If Utah was an independent country .....?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:14:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  If Utah was an independent country .....?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: If Utah was an independent country, would it end up being more liberal than every Muslim country?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 25

Author Topic: If Utah was an independent country .....?  (Read 1181 times)
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 14, 2005, 12:14:26 AM »

If Utah was an independent country, would it end up being more liberal than every Muslim country?
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 12:29:30 AM »

I voted no

It would be more liberal than Saudi Arabia and Iran but more conservative than Tunisia and Turkey- type countries

It all depends on if independent Utah has a Salt Lake City moderate Mormon government or an ultra-conservative, repressive Provo Mormon government. The latter type would introduce biblical law while the former would just be mainstream conservative.

From what I know, Salt Lake City itself is to Utah what Austin is to Texas and Madison is to Wisconsin. (Not just the capital, but the most liberal place in the state)

Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 02:09:40 PM »

I voted no

It would be more liberal than Saudi Arabia and Iran but more conservative than Tunisia and Turkey- type countries

It all depends on if independent Utah has a Salt Lake City moderate Mormon government or an ultra-conservative, repressive Provo Mormon government. The latter type would introduce biblical law while the former would just be mainstream conservative.

From what I know, Salt Lake City itself is to Utah what Austin is to Texas and Madison is to Wisconsin. (Not just the capital, but the most liberal place in the state)

I haven't seen precinct returns for Salt Lake County so I can't attest to the city itself (I'm also not sure if there are lots of suburbs, or whether those are incorporated as Salt Lake City) but probably the most liberal part of the state is around Park City in the ski resorts.

There are also some areas in the southeast with heavy Mexican populations (Mexican Hat) or Native American populations, although the latter oftentimes are Mormon Native Americans that vote Republican.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2005, 08:12:33 PM »

I voted no

I haven't seen precinct returns for Salt Lake County so I can't attest to the city itself (I'm also not sure if there are lots of suburbs, or whether those are incorporated as Salt Lake City) but probably the most liberal part of the state is around Park City in the ski resorts.

There are also some areas in the southeast with heavy Mexican populations (Mexican Hat) or Native American populations, although the latter oftentimes are Mormon Native Americans that vote Republican.

You're right Alcon but Park City, despite being well known, is just a town with 10,000 people or so. Salt Lake and Provo each have over 100,000 people. Point being that Park City has no affect on the state as a whole, just like Sun Valley is small and unrepresentative of Idaho (in all but election results Smiley )

I was surprised that San Juan County, Utah in the southeast, didn't vote for Kerry like a lot of the other Native American counties. It must also have a sizable white-mormon population.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2005, 10:11:15 PM »

No, not every Muslim country to be technical.  Some countries such as Turkey, Qatar, and others are kind of liberal.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies