Central American Free Trade Agreement Bill (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:49:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Central American Free Trade Agreement Bill (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Central American Free Trade Agreement Bill  (Read 10439 times)
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« on: September 16, 2005, 12:36:30 PM »

I'm glad both senators from the southeast expressed their total oposition to this surrender of our sovereignty.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2005, 07:41:04 AM »
« Edited: September 24, 2005, 10:42:28 AM by Governor Mordac »

I would be glad to get rid of tariff barriers. Unfortunately, other countries aren't so likely to do the same. Hence, treaties are realistically necessary.

Most benefits on lowering trade barriers are on the party lowering them.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 02:49:36 PM »
« Edited: September 27, 2005, 02:56:37 PM by Governor Mordac »

§ 11 of Section 5 of Article I of the Atlasian COnstitution forbids the Senate to extend the time extent of patents. However, Chapter 15 of the treaty requires treaty signatories to allow software patents, extend Copyright protections to 70 years after the author's death, and make it illegal to produce 'circumvention devices' for protected works.
Now if the honorable Senators are commited to your oath of honor to defend the Atlasian Constitution, surely you couldn't vote for this egregious circumvent.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 02:56:58 PM »

§ 11 of Section 1 of Article I of the Atlasian COnstitution forbids the Senate to extend the time extent of patents.
Forgive me, Mr. Governor, but Section 1 of Article I does not appear to have a clause 11. If there is indeed such a clause in the Constitution, then I do apologize to the Senate, but the treaty would of course be null and unconstitutional.

Boo-hoo, I meant section 5.
Fixed.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2005, 03:22:57 PM »

Ah, I see.

Well, copyrights already extend to seventy years after the author's death, so Chapter 15 has no effect in that case. The other two clauses do not seem to have any implication with regard to extensions of time, but please correct me if I am wrong.

Oh, dang, I just made a total ass out of myself.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2005, 03:43:48 PM »

I would just like the Senate to know that I have made an offer (several days ago) to certain other Senators that will hopefully end this farce.

Aw uh.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2005, 02:52:58 PM »

I urge the President to decline to sign this until we confirmation from the GM that the other countries will agree to lower their restrictions and barriers against our products.

Would you wait until other people stoped hitting themselves in the head with a hammer to stop hitting yourself in the head with a hammer?
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2005, 02:03:08 AM »

What have the other countries decided, Sam?

If they decline to the agreement we have just shot ourselves in the foot.

No. they have. We get cheaper goods, they get nothing.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies