Carl Hayden in 1932?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:00:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Carl Hayden in 1932?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Carl Hayden in 1932?  (Read 980 times)
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 19, 2005, 02:30:39 PM »

If he had ran, how do you think he would have done in the election and how do you think it would have changed the events of the Depression, WWII, etc.?
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 02:52:41 PM »

If someone with a brain was president, the Great Depression would have been over by 1936. Whether Hayden fits the bill or not, I don't know.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2005, 03:24:58 PM »

If someone with a brain was president, the Great Depression would have been over by 1936. Whether Hayden fits the bill or not, I don't know.

you have to admit though, CARL HAYDEN would be a lot better to rule the country than FDR.
Schmitz in 1972
Liberty
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2005, 08:48:10 PM »

you have to admit though, CARL HAYDEN would be a lot better to rule the country than FDR.

I think at least 85% of the forum would be a lot better to rule the country than FDR. Tongue
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2005, 08:50:16 PM »

I didn't realize until only a few weeks ago that Carl Hayden was actually a real politician, and not just the name of a forum member.  Shows my knowledge of American political history. Wink
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2005, 08:53:29 PM »

I think at least 85% of the forum would be a lot better to rule the country than FDR. Tongue

Everyone on the forum is more fit to rule the country than FDR, who was a retarded fool. Even opebo doesn't believe in making it illegal to increase output, or destroying food while people are starving.

If it was the 1930s, I'd move to a country with more economic freedom (such as the Soviet Union) and wait until someone who wasn't a ****ing disaster was president.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2005, 12:03:38 AM »

I didn't realize until only a few weeks ago that Carl Hayden was actually a real politician, and not just the name of a forum member.  Shows my knowledge of American political history. Wink

I didn't learn until I looked at my Government textbook last year and saw "Longest Serving Senator-Carl Hayden" and was surprised.  But today he came up in government class so I figured I'd make a post about it.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2005, 01:47:34 AM »

Everyone on the forum is more fit to rule the country than FDR, who was a retarded fool. Even opebo doesn't believe in making it illegal to increase output, or destroying food while people are starving.

If it was the 1930s, I'd move to a country with more economic freedom (such as the Soviet Union) and wait until someone who wasn't a ****ing disaster was president.

Nice straw manning of FDR.
I'm sure you'd be enjoying your freedom in the gulags.
Yeah, that over 60% increase in jobs under FDR really destroyed the economy.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2005, 03:35:16 AM »

yeah, opebo v. FDR, I'd be leary about.  I mean FDR never said he wanted to feed Christians to the lions, or support the works of tolerance by NAMBLA.
I would say though, I'd even choose a number of liberals over him, LiberalPA, BRTD, Texasgurl, bandit I'd rather see in office than FDR.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2005, 08:57:17 AM »

Unemployment averaged 18% during FDR's first two terms. There was a short dip from 1935-1937, when the Supreme Court struck down almost the entire New Deal.

Unemployment went down during the war, yes, but it went down almost entirely because we enlisted millions of people in the military, thus freeing up jobs at home. Surprise, surprise; unemployment dropped to a really low level. People were still poorer during the war than they had been at any other time in the depression. They thought they were prospering, yes, but only because they were piling up large amounts of un-spendable income.

The depression was deeper and more prolonged here than elsewhere in the world. FDR discouraged investors from taking the risks of funding growth and jobs. He channeled government spending away from the poorest people, made it more expensive to hire people, broke up the strongest banks, and even destroyed large amounts of food while millions went hungry.

Meanwhile, Social Security increased unemployment. Higher taxes undermined good businesses, new labor laws put people out of work, and New Deal securities laws made it harder for employers to raise capital.

FDR even had a 49-year-old immigrant dry cleaner jailed for charging too little to press a pair of pants.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2005, 02:21:37 PM »

Yeah, that over 60% increase in jobs under FDR really destroyed the economy.

I know, what a b**tard. He should have been hung from the gallows for that Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2005, 02:30:53 PM »

I already responded to that meaningless statistic. I'm sorry your attention span is so poor.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2005, 03:23:30 PM »

Everyone on the forum is more fit to rule the country than FDR, who was a retarded fool.

Even me? Smiley
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2005, 07:50:07 PM »

Would you destroy millions of crops while people were starving, and make it illegal to lower prices?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies