Hurricane Katrina: Political Aftermath
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:38:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Hurricane Katrina: Political Aftermath
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: Hurricane Katrina: Political Aftermath  (Read 8697 times)
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: September 01, 2005, 01:28:54 PM »

You gotta feel for the president when you realize that in his administration alone he's had both the worst interior attack and possibly the worst natural disaster of American History.

He had the information to prevent one and help neutralize the other. 44% cut in spending for flood control in New Orleans.

*yawn*
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #101 on: September 01, 2005, 01:35:22 PM »

You gotta feel for the president when you realize that in his administration alone he's had both the worst interior attack and possibly the worst natural disaster of American History.

He had the information to prevent one and help neutralize the other. 44% cut in spending for flood control in New Orleans.

Well, that's moronic.  Welcome to the loony left, riceowl.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #102 on: September 01, 2005, 01:38:47 PM »

You mean a 44% cut in spending for flood disaster in NO when everyone knew it was a serious threat was moronic??

I agree with you.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #103 on: September 01, 2005, 01:38:55 PM »

No, I think you meant Scoonie.  Riceowl was merely saying how it must suck to have two of the biggest disasters in modern US history occur during his Presidency.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #104 on: September 01, 2005, 01:45:12 PM »

Hundreds more will die because of the governments lack of preparation concerning the hurriance. His ignorance towards building up and stengthening the levees also caused hundreds of deaths.

This president is the biggest failure of our times. Bush loyalists will make excuses and call me names, as it is easier than facing reality.

MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #105 on: September 01, 2005, 01:48:04 PM »

This president is the biggest failure of our times. Bush loyalists will make excuses and call me names, as it is easier than facing reality.

Depends on whose interpretation of reality we are discussing.  It is obvious that there are two distinctly separate views on this board, with a few minor ones as well. 
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #106 on: September 01, 2005, 01:49:49 PM »
« Edited: September 01, 2005, 01:55:12 PM by riceowl315 »

Guh?

Oh, and I wouldn't say two OF the biggest, MODU.  I would say THE two biggest disasters in the US in the last 140 years have happened during his presidency.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #107 on: September 01, 2005, 02:05:36 PM »

Guh?

Oh, and I wouldn't say two OF the biggest, MODU.  I would say THE two biggest disasters in the US in the last 140 years have happened during his presidency.

Sorry, I thought it from you.  It's was Loony Scoonie.  My apologies.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #108 on: September 01, 2005, 02:11:58 PM »

Don't you have an abortion clinic to bomb or a braindead woman to rescue?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #109 on: September 01, 2005, 05:07:17 PM »

Knock it off.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #110 on: September 02, 2005, 03:04:12 AM »

Guh?

Just off the top of my head: Oklahoma Dust Bowl, numerous hurricanes, floods and bushfires, oil crisis, Cuban Missile Crisis, and, oh...the world wars. Plus if you push the coundaries just a little, the Civil War, and even without that, restructuring.

Katrina is a big hurricane. 9/11 was massive. But they're not the two biggest in 14 years. 9/11 might have a case.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #111 on: September 02, 2005, 03:35:26 AM »

Guh?

Just off the top of my head: Oklahoma Dust Bowl, numerous hurricanes, floods and bushfires, oil crisis, Cuban Missile Crisis, and, oh...the world wars. Plus if you push the coundaries just a little, the Civil War, and even without that, restructuring.

Katrina is a big hurricane. 9/11 was massive. But they're not the two biggest in 14 years. 9/11 might have a case.
So when's the last time 1.5 mio people became homeless in the US?
Yep, that's right. The War on Slavery.

Oh, and sorry buddies, but yeah, funding to prevent flooding in New Orleans has been cut these last few years. And the head of US engineers corps who proposed a massive hike for it was fired in 2002 (and he was a Bush appointee himself.) Now don't get me wrong - he was fired because, in Bush's view, he was favoring too many expensive programs, not just this one. Still, it's an undisputable fact.
socaldem
skolodji

« Reply #112 on: September 02, 2005, 06:26:30 AM »

Guh?

I think that riceowl is right that these probably do count as two of the largest disasters in the last century...

however, I'm not sure why I should "feel for the President."  I mean, I certainly have sympathy for the American people who are going through these crises... but there's no reason that these crises should be particularly hard for the political leadership...

In fact, from a political standpoint, 9/11 has been a windfall for President Bush.  It would be a windfall for any President--its an opportunity to show leadership, to unite the country, to allow the President the bully bullpit to overcome partisan bickering and get real good done...  for example, look at how FDR dealt with Pearl Harbor.  FDR knew the U.S. should be backing the allies in the war against the Nazis, but it was very politically difficult to get the isolationist country involved until we were attacked--a tragedy for the victims, no doubt--but an opportunity for FDR to galvanize the country for a necessary war...

As for a hurricane disaster, it seems to me that there is no reason it should be hard for a competent leader to deal with.... but if you're someone who hates public policy and likes mucking up every facet of the government and only cares about corporate boondoggles and tax cuts, i imageine, it might be difficult to carry on with such policies in the face of such a catastrophe....
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #113 on: September 02, 2005, 06:37:34 AM »

I wouldn't be talking about the braindead if I were you.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #114 on: September 02, 2005, 08:51:52 AM »

Good.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #115 on: June 27, 2020, 12:41:30 AM »

Why do you feel the need to make this a political issue?  How are hurricanes a partisan issue?  Do you believe that things would be handled any differently if someone is a Democrat or a Republican?

No negative political aftermath for any politician, unless they had said "Stay home, you'll be ok." 

Typical Atlas wisdom here.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #116 on: June 27, 2020, 07:01:54 AM »

It created the Sunbelt states and realigned Southern states back towards the Ds that were lost in 2000 and 2004 that's why Ds won OH, MO, and VA Senate races in 2006. Whereas, Gore and Kerry both lost OH, the deciding state in 2000 and 2004 and NV
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies