah, what is with Arkansas and Kentucky being unknown? West Virginia?
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2005, 11:32:35 PM »

I may be wrong on Wisconsin, but:

ChipGardnerNH
Rookie
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2005, 11:35:55 PM »

The gentleman from Delaware is probably right about New Jersey.  It is pretty recognized as a pro-choice state.  I would imagine Arkansas is pro-life even though they've elected some liberal people like Bill Clinton.  I noticed you mentioned Pennsylvania.  Are you suggesting they are pro-life?  I would guess most of the state is, but some of the suburban areas such as Bucks County are probably more pro-choice.  As far as the rest of the map, I have heard that Alaska is more of a Libertarian state, so they may be pro-choice, but they do vote overwhelmingly Republican for President.  What do you guys think of Delaware.  My home state of New Hampshire would definitely be on the pro-choice side, and most likely Maine would too, though I'm not sure.  I would put West Virginia as pro-life.  Washington state is very secular and is probably more pro-choice.  I would think of Nevada as more of a Libertarian state.  I know the rural parts of the state vote Republican, but I think that is driven more by gun control issues than abortion.  However, what throws me off there is they have Harry Reid as a Senator who is a pro-life Democrat, and they also have the pro-life John Ensign.  
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2005, 11:41:04 PM »

New Jersey unknown and Pennsylvania pro-choice? Arkansas unknown? What are you smoking? Tongue
to repeat what i said earlier, i know (and care) very little about where states stand on abortion. (its not exactly my hot button issue)
Cashcow

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2005, 11:52:59 PM »

How many times will I have to reiterate this? Users on the Atlas Forum greatly overestimate libertarianism in the western states. Montana is obviously not pro-choice; Arizona and Colorado are major stretches.

I'm actually not sure about Michigan. It should be the same color as Minnesota, though.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2005, 12:06:33 AM »

Wisconsin is Pro Life.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2005, 12:20:08 AM »

It would look like this:
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2005, 12:37:14 AM »

How many times will I have to reiterate this? Users on the Atlas Forum greatly overestimate libertarianism in the western states. Montana is obviously not pro-choice; Arizona and Colorado are major stretches.

I'm actually not sure about Michigan. It should be the same color as Minnesota, though.

Michigan is way more socially conservative than Minnesota.  It is also probably far more economically liberal.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2005, 12:41:10 AM »

Not "far more" economically. Only slightly at most.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2005, 12:41:38 AM »

West Virginia is one of the most pro-life states we have.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2005, 01:15:52 AM »

There was some poll out awhile back (June?) that straight up asked pro-choice vs. pro-life and pro-choice overwhelmingly won, winning everything except the deep south and Utah.  However, if the poll were more specific, I would expect a much more divided electorate.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2005, 07:59:00 AM »

Yeah, I wasn't sure on that.  I mean, Milwaukee must be hugely pro-choice, but the rest of the state is probably opposite.  Are you glad I made Pennsylvania pro-life (if only slightly Wink)?
Cashcow

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2005, 09:26:19 AM »

Michigan is way more socially conservative than Minnesota.  It is also probably far more economically liberal.

If Wisconsin is pro-choice, so is Michigan.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2005, 09:46:14 AM »

If Wisconsin is pro-choice, so is Michigan.

Michigan has the solid Dem black populist and union people populist voting bloc that Wisconsin doesn't.  (Alothugh there are probably alot of unionists in WI too, but not as many as MI).  It isn't impossible that MI is pro-life and WI pro-choice.
Cashcow

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2005, 09:51:36 AM »

But I know for a fact that Michigan is a borderline state, so we can throw away that notion.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2005, 10:50:38 AM »

Well I would put places like Alaska, Montana, Colorado, Wyoming and even Nevada into the don't give a sh**t position.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2005, 12:20:09 PM »

My best guess.  The gray states are ones pretty evenly split liberal cities and conservative rural areas.  Then there's Montana which I just don't know where they'd go. 
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2005, 12:37:32 PM »

Most people are not strictly "pro-life" or "pro-choice".  Many who are pro-life would favor some abortions being allowed especially in the case of the life of mother and the majority of pro-choice people favor at least some restrictions on abortion, including a PBA ban.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2005, 12:46:26 PM »

Yeah, I wasn't sure on that.  I mean, Milwaukee must be hugely pro-choice, but the rest of the state is probably opposite.

Actually no. Milwaukee is a pretty socially conservative city. Their representative in Congress was a pro-life Democrat until he retired last election. The Kenosha/Racine area south of it is far more socially liberal. There are cities outstate that are far more socially liberal too, like Eau Claire and Oskosh.

The real source of social liberalism in Wisconsin is Madison and the surrounding area. But even with that, I would say Wisconsin leans pro-life.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2005, 03:28:56 PM »

Isn't Rhode Island a heavily pro-life state?  How come nobody mentioned that on their maps?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2005, 05:11:39 PM »

Isn't Rhode Island a heavily pro-life state?  How come nobody mentioned that on their maps?

I did.. I made RI a tossup.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2005, 05:16:33 PM »

I think it used to be, but like many states a change has occurred.  I think what's happened is that many of these states vote very Democrat or Republican, so they feel they must change their views on abortion to fit in with the party.  I think this happened with Kansas in the opposite respect.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies