Central American Free Trade Agreement Bill (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 07:27:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Central American Free Trade Agreement Bill (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Central American Free Trade Agreement Bill  (Read 10455 times)
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« on: September 28, 2005, 04:16:18 PM »

I would also like to note that even if you supported NAFTA, Canada and Mexico are much more likely to buy our goods than less developed nations such as those in Central America.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2005, 05:44:35 PM »

It's very interesting to note that every Senator who supports this bill opposes repealing the Defense of Tawain Act.

Explain why it's interesting. I would like to hear why it is?
The Taiwain act is slowing down trade between China and Atlasia.  Yet when I tried to gut even one clause of the bill every other Senator voted against it (final result, 1-9).  Every Senator who claims not to be a protectionist, who claims to be pro-free trade, etc., opposed even modifying that bill.  The only one who is really being ideologically consistent here is VP Emsworth.
Oh, not at all.  My and I'm sure other's opposition to that bill had nothing to do with pro-free trade or pro-fair trade.  It had to do with the ideal that we should promote democracy and freedom.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2005, 05:48:07 PM »

but now we see the effects; the bill is slowing down trade between China and Atlasia.
I'm adressing this to the GM as well for what he reported: why is that a bad thing?
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2005, 03:35:31 PM »

Interesting article in the Economist today about manufacturing.  It brought up very good points in favor of Free Trade and why we should be unafraid of the decrease in manufacturing jobs.  While I will continue to vote in favor of debate (for the moment), my vote on the final bill is in doubt. 
Well that article is likely comming from a short-term economic point of view, not considering the national security implications and long term economic impact.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2005, 08:20:53 AM »

I urge my Senators to vote nay on this bill, considering we don't even know if the Countries in question will agree to this new bill.  This bill would only eliminate our tariffs and restrictions.  We need confirmation from the GM that the other countries will agree to the new agreement.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2005, 12:54:17 PM »

I urge my Senators to vote nay on this bill, considering we don't even know if the Countries in question will agree to this new bill.  This bill would only eliminate our tariffs and restrictions.  We need confirmation from the GM that the other countries will agree to the new agreement.
The Governor of the Southeast has made the point that lower tariffs benefit the country that is lowering them, so whether the other country lowers them or not should not matter.
It will not benefit our workers.  I doubt saving a few cents at wal-mart is worth losing a job over.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2005, 04:13:29 PM »

I urge the President to decline to sign this until we confirmation from the GM that the other countries will agree to lower their restrictions and barriers against our products.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2005, 09:44:03 PM »

What have the other countries decided, Sam?

If they decline to the agreement we have just shot ourselves in the foot.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies