race-based affirmative action roll call
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:34:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  race-based affirmative action roll call
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: race-based affirmative action roll call  (Read 4504 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2005, 12:50:58 AM »

Exactly, your arguement is horse sh!t. Play again some time

Jake, your posts on this forum are evidence of the kind of discrimination the black faces in America.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2005, 12:53:23 AM »

Jake, your posts on this forum are evidence of the kind of discrimination the black faces in America.

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2005, 12:56:39 AM »

Your denial of racial prejudice in America is certainly 'horsesh**t', Pokey.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2005, 06:53:52 AM »

my friend Jarvis (black):
PSAT 197, SAT around 1400, class rank in the top third maybe, somewhere around there, a few extracirricular, applies to all sorts of schools, accepted by all of them, including acceptance and a small scholarship to Rice, where he didn't even go to the optional interview

my friend Daniel (white):
PSAT 235, ACT 35, SAT 1600, salutatorian, a lot of extracirricular, the smartest guy I've ever met, really wants to go to Rice, applies, does the whole interview shebang, does not get accepted

How can anyone support this sh**t?

It is making up for the many generations in which blacks were utterly barred from university education.  Additionally, please remember that very few blacks can afford to go to college even in the present day, Harry.

I don't know why I'm going to bother arguing with you but their have been MANY black universities throughout the south for decades. Blacks HAVE been going to college for decades and you're just a race baiter and a liar anyhow.
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2005, 06:59:42 AM »

Don't put words in my mouth.  You say I've been favored.  I want to know how.

In the same way I have been favored, as in relative favor compared to the black.
This doesn't answer my question.  I want to know how I have been favored over blacks, and who is favoring me.

I'm not going to indulge in your little game, Ebowed.
In other words, not answer my question.

To answer it would be tiresome and pointless since your advantage are so obvious, from lack of fear when you walk around in 'nice' neighborhoods to preferrential treatment in hiring or business relations, to lack of harrassment by the police.. the list could go on and on. 

If I may interject here…  That may happen sometimes, and it’s very sad when people discriminate against blacks or other minorities, but I think the only way to help those who have been wrongly treated is to not discriminate against, or for, them.  We can’t just give them a whole lot of easy breaks because their ancestors had hard ones in the past.  Everyone has to work to earn what is rightfully theirs, they can’t just be given collage and a job on a silver platter, or else some of them might stop working for it, and there is no sense of accomplishment in something that may or may not be really earned by you.  You have to earn getting your job or your collage entry, or it won’t mean anything to you.  Don’t you understand?  You’re not giving them anything, your taking away something they may never get to experience.
Schmitz in 1972
Liberty
United States

« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2005, 03:52:05 PM »

Private universities can knock themselves out if they want to. As for state universites, they shouldn't do it but I'm doubtful as to the constitutionality of it being banned. Personally, I'm against any affirmative-action at all, be it race, gender, income, or blood-type.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2005, 04:14:14 PM »

Don't put words in my mouth.  You say I've been favored.  I want to know how.

In the same way I have been favored, as in relative favor compared to the black.
This doesn't answer my question.  I want to know how I have been favored over blacks, and who is favoring me.

I'm not going to indulge in your little game, Ebowed.
In other words, not answer my question.

To answer it would be tiresome and pointless since your advantage are so obvious, from lack of fear when you walk around in 'nice' neighborhoods to preferrential treatment in hiring or business relations, to lack of harrassment by the police.. the list could go on and on. 

If I may interject here…  That may happen sometimes, and it’s very sad when people discriminate against blacks or other minorities, but I think the only way to help those who have been wrongly treated is to not discriminate against, or for, them.  We can’t just give them a whole lot of easy breaks because their ancestors had hard ones in the past.  Everyone has to work to earn what is rightfully theirs, they can’t just be given collage and a job on a silver platter, or else some of them might stop working for it, and there is no sense of accomplishment in something that may or may not be really earned by you.  You have to earn getting your job or your collage entry, or it won’t mean anything to you.  Don’t you understand?  You’re not giving them anything, your taking away something they may never get to experience.

Work and 'individual accomplishment' have nothing to do with.  We are talking about one's position in the class heirarchy as determined by race and class.  You're falling for the old personal responsibility argument, Whizz, which of course makes no sense given how little control individuals have over their own lives.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2005, 04:35:32 PM »

Private universities can knock themselves out if they want to. As for state universites, they shouldn't do it but I'm doubtful as to the constitutionality of it being banned. Personally, I'm against any affirmative-action at all, be it race, gender, income, or blood-type.

Uh, a state banning affirmative action is not constitutional? Okay.

American blacks are obviously better off because of slavery.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2005, 04:39:16 PM »

Oh, and:

Legacies are cool and an aspect of individual rights within a private institution.

Affirmative Action is just the opposite - an interference with private rights.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2005, 04:42:27 PM »

So Opebo would rather let an idiot get into a good college just on color and not on ability because slavery was terrible in the past. -_-

Yes, instead of the normal reason people go to good colleges ('idiot' or not) - their parents are rich.

My school is one of the most respected in the nation, yet very few people here have rich parents(I haven't actually met any that have, I simply assume at least a few exist). The vast majority of people aren't rich, so the vast majority of good colleges would not be majority rich kids.

What school is that?  A public school?

Georgia Institute of Technology, and it is public, though being a university it decides who gets to come here rather than it being decided by who lives in the area. It is a very, very good school and a good deal of high-science research goes on here. Also, anybody who gets into Tech on their parent's money alone will likely fail out in two semesters. Oh, and there are a fair number of black students here, plus most other racial minorities.

I don't know why I'm going to bother arguing with you but their have been MANY black universities throughout the south for decades. Blacks HAVE been going to college for decades and you're just a race baiter and a liar anyhow.

It's actually my understanding that Morehouse(probably one of the most prominent black only universities) has been having trouble in recent years getting enough students because so many blacks are going to other universities.
Schmitz in 1972
Liberty
United States

« Reply #60 on: September 25, 2005, 04:43:23 PM »

Uh, a state banning affirmative action is not constitutional? Okay.

Sorry, I mispoke. I meant that I'm doubtful as to affirmative action being unconstitutional. States banning affirmative action clearly is constitutional. Thank you for pointing that error out.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: September 26, 2005, 12:08:05 AM »

It's actually my understanding that Morehouse(probably one of the most prominent black only universities) has been having trouble in recent years getting enough students because so many blacks are going to other universities.

I was reading an article about black universities the other day and I was suprised to see that almost every black university in the country is in the south. From the list I only saw 2-3 universities in northern states while 45 or so were in the south.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #62 on: September 26, 2005, 12:20:28 AM »

I was reading an article about black universities the other day and I was suprised to see that almost every black university in the country is in the south. From the list I only saw 2-3 universities in northern states while 45 or so were in the south.

I can think of two in the Greater Philadelphia Area, Cheney and Lincoln;  I suspect your article is wrong. 
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #63 on: September 26, 2005, 12:39:23 AM »

I can think of two in the Greater Philadelphia Area, Cheney and Lincoln;  I suspect your article is wrong. 

Well coming from a black magazine I'd hope it's not. Smiley It listed all the major black colleges in the US.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2005, 01:02:07 AM »

Well coming from a black magazine I'd hope it's not. Smiley It listed all the major black colleges in the US.

Out of curiosity, why were you reading a black magazine?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: September 26, 2005, 01:05:18 AM »

Out of curiosity, why were you reading a black magazine?

Because I wanted to Smiley
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #66 on: September 26, 2005, 07:35:02 AM »

Not suprising really, considering we have a large black population relative to most other areas in the country.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #67 on: September 27, 2005, 09:06:57 PM »

Here is the Wikipedia article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_historically_black_colleges_of_the_United_States

There are two in OH, one in MI, one in OK, one even in the Virgin Islands.  There are more than I listed, but depending on how you define "the South" there are 10-30 outside of it.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #68 on: September 27, 2005, 09:10:20 PM »

The reason that "black" colleges are primarily in the south is that southern states prohibited blacks from attending their regular state colleges, and set up separate colleges for blacks.  Northern states did not do this.  Also, blacks used to inhabit the south primarily.

Today, the historically black colleges were those that were set up to segregate blacks in the past.  Though blacks are not welcome to attend regular state colleges, some like the idea of going to school in a largely black environment, and few whites wish to attend schools that are mostly black.  So the historical black colleges remain, despite the official end of segregation.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: September 28, 2005, 12:39:34 AM »

Here is the Wikipedia article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_historically_black_colleges_of_the_United_States

There are two in OH, one in MI, one in OK, one even in the Virgin Islands.  There are more than I listed, but depending on how you define "the South" there are 10-30 outside of it.

Ok, thats cool. The article I had didn't list that many in northern states. Maybe it didn't include smaller colleges.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #70 on: September 28, 2005, 12:57:08 AM »

Ok, thats cool. The article I had didn't list that many in northern states. Maybe it didn't include smaller colleges.

That's a possibility.  One college in WV went from being Black to 80% White after the end of segregation.  The administration stayed Black, however.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #71 on: October 02, 2005, 12:52:20 PM »

I don't support quotas, but I absolutely support policies designed to compel public employers to consider qualified black applicants.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies