Schooling
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 07:54:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Schooling
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: "The prime function of schooling should be to equip the future generation to find jobs."?
Strongly Disagree

Disagree

Agree

Strongly Agree

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 28

Author Topic: Schooling  (Read 2281 times)
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2005, 02:21:50 PM »

I can honestly say that, other than the math (which I was interested in), I didn't learn a damn thing in high school. So much for well-roundedness.

Really?  You write amazingly well for a guy who learned nothing in his English classes.

It would also seem that some of your civics stuck, if you have such an interest in politics and understand how some of the basics of government work.

Congratulations.  You were so well educated, you never even realized you were well educated.

hahaha . . . thinking back (and this is way back), it's hard to distinguish between what I learned in High School compared to what I learned in college or on my own.  I remember taking English, Math, Science, History, etc, but beyong concepts like Beowulf and polar-covalent bonds, it's hard to say what key items in High School carried me through college and then into the work force.  Of course, that too might be a sign of good education since it was a seemless transition.
Giant Saguaro
TheGiantSaguaro

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 3.83

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2005, 04:15:17 PM »

Yeah, I agree, but I don't think that's all education should do. Obviously, it should train people to think and work with others and so forth, but an education that doesn't prepare kids to be marketable in the job arena and in career tracts has failed, simple as that. I think education whose primary concern is something else is living in the past, as in the days when universities were filled with "gentleman scholar" types or way in the past when people became orators, clergy, and/or poets.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2005, 06:59:31 PM »

I vote strongly disagree.

I know the right-wing media here in Kentucky thinks otherwise, because they're always talking about how the primary purpose of school should be to train people to become cheap and docile labor.
Inverted Things
Avelaval

« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2005, 08:24:59 PM »

I can honestly say that, other than the math (which I was interested in), I didn't learn a damn thing in high school. So much for well-roundedness.

Really?  You write amazingly well for a guy who learned nothing in his English classes.

It would also seem that some of your civics stuck, if you have such an interest in politics and understand how some of the basics of government work.

Congratulations.  You were so well educated, you never even realized you were well educated.

Never took a civics course actually. The interest in politics stems from my dad who is rather opebo-like politically but not personally.

Thanks for telling me I write well, by the way. It was not a skill picked up in English classes, but rather appraising and physics lab did the trick. Proving more in depth mathematical theorems for the math classes didn't hurt either.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies