Bush note picture Photoshopped
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:21:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Bush note picture Photoshopped
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Bush note picture Photoshopped  (Read 1853 times)
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 15, 2005, 06:18:49 PM »

Embarrassing Bush Photo Exposes Reuters Contradiction

I would like to see the original Photo District News article on this, but their website seems to be down.

Reuters claims that the memo was unchanged in photoshop, just cleaned up and enhanced.  I would like to see the original, untouched picture.

Either way, the picture is hilarious.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 06:22:58 PM »

They say the image was overexposed, so they cleaned it up and zoomed in on the text, but that the text was not altered.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 06:33:00 PM »

Can anybody say, "Memogate, Part 2?"
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2005, 06:45:16 PM »

No, because, from the beginning, this was nothing but a laugh.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005, 07:04:56 PM »

No, because, from the beginning, this was nothing but a laugh.

It does illustrate both the depths of left's desperation and the gullibility of some of them.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2005, 07:07:09 PM »

It does illustrate both the depths of left's desperation and the gullibility of some of them.

The content of the photo is not in question.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2005, 07:12:02 PM »

J.J can't read. He thinks that the Washington Post using lying right-wing talking points about when Blanco declared an emergency (which they retracted) isn't a big deal, but whether someone may have increased the contrast in this photo is.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2005, 07:42:25 PM »

Actually, there is now some question that it has been.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2005, 07:48:32 PM »

J.J can't read. He thinks that the Washington Post using lying right-wing talking points about when Blanco declared an emergency (which they retracted) isn't a big deal, but whether someone may have increased the contrast in this photo is.

Considering I posted the link noting the retraction, a link to one of the prime on-line sources for confirming these types of things, it is less of a deal.

JFRAUD, you gullibility might be showing.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2005, 08:00:43 PM »

It's a hilarious picture, and I honestly can't really see what the big deal is even if is real.  It's not "Memogate II" because I can't really see what the picture is attempting to allege.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2005, 08:03:26 PM »

It's a hilarious picture, and I honestly can't really see what the big deal is even if is real.  It's not "Memogate II" because I can't really see what the picture is attempting to allege.

Exactly.  What is the scandal if Bush needs to go to the bathroom?  Do Democrat Presidents not pee or something?

It is noteworthy, though, if a Photoshopped picture got put ou tas genuine by a supposedly reputable wire service.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2005, 08:07:25 PM »

It is noteworthy, though, if a Photoshopped picture got put ou tas genuine by a supposedly reputable wire service.

That is my particular complaint; if one of the oldest news services in the world could do this, isn't this basically the same as "The Tiffany Network" running something inaccurate.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2005, 08:16:44 PM »

Regarding this story itself, I can't immediately see anything that says that the content of this note itself was forged, only that Photoshop was used to make the words more legible, which is not exactly "doctoring" the photo.  "To doctor" an object is defined by the The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition as "To falsify or change in such a way as to make favorable to oneself".  Simply making the picture readable does not exactly make its content more favorable to oneself.  Neither this article nor any other that I can find says that the actual content of the photo was forged.

I really can't see what the issue is over any portion of this story.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2005, 08:32:10 PM »

Regarding this story itself, I can't immediately see anything that says that the content of this note itself was forged, only that Photoshop was used to make the words more legible, which is not exactly "doctoring" the photo.  "To doctor" an object is defined by the The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition as "To falsify or change in such a way as to make favorable to oneself".  Simply making the picture readable does not exactly make its content more favorable to oneself.  Neither this article nor any other that I can find says that the actual content of the photo was forged.

How much changing was done to the photo?  Did it make it something that was obscure clearer or did it change what was there?  I am very troubled that a major news service would possibly change a photo.

I'll add that, on this thread at least, I have not used the word "doctored."  We know that image has been altered, but has it changed the the content of the photo.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2005, 08:59:14 PM »

How much changing was done to the photo?  Did it make it something that was obscure clearer or did it change what was there?  I am very troubled that a major news service would possibly change a photo.

I'll add that, on this thread at least, I have not used the word "doctored."  We know that image has been altered, but has it changed the the content of the photo.

I know of no professional photographers who do not adjust their photos before publishing them, especially with a photo that isn't entirely clear but is otherwise a very good photo, like this one.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2005, 09:14:54 PM »

I know of no professional photographers who do not adjust their photos before publishing them, especially with a photo that isn't entirely clear but is otherwise a very good photo, like this one.

How much "adjustment" was done?  The back of the head is blurry while the note is crystal clear.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2005, 09:26:59 PM »

How much "adjustment" was done?  The back of the head is blurry while the note is crystal clear.

I'm not a photographer, but that could simply be a matter of focus, quite easily.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2005, 09:35:42 PM »
« Edited: September 15, 2005, 09:37:33 PM by J. J. »

I'm not a photographer, but that could simply be a matter of focus, quite easily.

Of course by in "cleaning up" the focus on the note, did they change the text?  We know that this is not the photo that came out of the camera.  Now maybe it is an accurate depiction or maybe it isn't.  We know that it is not the same depiction that originally came out of the camera.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2005, 10:10:31 PM »

Like we discovered earlier, the text on the top of the note is different than the text the author is writing (assuming it is Bush). With that being the case, someone else wrote the question, not Bush.
RBH

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2005, 08:05:36 AM »

So Bush wrote "Is that possible?" as a reply to "I think I may have to go to the bathroom?"
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2005, 08:13:26 AM »

So Bush wrote "Is that possible?" as a reply to "I think I may have to go to the bathroom?"

That's the way it looks.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2005, 11:38:08 AM »

I don't see how this is significant, whether it's real, enhanced, or doctored.....it's a funny picture real or not, and of course he or any other human has to go to the bathroom at some point.
Just laugh that it was captured on film and stop trying to make a serious deal about it...
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2005, 12:29:40 PM »

I don't see how this is significant, whether it's real, enhanced, or doctored.....it's a funny picture real or not, and of course he or any other human has to go to the bathroom at some point.
Just laugh that it was captured on film and stop trying to make a serious deal about it...

It isn't "serious deal" if you or I make a photo and pass it as a joke.  It is a big deal if a news agency does.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2005, 12:50:14 PM »

I've seen the same shot from two different angles, which means there are at least two different photos of the note.  When they talk about 'photoshopping' in this case, they aren't deliberately altering the text of the note - they're simply making it easier to read by changing the brightness/contrast, and finetuning the focus.

There's no political motivation behind it all - it's just a funny photo that highlights the fact that the President is actually human.
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2005, 03:06:18 PM »

FWIW, Snopes considers it to be factual.

Keep in mind that as POTUS, and involved in a formal function (that is, the UN meeting) he can't just get up and walk out looking for the nearest bathroom.  There are matters of protocol to consider, making sure nobody is offended by his departure.  Then there's logistics - his secret service detail isn't going to let him go alone, and they have to make sure the bathroom is secure before he uses it.

I see no reason to doubt the veracity of the photo based soley on the inuendo of a partisan website.   It is certainly highly plausable, and Bush has the same bodily needs as everyone else; but has quite a few complicating factors getting in the way of natures call (diplomatic courtisy, securty), and reuiters has a solid reputation.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies