The Emerging Democratic Majority (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 08:50:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate
  Book Reviews and Discussion (Moderator: Torie)
  The Emerging Democratic Majority (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Emerging Democratic Majority  (Read 11446 times)
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« on: October 03, 2005, 03:17:16 PM »

I read this book in the Summer of 2003 [on the beach Smiley]

At the time it gave me some hope that my party could recover. But even then I realized there were a few flaws in the book. One of which was that it mostly ignored social issues, and just look at what happened last year.

The book was published after 9/11 but before the '02 midterm elections. So it made a big deal about Warner and McGreevey winning the 2 off-year Governor's races, and assumed that the same rules would apply the following year.

I don't remember all the details of the book since its been 2 years but I do remember the authors talking about the "Research Triangle" in North Carolina, and how that could possibly swing the whole state if it voted strongly Dem! That is simplistic but we did win Mecklenburg County (Charlotte) in 2004 so maybe they meant that the urban South will become more Democrat, and the opposite occuring in the rural areas.

One interesting fact in this book was that most Asians used to vote Republican b/c the party was tough on communism (same with Cubans). As the threat of communism is now mostly gone, they are more open to Democrats.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies