Yet another Tory leadership contest!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:47:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Yet another Tory leadership contest!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10
Poll
Question: Who would you like to see win?
David Cameron

Kenneth Clarke

David Davis

Liam Fox

Edward Leigh

Theresa May

Malcolm Rifkind

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 36

Author Topic: Yet another Tory leadership contest!  (Read 26853 times)
afleitch
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: October 20, 2005, 08:45:54 AM »

I would like to see whomever is in second place to Cameron to stand aside if it is a sweeping 'mandate' from the parliamentary party. If Fox is second, I don't think he will however. It could be preferrable however, as a ballot of the membership would cost the party a significant amount of money.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #126 on: October 20, 2005, 09:21:00 AM »

Prediction:
Cameron 91 (+35, mostly from Clarke, but also a handful of Davis)
Davis 54 (-8, gains a couple from Clarke, but loses more to both Fox and Cameron)
Fox 53 (+11, mostly from Davis, a few from Clarke)
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #127 on: October 20, 2005, 11:30:50 AM »

Result:
Cameron 90
Davis 57
Fox 51
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #128 on: October 20, 2005, 11:33:08 AM »

Bye bye Foxy. As I mentioned before he appears to be a family 'nemesis' of sorts, so i'm glad he's out. But...will Davis stay in the race or stand down?
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #129 on: October 20, 2005, 11:34:36 AM »

Clarke goes out. Supporters swing behind Cameron (with a significant going towards Fox)

Davis supporters fragment, about 15 switch 10 to Fox 5 to Cameron

Cameron comes first in leadership ballot, Davis second, Fox a very close third

Cameron beats Davis in membership ballot

Cameron becomes leader

Cameron becomes Prime Minister in 2010, forming a minority Conservative government.

Wins a majority in an election called two years later.

Man walks on Mars Smiley

Pat on back Wink Close enough
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #130 on: October 20, 2005, 11:37:55 AM »
« Edited: October 20, 2005, 11:42:37 AM by Lt. Governor Jas »

Bye bye Foxy. As I mentioned before he appears to be a family 'nemesis' of sorts, so i'm glad he's out. But...will Davis stay in the race or stand down?

From listening to BBC Radio Five, my understanding is that in such a scenario (Davis dropping out) the third placed candidate (i.e. Fox) would be entitled to then re-enter the race, as it were, before the membership at large.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #131 on: October 20, 2005, 11:47:08 AM »

Cameron has less than 50% support from the parliamentary party, whether Davis concedes the run-off is his decision but they would be wise to allow Cameron to seek a true mandate from the membership; otherwise, he could become a lame duck 'moderniser' in thrall to the party's right wing

Dave
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #132 on: October 20, 2005, 11:48:40 AM »

Cameron has less than 50% support from the parliamentary party, whether Davis concedes the run-off is his decision but they would be wise to allow Cameron to seek a true mandate from the membership; otherwise, he could become a lame duck 'moderniser' in thrall to the party's right wing

Dave

From just after listening to him speaking just after the result, it is clear Davis does intend to continue the contest.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #133 on: October 20, 2005, 11:58:27 AM »

Apparently several declared Cameron supporters tactically voted for Davis in order to knock Fox out.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #134 on: October 20, 2005, 12:00:16 PM »

Dave

From just after listening to him speaking just after the result, it is clear Davis does intend to continue the contest.

And nor should he. If he runs, and loses, it could be a sign that the Tory Party leopard is about to change its spots. For what it's worth though, I'm done with the Tories - the Blessed Margaret saw to that Grin

Dave
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #135 on: October 20, 2005, 12:01:11 PM »

Apparently several declared Cameron supporters tactically voted for Davis in order to knock Fox out.

Highly likely, I'd say

Dave
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #136 on: October 20, 2005, 12:19:08 PM »

Dave

Well effectively suspending the party rules for the second leadership contest in succession would be a pretty damning indictment in my opinion - lets not bother with democracy, its too expensive!!
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #137 on: October 21, 2005, 06:32:30 AM »

Dave

Well effectively suspending the party rules for the second leadership contest in succession would be a pretty damning indictment in my opinion - lets not bother with democracy, its too expensive!!
Fairly characteristic of at least parts of the Tory party.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #138 on: October 21, 2005, 06:38:04 AM »

I see you remember the rebirth of the Magic Circle last year Wink
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #139 on: October 21, 2005, 09:44:40 AM »

The Sun has a poll:

Brown (Lab) 39% Cameron (Con) 36% Kennedy (LD) 18% Others 7%

Brown (Lab) 40% Davis (Con) 33% Kennedy (LD) 19% Others 8%

Dave
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #140 on: October 21, 2005, 11:46:36 AM »

The Sun has a poll:

Brown (Lab) 40% Davis (Con) 33% Kennedy (LD) 19% Others 8%

Dave

Both Labour and the Tories gain in the first, which is interesting. Very interesting.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #141 on: October 22, 2005, 11:24:10 AM »

Good to see the 'Lib Dumbs' below 20%. I did a little canvassing back in May for the Conservatives and the Liberal Democrat team, bussed in from elsewhere as usual were the worst I've had to deal with. I least you could have a coffee and a chat with the Labour team!
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #142 on: October 22, 2005, 11:48:45 AM »

Good to see the 'Lib Dumbs' below 20%.

Right now polling numbers don't mean much (and I still think the pollsters need to adjust their methodology as far as social grade goes; they got very lucky last election as the overestimate of Labour's AB support and the underestimate of Labour's C2/D/E support more-or-less cancelled each other out. They won't be so lucky next time) but yes, I agree with you.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Grin
At least you know where you are with us Wink
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #143 on: October 22, 2005, 11:57:43 AM »

Funilly enough, I was doing my best to encourage Tory voters in East Dumbartonshire to vote Labour to keep the Lib Dems out in the last few days. Sadly it was not to be.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #144 on: October 22, 2005, 12:14:42 PM »

AWWWW! Smiley

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #145 on: October 22, 2005, 12:28:17 PM »

Clearly Cameron has a lot of appeal for the crucial drunks vote Grin
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #146 on: October 22, 2005, 12:47:37 PM »

Not as much as Ken Clarke would have had I feel!
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #147 on: October 22, 2005, 12:58:28 PM »

What was amazing IMO, was that after a few weeks of pretty tough coverage and with few people even knowing who he was other than a Tory, and perhaps what he looks like and the fact he’s “posh”… Cameron’s beating Brown amongst “swing voters” who’ve been polled by a clear margin, and remember Brown is very much a familiar “know quantity”, this is very good for Cameron – very good indeed.

The ICM poll for the Guardian had the numbers…

Cameron (Conservative) – 43%
Brown (Labour) – 38%

…on top of that the focus group work shown on News night showed that Cameron’s appeal looks set to grow still further. There is the risk that Cameron could slip up, that something from his past could damage him, but baring those possibilities voters seem to react to Cameron in a way very similar to how they reacted to a young Tony Blair and against Gordon Brown they much prefer Cameron’s affability to Brown’s more dour persona.

An interesting fact has also emerged, between Davis and Cameron, Davis who is now making a great play of his ability to appeal to urban and suburban Britain does far less well amongst those polled from the north and midlands… so despite some Labour hopes that Cameron’s background will play against him it looks like that won’t be the case.

It’s a long way out and I agree with Peter that a campaign in the country is essentially both out of principle and the fact that lengthening the debate across the party is helpful and it would further test Cameron… but its starting to look like Cameron just might be the man to build on the base that was built up under Howard and IDS (you may laugh but both did a lot of work in retooling the Party’s approach and emphasis on issues) and take the Tories back to power.

One of the most interesting parallels I’ve heard between a potential Cameron vs Brown fight is that it could be very like Kennedy vs Nixon, Brown; experienced but impersonal, Cameron inexperienced but likeable… on such things are elections largely decided, and it can only help that Cameron looks keen to ditch some of the Tories less sensible polices and embrace a king of Blairite consensus which the majority of the UK today seems to accept.

So to conclude, the kid might just have what it takes Wink          

Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #148 on: October 22, 2005, 01:08:18 PM »

If that Mori Poll was as acurate as its general election eve of poll, poll then it'd be somthing like...

Brown (Lab) 36% Cameron (Con) 36% Kennedy (LD) 17% Others 8%
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #149 on: October 22, 2005, 01:59:33 PM »

What was amazing IMO, was that after a few weeks of pretty tough coverage and with few people even knowing who he was other than a Tory, and perhaps what he looks like and the fact he’s “posh”… Cameron’s beating Brown amongst “swing voters” who’ve been polled by a clear margin, and remember Brown is very much a familiar “know quantity”, this is very good for Cameron – very good indeed.

The ICM poll for the Guardian had the numbers…

Cameron (Conservative) – 43%
Brown (Labour) – 38%

"Swing voters" being defined as voters who would consider voting Tory. Doesn't mean much; Labour are still leading in the main poll (not that means much either. See a previous post) and swing voters haven't decided an election since... 1970 I think.

Sample sizes far too small to draw any conclusions. I've had a look at the regional breakdowns of some polls done in the election; the numbers were just screwy (LibDems leading in the Midlands in more than one poll for example).

Early days yet. Cameron is still an unknown, Labour haven't had a go at his image yet and all that.

IIRC they need a swing of about 9pts (might be a bit less but you get the idea) to win an overall majority of 1.

That comparision is made of just about every new kid on the block in every country around.

I suppose you could make a case for '64 (Wilson swinging several key marginals in Liverpool) but other than that... no. Things just don't work like that here.

When he actually comes up with some policies, maybe Wink
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies