Presidential Terms (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:49:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  Presidential Terms (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Would you prefer a one 6 year term per President?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 69

Author Topic: Presidential Terms  (Read 22403 times)
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« on: September 20, 2005, 01:59:05 PM »

the current system for the president is good.  The people elect him in, and in his first term he has to kowtow to the press, the people and everything else because he could loose the next election.  Upon being re-elected he has no liability to people because there's no chance of being re-elected.  That's only 4 years.  The other system would be that he could do what he wants for 6.  I'll take the current system.

However, I do feel senators and representatives should be limited somehow.  The reason why this rule wouldn't apply to them is because nomatter what they do, they have a huge incumbency rate anyways.  We need to make sure their power is limited.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 11:40:28 PM »

I would prefer there to be no term limits whatsoever.

I strongy diagree on that. The term limit is one of the things I like best in the US political system.

Perhaps you know that in Germany, we once had a 14-years-chancellor (Adenauer) and even a 16-years-chancellor (Kohl).

I know the difference between our parliamentary democracy and the presidential democracy practized in the USA, but I tell you, every government - even the best one - becomes tired and arrogant after such a long time and starts thinking that their interests are identical with those of the country.

Stay with your term limits, it worked good since the 1950s!

If the people get tired of whomever they keep electing they can simply boot him out.

Like FDR should have gotten booted out, but didn't.  Sometimes you just can't wait that long.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies