Capital Punishment
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:21:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Capital Punishment
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Capital Punishment  (Read 18683 times)
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2004, 04:48:41 PM »

Biggest contradiction - Pro-Capital Punishment and Pro-Life.

It always makes me laugh.

To be fair, that can be said about the exact opposite. Anti-death penalty and pro-choice.
Duke Fan
Rookie
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2004, 04:49:17 PM »

Anybody that says being pro-life and pro-capital punishment is contradictory needs to take a look in the mirror because that also means being pro-choice and anti-capital punishment is a contradiction.

Why would I need to look in the mirror?

I am not Pro-choice. I am indifferent. I can care less about that issue because I am not a woman.

On, capital punishment - my worries are innocent people getting killed.

so, where is the contradiction?

You are indifferant about abortion? So if somebody banned ALL abortion you wouldn't care?

Most of your fellow democrats here are pro abortion and anti capital punishment. That is just as much a contradiction as being pro life and pro death penalty.

If Abortion was to be ban, I wouldn't care because it does not affect me.

I am not accountable for my "fellow democrats"

I just said look in the mirror. I didn't say that YOU would see a contradiction. Since you don't have an opinion on abortion it doesn't matter.
Brambila
Brambilla

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2004, 05:07:54 PM »

I've been flip-flopping on this issue.

I believe it serves well to show others that crime will not be tolerated, especially in the cases where police or other government workers are murdered, but at the same time should be decreased for most other reasons.

Yes, death penalty should be rare. But I believe to make it rare we need to make it more common.
ShapeShifter

« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2004, 05:10:06 PM »

To be fair, that can be said about the exact opposite. Anti-death penalty and pro-choice.

To be honest, where is the contradiction in that? It is too hot in here to think. Smiley
Brambila
Brambilla

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2004, 05:53:20 PM »

Well, the thing is, fetuses are innocent, criminals are not.
dunn

« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2004, 06:02:14 PM »

It should be abolished
ShapeShifter

« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2004, 06:05:43 PM »

Well, the thing is, fetuses are innocent, criminals are not.

I am aware, but some are pro-life because they believe a fetus is alive and all life should be protected and life is sacred. Also, for those who are pro-life and are religious, yet pro-capital punishment is kinda funny too. Smiley
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2004, 06:06:24 PM »

Willingness to kill shows the 'courage of your convictions', in otherwords shows you mean what you say.  Domestically this means killing criminals - personally, I can think of worse fates than being executed.  Internationally, this means killing the enemy.  To preserve ones life, property, and security either at home or abroad requires a willingess to shed blood.  If you aren't capable of this, your enemies will rightly see you as weak and attack.  
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2004, 06:54:20 PM »

Anybody that says being pro-life and pro-capital punishment is contradictory needs to take a look in the mirror because that also means being pro-choice and anti-capital punishment is a contradiction.

Gloria Steinem explains that...

"There is a difference between a fetus that cannot survive on its own, and an autonomous human being. I find the pro-choice, anti-death penalty positions consistent because both support the value of the individual, and both oppose the state's power over the individual--whether to make decisions about our reproductive lives, or the length of our lives."

I do think that being a "right-to-lifer" and supporting capital punishment is contradictory because a right (unlike a priviledge) can't be lost and if a fetus has a 'right' to life, it can't be taken away under any circumstances.

BTW, I am definitely pro-choice and anti-death penalty.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2004, 06:56:32 PM »

Gloria Steinem explains that...

"There is a difference between a fetus that cannot survive on its own, and an autonomous human being. I find the pro-choice, anti-death penalty positions consistent because both support the value of the individual, and both oppose the state's power over the individual--whether to make decisions about our reproductive lives, or the length of our lives."

I do think that being a "right-to-lifer" and supporting capital punishment is contradictory because a right (unlike a priviledge) can't be lost and if a fetus has a 'right' to life, it can't be taken away under any circumstances.

BTW, I am definitely pro-choice and anti-death penalty.

I would take anything that woman says with a grain of salt.  Or maybe just a whole salt shaker.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2004, 07:33:32 PM »

Ok, so if no death penalty then make their life in prison term miserable. Meager food, no outside contact, one newspaper once a month, no TV, no library, solitary, chain gangs. If you got rid of the death penalty and instituted all of the afore mentioned then I would consider it.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2004, 01:11:07 AM »

Willingness to kill shows the 'courage of your convictions', in otherwords shows you mean what you say.  Domestically this means killing criminals - personally, I can think of worse fates than being executed.  Internationally, this means killing the enemy.  To preserve ones life, property, and security either at home or abroad requires a willingess to shed blood.  If you aren't capable of this, your enemies will rightly see you as weak and attack.  

I think one latent assumption in the question is that we separate the nameless, faceless nuking a hundred thousand people, or sending in the marines with big guns and tanks, from the up-close and controlled personal killing of a man by a physician in front of witnesses.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2004, 02:51:17 AM »

I think that capital punishment should be abolished.
ShapeShifter

« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2004, 08:46:52 AM »

Death is the easy way out. Death is like giving someone a new Birthday. I don't see how Death is even a punishment. If anything Death is a gift.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2004, 02:16:32 PM »

Death is the easy way out. Death is like giving someone a new Birthday. I don't see how Death is even a punishment. If anything Death is a gift.

So I know what to get you for christmas I guess....
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2004, 02:31:24 PM »

ROFLMAO Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2004, 02:59:49 PM »

What bothers me is, despite our division over capital punishment, there seems to be a consensus that life in prison should be a parade of horribiles. Rather than recognizing the necessity of prisons as an instrument of rehabilitation, we seek to degrade them, demean their dignity, oppress them, and harm them, until, yes, they will lash out against us. I am aghast that anyone would be willing to treat other humans with such stark inhumanity, and find their existence valueless. They may have committed a crime, but society does not demonstrate its superiority to a person and establish its right to judge by similar barbarism.
ShapeShifter

« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2004, 03:30:13 PM »

ROFLMAO Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

it wasn't even that funny.
ShapeShifter

« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2004, 03:30:29 PM »

try me.
elcorazon

« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2004, 03:42:15 PM »

Very very few innocent people are actually convicted. Of course a criminal in jail is going to say, "I didn't do it." That's just human nature.

1 innocent person executed is 1 too many.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2004, 04:26:38 PM »

One person murdered by a piece of human garbage is to many!
elcorazon

« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2004, 05:02:26 PM »

True, but the reality is that nothing the state does will ever fully prevent murders.  The state does not have to participate in the murduring however, particularly when there is ANY chance the state is murduring an innocent person.  Better that 10 guilty men go free than that 1 innocent man is imprisoned.  This concept increses in significance exponentially with the death penalty in my opinion.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2004, 06:17:23 PM »

True, but the reality is that nothing the state does will ever fully prevent murders.  The state does not have to participate in the murduring however, particularly when there is ANY chance the state is murduring an innocent person.  Better that 10 guilty men go free than that 1 innocent man is imprisoned.  This concept increses in significance exponentially with the death penalty in my opinion.

If you remove someone right to live you yourself should have your right to live removed.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2004, 05:58:00 AM »

If you remove someone right to live you yourself should have your right to live removed.

We don't practize an eye for an eye for any other crimes. If you rape someone should you get raped yourself? If you steal from someone should you ourself lose your possesions? Etc...
elcorazon

« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2004, 11:52:38 AM »

1) you failed to address the question of executing an innocent person;
2) gustaf is correct;
3) I suppose you suggest executing drunk drivers who kill others in accidents - that would make sense using your logic.  Same goes for any accident's you "cause", whether through negligence, recklessness or even bad luck.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies