death penalty roll call
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:30:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  death penalty roll call
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: death penalty roll call  (Read 5828 times)
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2005, 08:40:25 PM »

make prisons safer, more livable, and more pleasant places
Only Opebo could support rewarding criminals.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2005, 08:45:56 PM »

No, Prude Kramer, that is not what I advocated.  I advocated proper stewardship of our responsibility to those citizens upon whom we presume to use force as a society.  If we presume to imprison them for practical purposes - such as our safety - we should at least refrain from the patent fallacy of calling them 'bad' persons, or suggesting they 'deserve' ill treatment.  Such is an appeal to objective morality, which is of course nothing more than a spurious claim about ones own subjective preference. 

Of course in a society in which these poor were not allowed to fall to such levels of degredation as are typical in the United States, there would be very little crime.  See for example many Western European countries.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2005, 08:48:08 PM »

No, Prude Kramer, that is not what I advocated.  I advocated proper stewardship of our responsibility to those citizens upon whom we presume to use force as a society.  If we presume to imprison them for practical purposes - such as our safety - we should at least refrain from the patent fallacy of calling them 'bad' persons, or suggesting they 'deserve' ill treatment.  Such is an appeal to objective morality, which is of course nothing more than a spurious claim about ones own subjective preference. 

Of course in a society in which these poor were not allowed to fall to such levels of degredation as are typical in the United States, there would be very little crime.  See for example many Western European countries.

I have a subjective preference against those who murder and rob people.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2005, 08:50:32 PM »

Of course you do!  As do most.  So it is only reasonable for you to all band together and jail, lynch, or otherwise apply force to those who do such activities.  It is, however, quite presumptuous and nonsensical for you to claim that murder and so forth are 'wrong'.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2005, 08:52:41 PM »

Why does the fact I think we should punish those who commit crimes make me a prude?
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2005, 08:54:36 PM »

Of course you do!  As do most.  So it is only reasonable for you to all band together and jail, lynch, or otherwise apply force to those who do such activities.  It is, however, quite presumptuous and nonsensical for you to claim that murder and so forth are 'wrong'.

right.......Your argument speaks for itself.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2005, 08:58:42 PM »

Support in cases of terrorism, treason, crimes against humanity, and first degree murder.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2005, 08:59:46 PM »

waiting for this to go in someone's signature...........................
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2005, 09:04:48 PM »

Why does the fact I think we should punish those who commit crimes make me a prude?

That's just your general nickname, prude.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2005, 11:11:30 PM »

Opposed.  Bottom line system isn't perfect.  You can set free someone who is wrongly convicted, you can't do that to someone who is dead.  All murder cases should have life without the possibility of parole
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #60 on: September 21, 2005, 11:25:03 PM »

Opposed except for terrorists and mass murders, such as the BTK killer
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #61 on: September 22, 2005, 05:02:09 AM »

im opposed to the death penalty in all cases.

Agree.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #62 on: September 22, 2005, 09:03:15 AM »

I oppose the death penalty in all circumstances
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #63 on: September 22, 2005, 09:04:06 AM »

Third sentence in my signature. Says it all really.
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix
E: 8.50, S: -0.62

« Reply #64 on: September 22, 2005, 10:45:37 AM »

I generally support the death penalty.
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #65 on: September 22, 2005, 10:49:03 AM »

I’m completely opposed to it.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #66 on: September 22, 2005, 11:15:25 AM »

Third sentence in my signature. Says it all really.

So do you oppose jail sentences, or would you like to be thrown in jail?
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #67 on: September 22, 2005, 03:54:59 PM »

Mixed and ambivalent opinion here. I DO think it is over-used, especially in places like Texas - come on, I've read about the Texas judicial system before, and that sucker is pretty damn biased against poor people (the defendant who got a public defender who slept - literally - through the entire trial but was told he received adequate counsel - !), but I'm not quite ready to say it should never be used.

Cavaet: If you replace death with life imprisonment, you know what? That means stick them in solitary until they die. Period. No parole. No getting to abuse other prisoners (which is what the worst prisoners DO, so that jail time is like a vacation for them). And definitely no freebies like cable TV or workout rooms or crap like that. No abuse, but no coddling either. S-O-L-I-T-A-R-Y, damnit! Angry I'm sure the ACLU would promptly bitch at me for that, but Roll Eyes to them...
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #68 on: September 22, 2005, 04:04:51 PM »

No, but im tempted to say yes because all the criminals in jail for life are taking our money because we have to feed, and house them
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies