US minimum wage map
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:34:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  US minimum wage map
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: US minimum wage map  (Read 5726 times)
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2005, 11:06:47 AM »

Emsworth is just a radical libertarian, and like all radical libertarians has trouble finding a home in the two major parties.
That is mostly true. The Democratic Party's economic policies are atrocious, as is the Republican Party's right-wing component (neoconservatives and fundamentalists). The Libertarian Party is too extreme, and, moreover, has a poor foreign policy.

Incidentally, if you think that I'm a radical, how would you label Bono? Smiley

You must be logged in to read this quote.
I would argue that boom-and-bust cycles are not a result of the free market. The business cycle is not a feature of a free market, but is rather produced by governmental involvement in the first place. In particular, I would suggest that it is the government's monetary policy which is responsible.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2005, 08:37:21 PM »

If we could get back to the map on page 1 for a second....

Why are Kansas and Ohio allowed to have lower minimum wages than $5.15?

Connecticut's minimum wage is like $7.40 or something. You should all move here..........wait not so fast, we're a tiny state!!

HTML Don doesn't sound like LBJ but I would never suspect from his quotes here that GWB is his favorite President. I agree with him nonetheless.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2005, 11:55:18 PM »

I would argue that boom-and-bust cycles are not a result of the free market. The business cycle is not a feature of a free market, but is rather produced by governmental involvement in the first place. In particular, I would suggest that it is the government's monetary policy which is responsible.

How ridiculous.  Your type has such a nonsensical faith in 'markets' Emsworth.  Why?  They are merely manifestations of human psychology.

It is always relevant that people are living in poverty.  We will never be able to win the war on poverty, but we should always fight the battle to ensure that those who work hard are able to put food on the table for their families.
With the greatest possible respect, htmldon, the fundamental purpose of government should not be to wage a war on poverty.

Why not, Emsworth?  It may serve your interests to prefer this, but it does not serve the interests of most people.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2005, 01:50:06 AM »

Interesting, although most of the higher than minimum wage law states were won by Kerry, Alaska has $7.15 an hour, and in addition is guaranteed at least $1 per hour more than the federal minimum wage. It ranks number 3, beating states like NY, MA, and CA.

Alaska has the unusual situation of having, in general, higher priced (due to transportation costs).  I'm not entirely sure that this is a "real" higher minimum wage.

How would it be fake? Also, San Francisco, Manhattan, and Boston aren't exactly the cheapest places to live in.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2005, 01:50:59 AM »
« Edited: September 19, 2005, 02:01:27 AM by "Brownie, You're Doing A Heck Of A Job" »

I have no issues with a minimum wage, provided it doesn't get out of hand. No matter what side of the fence one is on, I don't think anyone wants to see the return of the Jimmy Hoffa days. Grinding poverty is probably worse overall for the country than the fact that there is a minimum wage, so a baseline wage on which people can get by until they can work there way up does not bother me at all. Should it be 8, 9, 10 $ an hour? Heck no.

BTW, if no one has seen the Jack Nicholson/Danny DiVito/JT Walsh movie Hoffa made around 1992 - it is a fantastic movie. Blistering performances.

In Feb. 1968, it was $1.60 an hour for most people.
http://www.dol.gov/esa/minwage/chart.htm

Adjusting for CPI, that is $9.17 an hour.
http://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/data/CPIAUCSL.txt

As for the non-farm amendment parts, those were $1.60 an hour in Feb. 1971, which gives $7.86 an hour.

As for the farm amendment parts, those were $1.30 an hour in Feb. 1969, which gives $7.12 an hour.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2005, 05:45:00 AM »

They are merely manifestations of human psychology.
That is correct. An assumption that a business would behave in a rational manner (i.e., in a manner best for the owner) is all that is necessary, really, to determine why capitalism is the best economic system.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies