Teacher Strikes
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:37:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Teacher Strikes
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Teacher Strikes  (Read 3585 times)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2005, 05:29:17 PM »

One of the problems my old district had was statutory.  Teachers received 10 school days per year, cumulative.  They also had a right to take a sabbatical after seven years; it could be one year at full benefits and half pay.  The could take them for travel.

We had teachers that had, after 25 years, 150-200 sick days.  They would, about two years prior to retirement, take the yearlong sabbatical and then get "sick" exactly when their sick days equaled the amount of time they had left before retirement.

None of this was contractual, so we couldn't negotiate it.  We ended up offering cash to buy back the unused time.

You had to use a substitute to fill their space, because you couldn't technically fill their position.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2005, 05:30:52 PM »

My freshman math teacher did that last year for her last semester.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2005, 07:46:16 PM »

If I was the head of a company, I would fire anyone who went on strike. Same principle should apply here.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2005, 08:18:32 PM »

By the way, teacher's pay really isn't that bad considering they only work about 9 months a year with quite a few vacations. For those who choose to work during the summer, they can supplement their income very nicely.

Teachers pay is quite bad, it is just relatively not so bad compared to all the other truly atrociously paid workers in other jobs. 

2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2005, 09:23:21 PM »

Here in BC public school teachers have voted to strike. What a bore!

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20050924/BCTEACHERS24/TPEducation/
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2005, 11:24:00 PM »

But teachers being on strike doesn't affect children's education, durrrr
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2005, 03:32:02 PM »

Article on the situation that prompted this topic for anyone interested.

http://www.timesleader.com/mld/timesleader/12751139.htm

My favorite part is the following:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Right
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2005, 04:15:35 PM »

My favorite part is the following:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Right

That sounds a whole lot like the line given by the teachers in BC (they're planning to go on strike, too).  I don't buy either of them.
Inverted Things
Avelaval

« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2005, 08:08:02 AM »

Let them strike, I say. Teachers are in the unenviable position of having a virtually meaningless job (students tend to forget what they're taught), and trying to make it look meaningful (grading tests, administering discipline, etc.).

Basically, teachers are babysitters who have to look like they're doing more than that. Frankly, if you wanted me to just babysit a bunch of 13-14 year-olds for eight hours per day, I'd be clamouring for a raise too.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2005, 01:51:07 PM »

Let them strike, I say. Teachers are in the unenviable position of having a virtually meaningless job (students tend to forget what they're taught), and trying to make it look meaningful (grading tests, administering discipline, etc.).

Basically, teachers are babysitters who have to look like they're doing more than that. Frankly, if you wanted me to just babysit a bunch of 13-14 year-olds for eight hours per day, I'd be clamouring for a raise too.

Dirty secret of education #3:  We don't need you to remember anything beyond 9th or 10thgrade.  Once you get the basics of algebra, a smattering of geometry, some basic science, 8th grade writing skills, 8th grade reading skills, and your basic civics class, everything else is done to reinforce these skills and give the skills needed to enter either college or the workforce, depending on the student's abilities, skill and choices.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2005, 09:23:59 PM »

Actually I saw a cartoon in the Times Colonist the other day. It showed a boy chalking the words, "TEACHERS BENG ON STRIK WONT EFFECT MY EDCASHON" on a blackboard. Tongue
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2005, 09:26:28 PM »

Actually I saw a cartoon in the Times Colonist the other day. It showed a boy chalking the words, "TEACHERS BENG ON STRIK WONT EFFECT MY EDCASHON" on a blackboard. Tongue

That's funny; I don't remember that and I have a daily subscription to that newspaper.  On what day did that appear in the TC?
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2005, 12:07:57 AM »

That's funny; I don't remember that and I have a daily subscription to that newspaper.  On what day did that appear in the TC?
I think a week ago. Check a library.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies