Harris Makeover
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:11:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Harris Makeover
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Harris Makeover  (Read 3446 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 17, 2005, 07:18:57 PM »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050917/ap_on_el_se/senate_harris

This made me laugh...

That night she was on Fox News Channel's "Hannity & Colmes" in an appearance many Republicans are privately calling an embarrassment and one that liberal bloggers have had a field day with.

She stood at an unusual angle for a television interview — her body position and smile reminiscent of a beauty pageant contestant — even as hosts Sean Hannity and Alan Colmes talked about how people have been cruel to her.

I remember watching that interview with my parents and grandparents down the shore. I couldn't stop laughing at how ridiculous she looked. It really did seem as if she was competing in the Miss America pagent.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2005, 07:33:26 PM »

Are there any stills of the interview?
zorkpolitics
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2005, 08:02:33 PM »

Well, there is also the famous Hot Bod photo:
http://aarons.cc/2005/06/07/2470/

Maybe that is the image see needs?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2005, 10:56:52 PM »

I see that plastic surgery is the number 1 issue in the Harris campaign. It's all fake, just like the rest of the Republican party.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2005, 02:20:22 AM »

I see that plastic surgery is the number 1 issue in the Harris campaign. It's all fake, just like the rest of the Republican party.

Jeanine Pirro...
Katherine Harris....

Now, who else can we nominate to complete a trifecta of plastic-surgerized nominees?
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2005, 02:40:40 AM »

Harris is hot.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2005, 06:49:07 AM »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050917/ap_on_el_se/senate_harris

This made me laugh...

That night she was on Fox News Channel's "Hannity & Colmes" in an appearance many Republicans are privately calling an embarrassment and one that liberal bloggers have had a field day with.

She stood at an unusual angle for a television interview — her body position and smile reminiscent of a beauty pageant contestant — even as hosts Sean Hannity and Alan Colmes talked about how people have been cruel to her.

I remember watching that interview with my parents and grandparents down the shore. I couldn't stop laughing at how ridiculous she looked. It really did seem as if she was competing in the Miss America pagent.

I remember seeing that interview on the web, it really was dire... its starting to look like she's unstopable for the GOP nomination though.

And she could win, its just doubtful. The conditions nationally should be helping the Dems a little next fall, but there is also the fact that unlike other southern states you can't just win by getting the conservative vote out in Florida, you also need to win amougst moderates and conservative Dems and in a match between Nelson and Harris and looking at the polling thats been done, i don't see a single Dem voting for Harris and I can see Nelson winning amougst Moderates handily... of course if tunrout is skewed or if Nelson fights a very bad campaign then Harris has a chance, but i think that Nelson is now favoured to win this not by a huge margin but by somthing like 54-46.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2005, 10:47:35 AM »

I think Harris will surprise a lot of people. I think she can win this race and if she doesn't, it will be a lot closer than everyone thinks.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2005, 10:57:37 AM »

Jeanine Pirro...
Katherine Harris....

Now, who else can we nominate to complete a trifecta of plastic-surgerized nominees?
Um......Big Beth Dole. Tongue
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2005, 11:12:17 AM »

I think Harris will surprise a lot of people. I think she can win this race and if she doesn't, it will be a lot closer than everyone thinks.

Sorry, no, she doesn't have much of a shot.  If she gets within 10% it's an achievement.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2005, 11:30:49 AM »

Sorry, no, she doesn't have much of a shot.  If she gets within 10% it's an achievement.

Why? Because she is seen as a witch? Because the 2000 election is still so important to the people of Florida?

Democrats dislike her while Republicans come to her defense. If we are going to relive 2000, you will lose again. However, this isn't going to be 2000 all over again. That's over. People have moved past that. Will it be brought up? Of course. Will it be the focus of the campaign? No.

Let's say Dems come out strong for Nelson. Let's assume something crazy - Turnout is higher in 2006 than 2004. Let's assume the GOP doesn't defend Harris as much as the Dems defend Nelson. She would still have a shot.

For you to suggest she will be blown out is silly.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2005, 11:34:15 AM »
« Edited: September 18, 2005, 11:37:23 AM by Boss Tweed »

Why? Because she is seen as a witch? Because the 2000 election is still so important to the people of Florida?

No.  Because she's losing by 24 points.

Look, she isn't the best candidate in the world, but what will decide the race is that Nelson is still pretty popular.  The only guy that could beat him is Jeb Bush.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2005, 11:42:23 AM »

Or Tommy Franks.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2005, 11:42:45 AM »

Look, she isn't the best candidate in the world, but what will decide the race is that Nelson is still pretty popular.  The only guy that could beat him is Jeb Bush.

She's losing by twenty four points...over a year away from the election.

She's isn't the most popular person but she can do it. Jeb would have the best shot at Nelson but that doesn't mean Harris can't beat him. The thought that 2000 will play so much of a role next year is ridiculous.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2005, 11:56:25 AM »

We need Foley or Weldon. Who the hell allowed such an ass to become our front runner?
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2005, 11:59:00 AM »

We need Foley or Weldon. Who the hell allowed such an ass to become our front runner?
Karl Rove.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2005, 12:02:11 PM »

On the contrary, the White House has been attempting to recruit a challenger. Rove is certainly not that stupid.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2005, 01:06:09 PM »

She's isn't the most popular person but she can do it. Jeb would have the best shot at Nelson but that doesn't mean Harris can't beat him. The thought that 2000 will play so much of a role next year is ridiculous.

You're falling into blind partisan optimism, I'm afraid.  It's hard to beat an incumbent who's at 57% with 10% undecideds at any point in a campaign.

The Florida senate poll numbers are similar to those in New York.  Maybe it's time to start pouring hope and money into the Pirro campaign?

Worry about Minnesota, Maryland, Pennsylvania, and Ohio.  Florida won't be close.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2005, 02:10:13 PM »

You're falling into blind partisan optimism, I'm afraid.  It's hard to beat an incumbent who's at 57% with 10% undecideds at any point in a campaign.

The Florida senate poll numbers are similar to those in New York.  Maybe it's time to start pouring hope and money into the Pirro campaign?

Worry about Minnesota, Maryland, Pennsylvania, and Ohio.  Florida won't be close.

Blind partisan optimism? Look at what I said. How do you expect Nelson to crush Harris? Are you expecting turnout to be higher than 2004? Are you expecting the GOP to suddenly hate Harris?

Don't even compare Harris to Pirro. Harris is running against someone who doesn't have the best approval ratings.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2005, 02:45:04 PM »

I wouldn't write Harris off. Bush won Florida by a healthy margin in 2004. It wasn't nearly as close as people had expected. Florida's exurban growth has been enormous over the past few years and these are the regions that vote most heavily Republican.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2005, 02:46:55 PM »

Blind partisan optimism? Look at what I said. How do you expect Nelson to crush Harris? Are you expecting turnout to be higher than 2004? Are you expecting the GOP to suddenly hate Harris?

Don't even compare Harris to Pirro. Harris is running against someone who doesn't have the best approval ratings.

He's pulling 57% in a head-to-head matchup!  He has to be popular to accomplish that.  I don't think it will be a 24% gap on election day 2006, more likely a 55-45% victory for Nelson.
Sarnstrom
sarnstrom54014

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2005, 02:57:21 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Nelson's current Approval Rating:

Quinnipiac University
Approve         49.00%
Disapprove    20.00%
Don't Know    31.00%

Harris's current Approval Rating:

Strategic Vision
Approve        38.00%
Disapprove   35.00%
Don't KNow   27.00%

I'd take Nelson's numbers.

Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2005, 04:34:50 PM »

On the contrary, the White House has been attempting to recruit a challenger. Rove is certainly not that stupid.
Sarcasm. I was being sarcastic, my dear friend. Tongue

Seriously, I think it was Jeb's fault, and I have a feeling he was going to run until the Shiavo incident. So, his plan backfired.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2005, 08:25:31 PM »

You chastised me for saying that Pederson will come within 10% of Kyl!! Hypocrite!!
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2005, 11:58:21 PM »

You chastised me for saying that Pederson will come within 10% of Kyl!! Hypocrite!!

Harris greatest strength is that she is being so underestimated.  She is an underdog to be sure, but, if the democrats write her off and don't put enough emphasis on holding the seat in a state that looks to be swinging the Republicans way, they may be wondering how they lost it when she takes the oath in DC.

Remember, the Dems assumed that anti-Bush rage would oust Jeb in 2002.  They put a ton of money into the race and looked forward to taking the governor's mansion back.  It did not turn out quite how they expected. 

Now, Harris is not an incumbant and has a much harder race on her hands.  It will be hard for her to win without some help from the Dems underfunding or imploding, but if they do either of those, she can steal this race.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies