Roy Moore 2006?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:47:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Roy Moore 2006?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Roy Moore 2006?  (Read 2909 times)
Sarnstrom
sarnstrom54014

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 25, 2005, 08:39:45 PM »

GADSDEN, Ala. -- Former Chief Justice Roy Moore will announce October 3 whether he will run for governor next year. The chairman of the We Need Moore 2006 Committee -- George Hundley -- says Moore will make an announcement at 1 p.m. that day in his hometown of Gadsden. A spokesman for Moore confirmed the plans.

Moore served as a circuit judge in Gadsden before being elected Alabama's chief justice in 2000. He had a homemade plaque of the Ten Commandments in his Gadsden courtroom. But after he became chief justice, he put a 2 1/2 ton monument of the Ten Commandments in the state judicial building.

Moore was ousted from office in 2003 for refusing to abide by a federal judge's order to remove the monument.
Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Sarnstrom
sarnstrom54014

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2005, 08:40:45 PM »

I'm thinking he's running.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2005, 08:42:48 PM »

So am I. He'll win the GOP Primary against the unpopular Governor Riley. I don't know if he'll win the General election or not though. Lt. Governor Baxey looks like a strong Democratic opponent to any Republican for Governor of Alabama.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2005, 10:27:50 PM »

So am I. He'll win the GOP Primary against the unpopular Governor Riley. I don't know if he'll win the General election or not though. Lt. Governor Baxey looks like a strong Democratic opponent to any Republican for Governor of Alabama.

It will be close, but I think Riley will pull through in a primary.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2005, 10:54:42 PM »

Riley's approval  numbers are way up and I don't know if Moore will find it worthwhile to run.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2005, 11:57:40 PM »

Riley's approval  numbers are way up and I don't know if Moore will find it worthwhile to run.

So have people forgiven him for that proposed tax hike? I was surprised at how quickly the right turned on him.

nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2005, 11:12:54 AM »

So have people forgiven him for that proposed tax hike? I was surprised at how quickly the right turned on him.

Apparently so.  I think the hurricane boosted his numbers too, but he was doing better before then as well.  I think he should be ok as long as he stays away from any more tax hikes.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2005, 12:28:25 PM »

Well I hope Moore trounces Riley in the primary but for ulterior reasons

Dave

WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2005, 02:10:54 PM »

moore is a republican?

i thought he campaigned for that racist/homophobe fromt he constitution party last yera.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2005, 02:13:15 PM »

moore is a republican?

i thought he campaigned for that racist/homophobe fromt he constitution party last yera.

Pat Leahy is in your signature and you are a Republican.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2005, 02:30:56 PM »

Primary would be a tossup. Moore is a viable general election candidate because he hasn't really been a politician... he is not on the record with regard to a wide variety of issues. That allows him to make religion/10 Commandments, etc. the centerpiece of his candidacy, while then drawing up issue positions favorable to the electorate.

Moore is kind of dour, but he has a maverick image due to his stand on the monument issue. His potential support base is somewhat odd for a Republican in that he probably would not do too great in the suburbs (by GOP standards), but he could dominate rural white areas and do surprisingly well with black evangelicals.

Next door in MS, for instance, Barbour is really an economic conservative first, social conservative second. Sanford in SC is definitely from the libertarian wing of the party. So the deep South really has not been a breeding ground for religious conservatives at the statewide level [Sens. Warner & Allen in VA, Burr in NC, DeMint and Graham in SC, Isakson in GA, Alexander in TN, the aforementioned Govs... all cut their teeth as economic conservatives first and foremost... and a few are outright moderates socially].

I want to see Moore win the primary because I like politics, and that would make for interesting politics.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2005, 02:46:02 PM »

moore is a republican?

^^^^

Exactly. I hope the bastard wins the primary, then is destroyed in the general. Then again, it is Alabama, and it is just a hope. Sad
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2005, 02:46:59 PM »

I wish Moore had run for president last year. He flirted with the idea before backing out.  Me, Al, Mike Z, Gustaf, and a few other guys thought of making a Draft Moore organization.  He certainly would have hurt Bush in the south although I seriously doubt he'd have swung the election.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2005, 02:48:56 PM »

moore is a republican?

^^^^

Exactly. I hope the bastard wins the primary, then is destroyed in the general. Then again, it is Alabama, and it is just a hope. Sad

Moore would probably win.  The best hope for a competitive race from out standpoint is Riley v. Siegelman, the rematch.  Riley won by just 3000 votes last time and has done some unpopular things (such as a proposed tax raise) since.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2005, 03:01:15 PM »

Moore would struggle to win the general election (I wouldn't completely rule it out but...) but then again so would Riley. For whatever reason the Deep South has been extremely hostile to incumbents and incumbent parties at gubernatorial level for about a decade.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2005, 04:20:26 PM »

I want to see Moore win the primary because I like politics, and that would make for interesting politics.

Me too.  I also believe he can win the general election.
Sarnstrom
sarnstrom54014

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2005, 06:27:41 AM »

Moore's announcement will come later today!!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies