What is it to be "American" these days? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:13:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  What is it to be "American" these days? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What is it to be "American" these days?  (Read 2597 times)
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« on: October 06, 2005, 10:36:11 PM »

You aren't really American unless you assimilate and learn English. 
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2005, 01:52:42 AM »

You aren't really American unless you assimilate and learn English. 

Why?

How do you consider yourself to be American if you don't know one of the most basic things about being an American?  It's more or less a trait that all Americans have-speaking English.

MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2005, 05:48:36 PM »

The national language should be English for business/school those sort of purposes. But in homes and on the streets it can be anything you want. Smiley

Yes I agree. But on former mexican Land, it should be bilingual.

Why should it be bilingual?
You came here, you learn our language, bitch.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2005, 01:07:46 AM »

The national language should be English for business/school those sort of purposes. But in homes and on the streets it can be anything you want. Smiley

Yes I agree. But on former mexican Land, it should be bilingual.

Why should it be bilingual?
You came here, you learn our language, bitch.

um... NO!!! Because the southwest once belonged to another country with a totally differnt culture and language, and even measurement system. Look at Quebec in Canada, and see that it is fairly effective. You can't do a border-intelligent language barrier.
---
You can keep the metric system out of the southwest, but you can do nothing about the Spanish presence in there.

Just try and get the southwest back.  Take your sword, convert all the states back to Mexican jurisdiction.  I dare you.  Oh, and there are still so many of us decent white folk who will never give up white culture to go Mexican or God-forbid join than Marxist measuring system.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2005, 01:35:06 AM »

Roll Eyes  If nobody's gonna listen to you when you start a war, what the hell makes you think they'll listen to diplomacy? 

Oh, Mr. Richardson, Mrs. Napolitano, could you please give your states back to Mexico?  We'd like it if you gave them back.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2005, 03:35:34 AM »

What do you mean nobody is going to listen to me if I start a war? Look. Mexico is not a nation of war, and will never be. We are peaceful people. We're North America's switzerland.

Do you guys have good cheese or chocolate? 

And of course, the territories enclosed in that mass of land are now "americanized" beyond repair (except maybe some parts of LA).

No, they're Americanization doesn't need repair.  What needs repair is the illegals who taint our culture with sucking down free education, medicare, and social security, and ruining our culture by speaking spanish-yet giving nothing back in return other than strawberries-which we could replace you with machines if we were uncompassionate.

By now I'd think New Mexico is more closely related to let's say Massachussettes than let's say Chihuahua, or Nuevo Leon.

Yes, New Mexico is filled with hard-working people who won't take advantage of people that speak English.

Hey, At least we're not running out of space like those razzy Japaneseys

Yeah, if they try jumping a border they'll land in the Sea of Japan and drown.  Mexicans unfortunately have America to break their fall.

In other words, I think Mexico is OK the way it is today, and will probably remain the same for years to come.

You think so.  Try convincing the greater majority of Americans that.  Heck I'm just playing.  But I really do think you guys have to do something extraordinary for most Americans to respect you.  Most Americans still think you're the third world.  You have to do something to prove yourself. 

Honestly lets be getting back to the begining of MODU's topic.  Let's take this double standard:
1.If I speak English and refuse to learn Spanish, I'm a dirty gringo.  I'm not considered Mexican.
2.If you speak Spanish (in LA or something), you never have to learn English because of your community and you're treated with the upmost respect--your called a Mexican-American.

This is going to be Killerpollo and my PA-13 thread.  Watch out forum!
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2005, 06:09:34 PM »

Do you even know what an ad ignorantum is?  My arguments my have fallacies, but the one you called my argument on is not.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2005, 01:03:02 AM »

No.  The south shall rise again, and unfortunately it will be against you.  Fortunately I have faith in this country's xenophobia to keep you guys out.  This is one thing I'm glad Republicans are talking about.  You guys stay on your side, we'll on ours.  If your country was truly great-like you say it is-you wouldn't need our states back, nor would you be trying to infiltrate them.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2005, 03:42:26 AM »

Canadians already have the welfare state, so there's no reason for them to jump.  Ofcourse, Canada has a higher per capita GDP, so they have less of a reason to jump out of their country.  Of course keeping illegal Canucks out would be a good thing too.  Of course you do a bad job at portraying why exactly we should be a totally open-borders country.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies