From the sh**t you can't make up pile
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:52:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  From the sh**t you can't make up pile
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: From the sh**t you can't make up pile  (Read 11526 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2005, 06:22:22 PM »

The hottest illegal imports from Hong Kong right now: Louis Futon purses, Jimmy Cheese shoes and Rolodex wristwatches.

This thread really is sh**t you can't make up.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2005, 06:22:44 PM »

J.J. --- Are you actually arguing that 940 heads and 60 tails is not statistically significant when the null hypothesis is that this is a fair coin?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2005, 07:02:05 PM »

J.J. --- Are you actually arguing that 940 heads and 60 tails is not statistically significant when the null hypothesis is that this is a fair coin?

No, what I've been arguing is that this result is not statistically significant if you are attempting to show that the coin will always come up heads.  There is no question that it well exceeds the expected value for heads.

Look at the result, can you state with 95% certainty that the coin will come up heads?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2005, 07:09:35 PM »
« Edited: October 05, 2005, 08:29:51 PM by J. J. »

Someone had mentioned a watch, and I quickly skimmed it, and didn't catch that it was a Rolodex, which I only now know isn't a watch.

The only person who mentioned a watch was you.  The word "watch" does not appear in the article.

Rolodex:

Rolex:

They are not quite the same thing.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2005, 07:37:11 PM »

If I'm not mistaken... the question is, can I say with 95% certainty that the probability of getting a heads is greater than one half?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2005, 08:16:54 PM »

If I'm not mistaken... the question is, can I say with 95% certainty that the probability of getting a heads is greater than one half?

As soon as you enter into probability, you are looking at a different measure.

You could claim that the expected value is greater than you expected, even if it was 501 heads and 499 tails.  You can all sorts of things with probabilities, but you could not claim with 95% certainty that coin will come up heads.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2005, 12:44:30 AM »

Mod, could you please sticky this thread?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2005, 12:49:39 AM »

No, what I've been arguing is that this result is not statistically significant if you are attempting to show that the coin will always come up heads.  There is no question that it well exceeds the expected value for heads.

Look at the result, can you state with 95% certainty that the coin will come up heads?

I never claimed that getting heads 94% of the time would imply that you get heads at least 95% of the time.

Someone had mentioned a watch, and I quickly skimmed it, and didn't catch that it was a Rolodex, which I only now know isn't a watch.
The only person who mentioned a watch was you.  The word "watch" does not appear in the article.
You seem incapable of reading. I never claimed that anyone had mentioned it on this forum, seeing as I started the thread.

That's almost right. What you decribed would be a 1 tail 95% confidence test or a 2-tail 90% confidence test. I was talking about a 2-tail 95% confidence test.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2005, 12:54:22 AM »

I missed reading this thread earlier.  This may be one of the funniest things ever posted on this forum.

Classic.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2005, 06:07:23 AM »

You seem incapable of reading. I never claimed that anyone had mentioned it on this forum, seeing as I started the thread.

This is hilarious!  :-)  One person did mention a watch.

One of DeLay's cronies in the House is accused of stealing a watch from another Republican.

http://coloradopols.com/archives/2005/10/holtzman_campai_1.html

The article doesn't use the word "watch," period.  The full text has been posted.

I'm beginning to wonder if JFRAUD hasn't been planted by the Republicans to make the Democrats look bad.  :-) That's actually beginning to look possible.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #60 on: October 06, 2005, 09:45:30 PM »

One of DeLay's cronies in the House is accused of stealing a watch from another Republican.

The article doesn't use the word "watch," period.  The full text has been posted.

I'm beginning to wonder if JFRAUD hasn't been planted by the Republicans to make the Democrats look bad.  :-) That's actually beginning to look possible.
[/quote]

Can you say so with 95% certainty?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: October 07, 2005, 12:25:39 AM »

[/quote]

Let me flip a coin and see. lol
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #62 on: October 07, 2005, 12:45:52 AM »

[/quote]

Whatever you say, Mr.-a-95%-correlation-can-never-be-statistically-significant. I have no tolerance for Republicans like you who are wrong, won't admit they're wrong, and then bash me. You are exactly why I am not a Republican.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #63 on: October 07, 2005, 12:55:50 AM »

Mr.-a-95%-correlation-can-never-be-statistically-significant

Talk like that will get you shot in some circles.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #64 on: October 07, 2005, 02:24:24 AM »

I wouldn't shoot him, but I would tell him where he could shove the coin.  By the way STFU J-TROL Cheesy

Does every post he makes end up with a stupid crap discussion like this?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #65 on: October 07, 2005, 09:01:23 AM »

Like meeting of real statisticians.  :-)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #66 on: October 07, 2005, 09:06:17 AM »

Whatever you say, Mr.-a-95%-correlation-can-never-be-statistically-significant. I have no tolerance for Republicans like you who are wrong, won't admit they're wrong, and then bash me. You are exactly why I am not a Republican.
[/quote]

Of course, this is exactly what a Republican plant would say.  So this is perhaps a little more evidence that Jfern is a GOP plant.  Interesting how he never seems to post while Karl Rove is on television.  Hmmm.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #67 on: October 07, 2005, 04:47:21 PM »

Actually, my stance has always been that 95% is the standard.  I have never said 95% is not statisitcally signifigant.  In fact, I have maintained the opposite.  95% is signifigant, unless you are looking for a 99% relationship.  then it is not.  I suppose it would not be at 96-98%, but I can't think of a situation where they would be used.

This is either another mistake on your part or an admission that your 94% stance is wrong and an attempt to subtly shift your position to the winning one that we need 95%, which JJ, myself and every other person on this forum who has a clue has been saying since day one.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #68 on: October 07, 2005, 08:06:39 PM »

Obviously, the title of this thread is grossly incorrect.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: November 10, 2005, 08:12:04 AM »

Bump
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #70 on: November 10, 2005, 11:29:44 AM »

So is King Fahd dead yet?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #71 on: February 06, 2006, 04:03:21 PM »

??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #72 on: June 28, 2006, 06:56:40 AM »

While JFern continues to bump his silly sh*t. I'll bump one of his posts I think is hilarious!
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #73 on: June 28, 2006, 12:24:24 PM »

1.  What's a rolodex?
2.  Didn't we finally decide jfern was right about the 95% thing?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #74 on: June 28, 2006, 02:00:36 PM »

1.  What's a rolodex?
2.  Didn't we finally decide jfern was right about the 95% thing?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies