Blanco fails to act decisively to protect New Orleans citizens
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:11:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Blanco fails to act decisively to protect New Orleans citizens
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Blanco fails to act decisively to protect New Orleans citizens  (Read 2450 times)
RBH

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2005, 10:11:37 PM »

Every now and then I am amazed at you.   I must admit to admiring your perseverance.  One of these days you just might move that rubber tree plant.

Anyway, as to your response of "The feds."  the answer is in teh press release you linked:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Although it appears that the press release doesn't actually meaning any of the parishes in the path of the hurricane. Check it out.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2005, 10:14:43 PM »

And here is the link to her request for help, dated August 28, 2005.

http://gov.louisiana.gov/Disaster%20Relief%20Request.pdf

She could have requested it 36-48 hours earlier, but I honestly don't believe it would have changed the situation in NOLA one bit.  There was no way to get anything or anyone there.

Busted. She requested federal assistance on August 27th, 2005, and had already declared a state of emergency on August 26th, 2005.
http://www.gov.state.la.us/Press_Release_detail.asp?id=976

Busted, the PDF of the document shows it was the 28th.http://gov.louisiana.gov/Disaster%20Relief%20Request.pdf

She issued a press release before she made the initial request.  WOW!!!

Notice also, in both, these were steps being taken.  

Note the local role.

Tell me JFRAUD, why do support Nagin's actions that had the effect of killing people that were predominately poor and Black.  
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2005, 10:29:48 PM »

Htmldon, Blanco is irrelevant, the poor response is perceived by the nation as a whole as (and in fact was) Bush's fault.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2005, 10:35:36 PM »

Htmldon, Blanco is irrelevant, the poor response is perceived by the nation as a whole as (and in fact was) Bush's fault.

Put down the crack pipe and take your penicillin!
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2005, 10:43:10 PM »

Put down the crack pipe and take your penicillin!

You believe that the common perception is in Bush's favour on this one?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2005, 11:30:36 PM »

She could have requested it 36-48 hours earlier, but I honestly don't believe it would have changed the situation in NOLA one bit.  There was no way to get anything or anyone there.

Busted. She requested federal assistance on August 27th, 2005, and had already declared a state of emergency on August 26th, 2005.

Busted, the PDF of the document shows it was the 28th.http://gov.louisiana.gov/Disaster%20Relief%20Request.pdf

She issued a press release before she made the initial request.  WOW!!!

Note the local role.

Tell me JFRAUD, why do support Nagin's actions that had the effect of killing people that were predominately poor and Black. 

So she made multiple requests. If you knew how to read, you'd realize they weren't exactly the same. Now the fact is that you tried to claim that the August 28th request proves that there were no earlier requests. I found an earlier request.

The federal government had the authority to take over the evacuation process, but the locals ended up doing it with their much more limited resources. Your deperate spinning that it was all Nagin's fault is pathetic.

J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2005, 12:42:42 AM »

She issued a press release before she made the initial request.  WOW!!!

Note the local role.

So she made multiple requests. If you knew how to read, you'd realize they weren't exactly the same. Now the fact is that you tried to claim that the August 28th request proves that there were no earlier requests. I found an earlier request.

The federal government had the authority to take over the evacuation process, but the locals ended up doing it with their much more limited resources. Your deperate spinning that it was all Nagin's fault is pathetic.

I don't have to try to "claim" anything.  You have cited what the state of LA proclaims a "Press Release."  I cite the document that LA's own records list.  You note that even the press release, the following passages

They, even in their press release, don't ask for help with the evacuation (and there wouldn't have been time for the feds or the state to do much).

JFRAUD, why do you persist in defending the actions of Nagin that had the effect of killing people that were predominately poor and Black?  With the kind actions you are supporting, who needs the Klan???!!!
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2005, 12:49:23 AM »

FEMA employees said that Bush ed up. But, hey, why don't you keep mindlessly blaming Nagin in a desperate attempt to deflect the blame from Bush? Are you telling me that a poor town without much resources did a worse job than FEMA? You Republicans live in a fantasy world.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2005, 07:47:49 AM »

FEMA employees said that Bush ed up. But, hey, why don't you keep mindlessly blaming Nagin in a desperate attempt to deflect the blame from Bush? Are you telling me that a poor town without much resources did a worse job than FEMA? You Republicans live in a fantasy world.

Because you're wrong on this issue, son.  Blanco failed to ask for federal support in a timely fashion.  She failed to ensure Nagin executed the evacuation order.  She failed to ask for additonal National Guard units.  Three strikes, she's out.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2005, 07:52:33 AM »

Well, JFRAUD, I have said repeatedly that both Bush and Blanco made mistakes and could have done better.  Their mistakes did not, however, keep people who wanted to evacuate, and physically could evacuate, prior to Katrina from evacuating.  Nagin's mistakes did.  Neither Bush or Blanco had access to NOLA's mass transit system; the don't have bus fleets and they couldn't have gotten them into NOLA (the traffic was going in the other directions).  Nagin had them and did not use them.

Nagin's action had the effect of killing and injurying a population that predominately poor and Black, and you support him.  JFRAUD, why do you support actions that kill and injure people that are predominately poor and Black?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2005, 08:05:42 AM »

She failed to ensure Nagin executed the evacuation order.  She failed to ask for additonal National Guard units. 

I can blame her for Nagin being an idiot.  She didn't hire him.

Blanco should have asked for more NG troops sooner, but there was no way she, or anyone else, could have anyone into NOLA prior to the storm.  It would have bad idea anyhow.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2005, 09:23:12 AM »

She failed to ensure Nagin executed the evacuation order.  She failed to ask for additonal National Guard units. 

Blanco should have asked for more NG troops sooner, but there was no way she, or anyone else, could have anyone into NOLA prior to the storm.  It would have bad idea anyhow.

No, but she should have been smart enough to have pre-alligned support from the national guard and other governors prior to the storm hitting just in case the levee's broke . . . just as all of the world had warned about for years.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2005, 02:10:58 PM »

No, but she should have been smart enough to have pre-alligned support from the national guard and other governors prior to the storm hitting just in case the levee's broke . . . just as all of the world had warned about for years.

Agreed, and I'll cite Wisconsin Jim Doyle as one of those who saw the crisis and acted quickly.  BTW:  He's a Democrat.

The thing is, there was exceptionally little that Blanco could do in NOLA prior to Katrina.  I don't fault her for the failure to evacuate.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2005, 06:39:44 PM »

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to know that Blanco's political future is over.

I’m just waiting for you to say that none of this would have happened if Jindal had been Governor… note to you, don’t you dare try and make that argument, hell! I’ll dare you to and I’ll double dare you!

And the GOP cries foul when Democrats (most not all I might ad) ask reasonable questions about the handling of this. 

Blanco’s future is no more over than Bush’s as a result of this, it doesn’t help but it will feed in to a negative perception… the real losers are Brown and Nagin, and don’t try and defend either… but hell I know you will, one doesn’t think to have any kind of emergency plan, oks the slashing of funding for Louisiana flood defences over poltical opposition from State Democrats and Republicans including Vitter, Blanco and Landrieu, the other?… well, the other doesn’t think to have any kind of emergency plan and then has the termerity to say its anyone else’s falut but his     
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2005, 07:10:03 AM »

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to know that Blanco's political future is over.

I’m just waiting for you to say that none of this would have happened if Jindal had been Governor… note to you, don’t you dare try and make that argument, hell! I’ll dare you to and I’ll double dare you!

And the GOP cries foul when Democrats (most not all I might ad) ask reasonable questions about the handling of this. 

Sorry son, but this isn't a party issue.  I don't care if it was Ross Perot or Ronald Reagan as Governor . . . I'd still blame them.  She, as the governor of her state, was responsible for ensuring that her states response plans were in effect and she did what she needed to do to ensure the protection of her citizens.  She delayed and hesitated, ignoring all the calls of warning from the weather services and the federal level.  And while I do fault others with this issue, she deserves the most of the blame.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2005, 09:16:49 AM »
« Edited: September 12, 2005, 09:23:02 AM by J. J. »

I got to say that put less blame on Blanco than MODU does.

The state and federal were to provide troops and aid after Katrina.  They needed to preposition supplies and have NG units ready to role in.  Now, the feds did get supplies to the area, but they didn't provide transport for out of state NG units; they didn't activate the regular military quickly enough.

Blanco did not activate all her NG units and didn't ask for more troops (except for a contingent of 200 from AZ) until later.  She didn't send them into NOLA until something like three days after Katrina hit.  And the feds didn't activate their civilian air contracts to transport them until later.

Both the state and feds could have responded more quickly.  The problem is that NOLA officials didn't tell either the state or federal forces what they needed.  There position was that the state and feds should know what they need.  Even if Blanco and Bush has responded perfectly, you still would have had the horror of the Convention Center and the Superdome.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies