Johnson in 64
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:15:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Johnson in 64
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Johnson in 64  (Read 2050 times)
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 22, 2005, 11:54:27 AM »

Hi,

I had a question regarding the 1964 election.  I was told by an anonymous person that LBJ didn't recieve any racist votes in that election.  Is that true?  The person told me that Goldwater recieved all the racist votes.
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2005, 12:06:36 PM »

Hi,

I had a question regarding the 1964 election.  I was told by an anonymous person that LBJ didn't recieve any racist votes in that election.  Is that true?  The person told me that Goldwater recieved all the racist votes.

Huh

If you mean the south, Goldwater won most of the deep south, but Johnson carried Texas and some other southern states.  Anyway, this is an election results site, all that info is here Cheesy
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2005, 12:09:47 PM »
« Edited: October 22, 2005, 12:12:30 PM by KucinichforPrez »

Hi,

Huh

If you mean the south, Goldwater won most of the deep south, but Johnson carried Texas and some other southern states.  Anyway, this is an election results site, all that info is here Cheesy

I know all the info is here but someone told me that racists (all across the country) voted for Goldwater.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2005, 12:46:32 PM »

Hi,

Huh

I know all the info is here but someone told me that racists (all across the country) voted for Goldwater.

That would be false. Possibly all the white racists in Mississippi voted for Goldwater, but in order for Johnson to have landslided he would have had to have won at least 25-30% of the white racist vote nation-wide, and a majority of the non-white racist vote.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2005, 01:19:55 PM »

Did Johnson win Republicans in any states?  I mean, to win that big in Vermont, he must have done extremely well amonjg Republicans.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2005, 08:54:45 PM »

That would be false. Possibly all the white racists in Mississippi voted for Goldwater, but in order for Johnson to have landslided he would have had to have won at least 25-30% of the white racist vote nation-wide, and a majority of the non-white racist vote.

So, most of Johnson's votes were from non-racists?
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2005, 10:40:37 PM »

Probably. Most of the hard-core ones voted for Rockwell anyway Tongue.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2005, 12:17:11 AM »

Wel, let me ask this, why would a racist vote for a man who passed the Civil Rights Act of 1964?  I don't see why that is.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2005, 03:03:38 AM »

A study (Campell, 1966), notes that about 20% of Southern Democrats voted for Goldwater.  Those that voted for LBJ were saying:  "Goldwater is right on the Black man, and that is very important.  But he is so wrong on everything else I can't bring myself to vote for him."  There were no doubt "Racists for Johnson" out there.

Ive also heard of one Black preceint in PA, along the Susquehanna, that voted for Goldwater, which was the only one in the country to do so.  It also had a 102% turnout in one election.   It sounds like voter fraud.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2005, 09:04:59 AM »

How could anybody say whether a candidate got "no" racist votes, or "all" racist votes?  Voting is never that absolute.  In a free election, a certain percentage of Jews would have voted for Hitler.  Albeit a very low one, but these things always happen.

In any case, how does one separate a "racist" vote from a "non-racist" vote?  Racism is not an either-or thing, but a matter of degree.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2005, 05:42:04 PM »

Can anyone answer my question?

Did Johnson win Republicans in any states?  I mean, to win that big in Vermont, he must have done extremely well amonjg Republicans.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2005, 05:42:35 PM »

Does someone have a Vermont exit poll? Maybe Rhode Island (he got over 80% there)?
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2005, 07:41:06 PM »

Johnson most definitely won a lot of Republican votes.

He got 76% of the vote in Massachusetts, so he had to have won some Republican votes.

Many Republicans were not enthusiastic about Goldwater.  I think 1964 was the only presidential election in which my mom did not vote Republican.  She said she just skipped voting that year.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2005, 04:37:25 AM »

I think he meant, "did Johnson win the Republican vote in some states", ie get more votes from Republicans than Goldwater did?
And I don't have the answer. The primary system wasn't as developed as now, nor was polling, so I'd be mildly surprised if such data even exist.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2005, 10:11:22 AM »

I've looked for exit poll data from 1964.  All I can find on the Internet is a bunch of conspiracy theories that the Voter News Service, the precursor of which was founded in 1964, has helped to fix elections ever since 1964.

Since the organization existed, the data must exist somewhere.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies