Louisiana has really bad Senators
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:15:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Louisiana has really bad Senators
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Louisiana has really bad Senators  (Read 1565 times)
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 11, 2005, 11:03:29 AM »

Mary Landrieu and David Vitter were on Fox News Sunday and both made fools of themselves on national TV.

Mary Landrieu said there was no blame whatsoever to be assigned to local government.  "This administration doesn't believe in mass transit" she said, when Chris Wallace asked her why evacuations were not more effective.  She claimed that the parkng lot of school buses was "underwater" making their use impossible.  Excuse me?  it wasn't underwater until after Katrina made landfall and after the levee broke.

I don't think the locals and state gov't are 100% to blame for the problems with the response, but to say they have no culpability at all is simply unserious.

David Vitter is a simpleton it seems, and there's really not much more to say about that.  A lot of one word answers.  If he was a movie, he'd be called "Dan Quayle With a Vengeance".

Anyone else see this sorry display?
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2005, 11:09:34 AM »

Oh I see it all right.  It's pathetic and insulting that these people are either really that stupid or think we're really that stupid.  I would never vote for either.

Did you catch the show?
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2005, 11:09:57 AM »

Landrieu was pretty good on This Week last Sunday, but they both were terrible this week, I agree.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2005, 01:22:55 PM »

I didn't see it. I figured that Vitter was a good guy and probably still do if he's another Dan Quayle. I might be the only person on this planet that does it but I defend Quayle pretty often. He's just misunderstood as I'm sure Vitter is. However, it depends what he said.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2005, 01:57:44 PM »

Mary Landrieu and David Vitter were on Fox News Sunday and both made fools of themselves on national TV.

Mary Landrieu said there was no blame whatsoever to be assigned to local government.  "This administration doesn't believe in mass transit" she said, when Chris Wallace asked her why evacuations were not more effective.  She claimed that the parkng lot of school buses was "underwater" making their use impossible.  Excuse me?  it wasn't underwater until after Katrina made landfall and after the levee broke.

I don't think the locals and state gov't are 100% to blame for the problems with the response, but to say they have no culpability at all is simply unserious.

David Vitter is a simpleton it seems, and there's really not much more to say about that.  A lot of one word answers.  If he was a movie, he'd be called "Dan Quayle With a Vengeance".

Er, John.

You really those in glass houses shouldn't be throwing stones.

Boxer is truly a nut case.

Notice how even the liberal Democrats Senators stay away from her?
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2005, 02:50:49 PM »

Er, John.

Oh, I know it.  She could be beat if only one of these well funded Orange County Repubs ever grew a pair and challenged her.  Boxer is an embarrasment to me and every sane Califonrian.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2005, 03:06:08 PM »
« Edited: September 11, 2005, 03:15:09 PM by Justice Ben. »

Er, John.

Oh, I know it.  She could be beat if only one of these well funded Orange County Repubs ever grew a pair and challenged her.  Boxer is an embarrasment to me and every sane Califonrian.

Note to Self: If all else fails, give in to my pro-business sympathies become a republican, move to California and run for Senate Cheesy     

I didn’t see the show, but Landrieu has by and large come out of this debacle better than anyone else. And to a certain extent, she’s simply being protective when it comes to the state government’s reaction… where Blanco was weak and indecisive, as was the Administration but Nagin was down right incompetent, but my word I’ve had this argument before.

Vitter strikes me as a fairly weak senator, he goes out of his way to appear partisan and pick fights with Democrats on the Hill especially Landrieu, which is firstly just not civil and secondly stupid for junior senator who has to work with his senior colleague regularly. But the Quayle analogy is about right… while Landrieu has had a very high profile and been working round the clock since the disaster, I’m thankful it looks like she finally got some sleep, Vitter flirted with trying to make the issue partisan early on and then seemed to fade into the background, both are limited in what they can do, as their Senators not state office holders, and both warned the administration about the risks to New Orleans before the flood but Landrieu has been a far better and productive presence since Katrina, which in view of the characters of both Vitter and Landrieu isn’t surprising. 

Something had occurred to me, do you suppose that Landrieu has a long term interest in the Louisiana Governor’s Mansion? Or do you suppose her brother Mitch the Lt.Gov is more interested in that? 
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2005, 03:52:34 PM »

Er, John.

Note to Self: If all else fails, give in to my pro-business sympathies become a republican, move to California and run for Senate Cheesy     

I didn’t see the show, but Landrieu has by and large come out of this debacle better than anyone else. And to a certain extent, she’s simply being protective when it comes to the state government’s reaction… where Blanco was weak and indecisive, as was the Administration but Nagin was down right incompetent, but my word I’ve had this argument before.

Vitter strikes me as a fairly weak senator, he goes out of his way to appear partisan and pick fights with Democrats on the Hill especially Landrieu, which is firstly just not civil and secondly stupid for junior senator who has to work with his senior colleague regularly. But the Quayle analogy is about right… while Landrieu has had a very high profile and been working round the clock since the disaster, I’m thankful it looks like she finally got some sleep, Vitter flirted with trying to make the issue partisan early on and then seemed to fade into the background, both are limited in what they can do, as their Senators not state office holders, and both warned the administration about the risks to New Orleans before the flood but Landrieu has been a far better and productive presence since Katrina, which in view of the characters of both Vitter and Landrieu isn’t surprising. 

Something had occurred to me, do you suppose that Landrieu has a long term interest in the Louisiana Governor’s Mansion? Or do you suppose her brother Mitch the Lt.Gov is more interested in that? 

Sounds to me like a pretty fair and accurate assessment.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2005, 04:09:06 PM »

Er, John.

Sounds to me like a pretty fair and accurate assessment.

We’re agreeing again, that’s twice now Smiley   

What do you think about Landrieu potentially eyeing up a gubernatorial run? Do you think its feasible, I’d imagine she be a very powerful candidate where she ever to run, but might there be an opening any time soon and does she really want it or am I just reading to much into her actions?   
RBH

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2005, 04:10:37 PM »

I would guess that Mitch Landrieu would be more interested in being Governor.

Had Mary made it to the runoff in 1995, she would have probably won the election over Foster, or made it close. Instead she finished third, and then Mike Foster beat Cleo Fields by around 30 points

It doesn't surprise me that Vitter isn't bashing his own state right now.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2005, 05:23:54 PM »

Landreiu is a very good senator, considering the horrible state that elected her.  Too far right of course, but overall decent.  Vitter is nothing but another right wing destroyer.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2005, 10:06:51 PM »

I didn't vote for Landrieu in 1996 or 2002 and I did vote for Vitter last year. As far as after the storm goes though, both Senators have been doing what they can to help rebuild. I may consider voting for Landreui in 2008, but by then I will probably forget about this and vote for a Republican or third party.

I'm pretty sure Mitch is eyeing a Gubernatorial run in the future. But Blanco can run for another term in 2007. So 2011 Mitch will run. Mary will keep the Senate seat as long as possible. Also, Blanco and both Landrieus are all Democrats so I don't think we will have them running against each other.
Cashcow

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2005, 10:13:53 PM »

I can't stand either of them right now. Ugh. Louisiana could use less political corruption and more Rudy Giulianis.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2005, 10:18:24 PM »

I'll bet that initially, Nagin will get a local bounce, but in the Governor's race, it will be "blame Nagin" time (and rightly so).
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2005, 10:49:54 PM »

Louisiana...

Half the state is under water...
The other half is under indictment..

(attributied to former congressman Billy Taunzan (sp))
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2005, 11:40:30 PM »

Tauzin. Close enough. Billy Tauzin's son ran and lost last year to Charlie Melancon. Melancon has gotten a lot of news coverage lately since his area was hit hard the storm. I wonder how Tauzin would have handled the situation.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2005, 12:51:40 AM »

Yeah, Vitter's not too bright. Just a Rhodes scholar, degrees from Harvard and Oxford. I bet Ford has his beat.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2005, 01:53:45 AM »

Yeah, Vitter's not too bright. Just a Rhodes scholar, degrees from Harvard and Oxford. I bet Ford has his beat.

He sure didn't show it.

Remember the Wizard of Oz, where the Scarecrow asks for a brain, and the Wizard gives him a degree.  Suddenly, the Scarecrow exclaims "The square of the hypotenuse of an isocolese triangle is equal to the sum of the squares of the opposite sides!"  This is his attempt to mimic the Pythagorean Theorem.  Just one problem: The Pythagorean Theorem is applicable not to Isocolese Triangles, but Right Triangles.  Degrees are nice, competence is better.

Bill Clinton was a Rhodes Scholar too, but hey, stupid is a stupid does.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2005, 02:06:43 AM »

Do you believe that someone's alma mater is the sole method of determining intelligence or something?
MissCatholic

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2005, 09:56:32 AM »

How dare you attack Mary Landrieu?

If you attack her then the whole of the senate is usless.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2005, 10:43:36 AM »
« Edited: September 12, 2005, 02:29:23 PM by J. J. »

How dare you attack Mary Landrieu?

If you attack her then the whole of the senate is usless.

If Mary Landrieu thinks that this is the way NOLA parked buses on August 27, 2005...

...then she deserves criticizm for it!
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2005, 12:34:30 PM »

You can't be dumb and a Rhodes scholar. You can have bad ideas, but you can't be dumb.

Clinton is brilliant, just wasn't a good President.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies