Ending of Aided Rebellion Bill (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:06:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Ending of Aided Rebellion Bill (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ending of Aided Rebellion Bill  (Read 5204 times)
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« on: September 17, 2005, 07:47:17 PM »

I oppose this bill. True, I don't like a lot of foreign aid to begin with, but democratization is a cause I support and frankly, I don't like commies much Tongue.

Seriously, I agree with Senator Wixted on this.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2005, 08:05:14 PM »

I oppose this bill. True, I don't like a lot of foreign aid to begin with, but democratization is a cause I support and frankly, I don't like commies much Tongue.
In which case, you are intellectually inconsistent.  You support CAFTA and say that it's no problem for us to work with countries that don't have decent worker's rights laws, but when it comes to China, you support overthrowing the government?  Could you please give us a list of which countries we should have free trade agreements with, and which countries we should try to "democratize" by giving taxpayer funding to rebellion operatives?

Hmm.... okay [this is top secret eat-before-revealing]

I'd support rebellions in non-democratic countries (I will be loose in this definition and say that all Latin American countries except Cuba, and possibly Haiti and Venezuela are democratic, as is Turkey, but for instance China, Iran, and Libya are not) except in certain cases where the rebels are almost certain to be worse or contrary to US intrests (ie Saudi Arabia, where the main anti-monarchial movements are rooted in al-Qaeda). Of course, the US should pick-and-choose, we can't fund every rebel group.

Also, I don't think the US is funding armed rebellion in China per se, but student movements and groups that are actively oppressed by the Chinese. Those movements are more akin to Tianamien Square or the Rose/Orange/Cedar revolutions then militant groups.

BTW, I also support active funding of groups to overthrow the governments of Iran and North Korea moreso then any others, as they are both odious and national security threats.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2005, 08:23:01 PM »

Senator DanielX, with the greatest possible respect, why should the Atlasian taxpayers fund the overthrow of a foreign government, when the overthrow has not been proven to be in this country's best national interests?

Quite frankly, Mr. Senator, how can it be not in our national interests to oppose the Chinese? If for no other reason then the fact that they're the primary benefactors of North Korea. Plus, they're quite frankly using our money to screw us over, by building their military. And I'm suspicious of economies where any capitalism exists by government suffrance only. Maybe this rebellion idea isn't so great, but at least we should be supporting our allies in the region with free trade and place a high punitive tariff on the Chinese, if nothing else.  
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2005, 08:31:05 PM »

Nay.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies