john roberts?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:11:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  john roberts?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: john roberts?  (Read 1755 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 17, 2005, 08:06:04 PM »

any chance he may run for president one day.  he is fairly young.

question for the history buffs....has any sitting supreme court justice ever resigned to run for president (or any other political office).

i know former president taft served on the court after his presidency, and earl warren served after running as a vp nominee.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2005, 08:26:06 PM »

Judges make poor candidates for obvious reasons. The main is they can't have any real "accomplishments." They can't brag about how they boosted their state's economy or pushed through some health care bill, just how they voted on cases, and that will always piss off one side.

But there's also the issue that being Chief Justice is a time-consuming position that most people would not want running a campaign as well (unlike John Kerry, he wouldn't just be 1/100 and easily missed). And staying on the court would result in being accused of partisanship and being impartial. So his only option would be to resign and I don't see why anyone would resign a lifetime appointnment to the highest legal position in the land for a longshot campaign.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2005, 08:45:04 PM »

question for the history buffs....has any sitting supreme court justice ever resigned to run for president (or any other political office).

Charles Hughes (GOP candidate from 1912) was a Supreme Court Justice at one time.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2005, 10:14:56 PM »

He would be a damn good candidate if instead of working for Reagan as a lawyer, he entered politics. Now, he wouldn't be such a good candidate, simply because Justices still are held above politics in a way. At least after they're confirmed Smiley
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2005, 11:09:57 PM »

Will this be after he strikes down Roe vs. Wade?

Maybe in the contested 2008 Presidential election, he can appoint himself President.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2005, 11:10:52 PM »

No, after he makes all women into mind less servants of their husbands.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2005, 11:37:13 PM »

No, after he makes all women into mind less servants of their husbands.
Should have know that's what you Nazis Conservatives were up to!!! Tongue Wink Tongue

Will this be after he strikes down Roe vs. Wade?

Maybe in the contested 2008 Presidential election, he can appoint himself President.
He's not as conservative as you think.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2005, 12:17:36 AM »

I don't know why anyone would want to give up a lifelong job of ruling by the courts in order to serve as four, maybe eight years of president and get blamed for everything under the sun--that is if he were to get elected in the first place.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2005, 01:43:24 AM »
« Edited: September 18, 2005, 01:45:27 AM by Erc »

From Memory:

Court --> Presidency

Charles Hughes resigned from the court to run for the Presidency...(and was re-appointed later).

John Jay resigned from the court in the 1790's (to become Governor of New York--that's how worthless the position was back then)--and later received one electoral vote in 1800.

Oliver Ellsworth, while seated on the Supreme Court, received 11 Electoral votes in 1796.

Presidency --> Court

Earl Warren ran for President a couple of times and was later nominated to the court.

Taft was obviously later appointed to the court.

Roscoe Conkling ran for President in 1876 (and probably could have had it in 1880 had he betrayed Grant) and was later nominated to the court (but refused the nomination).

The Supreme Court contained far more familiar political faces back in the day (Salmon P. Chase, Roger Taney, John Marshall, John Jay)--now, it's only judges, really.

Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2005, 09:02:44 AM »

Or is he more conservative than you think? Smiley Tongue
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2005, 10:42:59 AM »

I'll add to the President ----> Court ruote:

Thomas Dewey.  Famuosly "won" the Presidency in Chicago.  Later turned down Nixon's offer to be Chief Justice due to his age.  Good call, since he died 3 years later.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2005, 11:15:21 AM »

Charles Hughes (GOP candidate from 1912) was a Supreme Court Justice at one time.

1916 Phil. Wink

Hughes was a terrible canddiate. He didn't know how to act. He did not meet with Governor Johnson (which would have assured California, and thus the race). He nearly tied himself to the pro-War Teddy Roosevelt, and he ran as the "I'm not Woodrow Wilson" Candidate.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2005, 11:40:40 AM »

1916 Phil. Wink

Hughes was a terrible canddiate. He didn't know how to act. He did not meet with Governor Johnson (which would have assured California, and thus the race). He nearly tied himself to the pro-War Teddy Roosevelt, and he ran as the "I'm not Woodrow Wilson" Candidate.

How could I make that mistake? Seriously. That's an embarrassment. I know the elections and the candidates like the back of my hand! I remember once when a friend was quizzing me on who ran in certain elections. He asked me about 1948 and I said "There was no election in '48. It was in '46." Embarrassing.

Anyway, I don't know how strong Hughes was but he couldn't have been that bad. He made that one close election.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2005, 01:05:11 AM »

I'll add to the President ----> Court ruote:

Thomas Dewey.  Famuosly "won" the Presidency in Chicago.  Later turned down Nixon's offer to be Chief Justice due to his age.  Good call, since he died 3 years later.

Yep, yep.   Forgot about that one.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2005, 04:30:41 PM »

I doubt he'd run in the future but I could be wrong. I don't think he'd be a bad candidate though.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2005, 05:54:47 PM »

John Roberts would make a good President.

However, his services and expertise are more needed on the Supreme Court.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2005, 05:58:30 PM »

CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.58, S: -3.30

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2005, 08:35:21 PM »

Agree with you 100%. Plus I highly doubt he has any motivation for elected office.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2005, 10:42:04 PM »

Agree with you 100%. Plus I highly doubt he has any motivation for elected office.

Absolutely true!  I think your analysis of Roberts is right on.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2005, 08:17:27 AM »

Who'd want to run for president when they're on a nice little cushy number at the Supreme Court?

Dave
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2005, 07:23:26 PM »

His services and expertise are more needed as Iraqi Information Minister.

AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2005, 07:31:21 PM »

His services and expertise are more needed as Iraqi Information Minister.

Your humor is surpassed only by your ignorance.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2005, 09:38:29 PM »

1916 Phil. Wink

How could I make that mistake? Seriously. That's an embarrassment. I know the elections and the candidates like the back of my hand! I remember once when a friend was quizzing me on who ran in certain elections. He asked me about 1948 and I said "There was no election in '48. It was in '46." Embarrassing.

Anyway, I don't know how strong Hughes was but he couldn't have been that bad. He made that one close election.

The factor that hurt Hughes the most was World War One. The United States had not yet entered the war, and Wilson ran on the famous "he kept us out of the war" slogan.  Democrats took out full page ads in major newspapers around the country (there was not yet any radio) declaring "If you want war, vote for Hughes. If you want peace, vote for Wilson."  Wilson barely won and the US entered the war a few months after Wilson's second inauguration.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies