Flag Burning
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:28:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Flag Burning
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Is flag burning protected under the First Amendment?
Yes (D)

Yes (R)

Yes (I/O)

No (D)

No (R)

No (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: Flag Burning  (Read 3575 times)
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2005, 08:04:43 PM »

Because I do not think legislative history matters very much in determining what a constitutional provision objectively means, I would not, on those grounds alone, limit the First Amendment to the three items mentioned. Legislative history is useful only in so far as it gives us insight into the public meaning of the words.
In general, I would tend to agree. It so happens in this case that I could not find anything other than legislative history.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
I researched the constitutions of the various states on this issue before making my earlier post, in the hope that they might shed light on the issue. Unless I missed it, the only state constitution that provided for the freedom of speech was the constitution Pennsylvania (which protected speaking, writing, and publishing). As for the others: at most, the freedom of debate in the legislature and the freedom of the press were protected (as in English law).

On the whole, the deciding factor should be the fact that under such a law, the flag can be flown "only in one direction," as Justice Scalia put it. One can honor the flag in any way one pleases, but one is not allowed to dishonor it. One is allowed to respectfully dispose of a soiled flag by burning it, but one is not allowed to show disrespect by desecration. On the whole, it is not the mere act of flag burning that is being punished--it is the expression of one's disrespect for the country. I'm sure that the First Amendment would cover the situation.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies