Gore 2008 = Nixon 1968
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:00:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Gore 2008 = Nixon 1968
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gore 2008 = Nixon 1968  (Read 2859 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 31, 2005, 08:48:44 PM »

Because I said so.

Sign The Petition (Or don't)
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2005, 08:54:55 PM »

Had Gore not grown a beard, associated himself with MoveOn.org, and disappeared for a couple years...  He'd have a hell of shot at a come back.  But as things stand today, say it with me, no chance.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2005, 09:12:23 PM »

Had Gore not grown a beard, associated himself with MoveOn.org, and disappeared for a couple years...  He'd have a hell of shot at a come back.  But as things stand today, say it with me, no chance.

I'd have to agree.

While Nixon had his bad moment after losing the 1962 California governor's race (the last press conference), he generally rehabitated himself and presented himself as a moderate.  He gave tepid support to Goldwater in 1964.

What Gore has done is go heavily to the left.  The equivalent with Nixon would have been if he had blasted Goldwater as a pinko liberal, or something like that.  A bit of an exaggeration, but Nixon moved to the middle of the party, while Gore has moved to the fringes.

I truly believe that Gore had a mental breakdown after losing the 2000 election.  When he speaks now, he looks and sounds like a nutjob.  I never thought that about him before.  I don't think he stands a chance in 2008, but I'd like to see him run if it will damage Hillary's chances.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005, 09:23:02 PM »

I think the two situations are very similar for several reasons.  I'll explain why later, but I'd like to adress dazzle's last paragraph now.  Or at least, the last sentence of the last paragraph.

Dazzle, you need not worry about Hillary Clinton in 2008 in the general election.  She will lose, as long as the GOP nominates a white male candidate (and neither party has ever done otherwise).  What I think Gore can potentially do, that NO OTHER Democrat can do, is give Hillary a good fight for the nomination.  She will have a war chest the size of LA County's GDP, the insiders lined up, and of course, the most prominent Democratic figure of the past 40 years at her side at every turn.  What Gore can do is, possibly take away some of the moderates (especially the males), appeal to the left of course (see: HE BETRAYED THIS COUNTRY! at the 2004 convention) and maybe pull off a Cinderella.

But the real reason I hold on to this faint hope is simple: 2000.  I was 9-10 years old at the time, and it was the first election I really followed closely.  And, I feel like Gore won, becuase, I think he did.  Probably until the day I die it'll hurt me just a little bit that he never became president, because I had so much emotionally invested in it, and, I fell that is the election was fairly played out, he'd have won.

dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2005, 09:29:53 PM »

But the real reason I hold on to this faint hope is simple: 2000.  I was 9-10 years old at the time, and it was the first election I really followed closely.  And, I feel like Gore won, becuase, I think he did.  Probably until the day I die it'll hurt me just a little bit that he never became president, because I had so much emotionally invested in it, and, I fell that is the election was fairly played out, he'd have won.

It will hurt Gore until the day he dies, but I really think you'll get over it long before you die, provided you have a long and healthy life (which I hope you do).

I remember hearing about a meeting between George McGovern and Walter Mondale in 1985.  Mondale mentioned his electoral defeat, and asked McGovern when it stops hurting.  McGovern answered, "when it does, I'll let you know."

But for the rest of us, life goes on.  I was very upset when Carter won in 1976.  My mom actually cried at the election results that year.  It was another close election, like 2000, with allegations of voter fraud.  But as time goes on, you see that it was part of a larger plan.  Now, the 1976 election results don't bother me at all, except for the fact that we have to listen to that arrogant old scold Carter shooting his mouth off about things he should shut up about.  If he'd lost in 1976, we'd never have heard from him again, and that would have been a blessing.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2005, 09:40:36 PM »

Well, certainly it doesn't bother me every day.  It really isn't that bad of a "pain"; it's just that when I think about it, it bothers me, because I don't think we got a fair deal.  On average, maybe once a month I'll think about it and I'll get mad.

Ther only thing that you never get over are personal experiences.  Time heals all wounds except for a select few things.  But time heals the wounds of election losses.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2005, 10:05:29 PM »

I remember clearly in 1984, when Al Gore became Senator, my parents told me he would be President someday. So there was an extra level of disappointment when the 2000 election unraveled. I was pissed for a while, and actually got quite involved in politics because of it. I guess 2004, when we clearly lost it on our own, I pretty much got over it.

There's a huge part of me that thinks no way is Gore gonna run for Pres again, no way. But to have something more imaginative to say in the post, I put that aside.

Tweed is absolutely right that Gore could really put a crimp in Hillary's primary run for the White House. The main argument against her, and fear of her among Dems, is that she'll lose miserably, because people just really hate her. And so who do you look to against a candidate like that? The one that got more votes than the Republican in an election. (yeah, yeah, electoral blah blah blah) He can be seen, especially by those who don't pay close attention- which is most of them- as someone who can win AND can appeal to the Deaniacs as well as the populist voters attracted to Edwards.

He won't have the "senator" curse that the GOP nominee likely will. He can certainly raise enough money.

It's a great notion, except that Gore is burnt out and WILL NOT RUN.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2005, 10:09:33 PM »

The Parallels between Gore and Nixon are certainly uncanny, but I don't think Gore will run and win.

Never the less I would like to see him run and signed the petition.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2005, 11:06:45 PM »

It will hurt Gore until the day he dies, but I really think you'll get over it long before you die, provided you have a long and healthy life (which I hope you do).

I remember hearing about a meeting between George McGovern and Walter Mondale in 1985.  Mondale mentioned his electoral defeat, and asked McGovern when it stops hurting.  McGovern answered, "when it does, I'll let you know."

But for the rest of us, life goes on.  I was very upset when Carter won in 1976.  My mom actually cried at the election results that year.  It was another close election, like 2000, with allegations of voter fraud.  But as time goes on, you see that it was part of a larger plan.  Now, the 1976 election results don't bother me at all, except for the fact that we have to listen to that arrogant old scold Carter shooting his mouth off about things he should shut up about.  If he'd lost in 1976, we'd never have heard from him again, and that would have been a blessing.

1976 and 2000 have nothing to do with each other. Both Carter 1976 and Gore 2000 won both the popular vote, and the election.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2005, 11:08:18 PM »

The Parallels between Gore and Nixon are certainly uncanny, but I don't think Gore will run and win.

Yes, a Nixon paralell minus the curroption would be great.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2005, 11:15:07 AM »

^^^^

I'd have to fully agree with this statement. Although I hope he would have come back and lost again. Grin
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2005, 11:29:13 AM »

Gore is as good as Gone.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2005, 06:22:38 PM »

John Kerry for President in 2008 (because I said so Wink )
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2005, 06:30:00 PM »

No way, he would get 150 EC Votes Max, probably closer to 100.  The only reason he didn't embarass himself last time it the incompetency of our current President and against a credible opponent who isn't tied to the Bush administration's failures, he would lose heavily.  Americans hate a loser; re-nominated losing Presidential candidate most often do worse than the first time; especially when it's a consecutive one.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2005, 06:30:58 PM »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2005, 04:31:13 AM »

No way, he would get 150 EC Votes Max, probably closer to 100.  The only reason he didn't embarass himself last time it the incompetency of our current President and against a credible opponent who isn't tied to the Bush administration's failures, he would lose heavily.
Such as who?
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Hasn't happened in a long long time though. (Adlai Stevenson would be the last example I think.)

No, I'm not saying Kerry should run. Smiley
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2005, 04:53:09 AM »

Gore would win these states:
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2005, 05:43:57 AM »

Against who?
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2005, 02:02:24 PM »

If only... but which Gore will it be who ran?
Rococo4

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2005, 01:36:33 PM »

Gore wouldnit win Missouri against anyone.  He isnt going to ever get to that point anyways.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2005, 09:00:03 PM »

We can figure that out after we get him into the race.  The options are:

A) Southern Conservative Democrat
B) People v. the Powerful Populist
C) MoveOn Pit Bull
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2005, 09:47:14 PM »

C) MoveOn Pit Bull
A mix of A and B would be good, but he isn't very good at B, considering he didn't even win West Virginia in 2000.  I hate it when libertarian leaners point out how Gore was populist near the end of 2000 and say he lost because of it.  Tell me, if he succesfully portrayed himself as a populist how did he lose West Virginia and perform so poorly in Arkansas?
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2005, 05:40:08 AM »

C) MoveOn Pit Bull

A mix of A and B would be good, but he isn't very good at B, considering he didn't even win West Virginia in 2000.  I hate it when libertarian leaners point out how Gore was populist near the end of 2000 and say he lost because of it.  Tell me, if he succesfully portrayed himself as a populist how did he lose West Virginia and perform so poorly in Arkansas?

Agreed, a mix of A and B would be excellent... still i doubt he'd run Sad
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies