Too much religion is a dangerous thing apparently
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:16:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Too much religion is a dangerous thing apparently
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Is to much religion is a dangerous thing?
Yes (d)

No (d)

Yes (r)

No (r)

Yes (i)

No (i)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 30

Author Topic: Too much religion is a dangerous thing apparently  (Read 3873 times)
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2005, 08:02:45 AM »

Does anybody get the difference between religion, (which I classify as just believing that there is a greater being or plan,) and fundamentalism, (which, for this purpose, I’m referring to terrorism and killing in the name of your God?)  There’s nothing wrong with religion, or how much you have.  It’s when you try and take that religion to a whole new level, and justify murder with it, that it becomes a very dangerous thing.

Now, you can also turn this study the whole other way, do places with more murder/rape/crime turn towards religion as a way of having some hope?  I really can’t get all your problems with religion, you say that it gets in the way of science and so forth, and if you’re referring to evolution, I got some questions for you: were you there?  Was anyone we know of there to tell about it?  No, because it was the creation of us, no matter what you believe.  So I see no problem with having different opinions about the creation of the Human race until someone learns how to travel back in time and see it.
MissCatholic

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2005, 08:25:53 AM »

liberals told everyone cenuturies ago that witches didn't exist but the conservatives kept burning them. Years and years later liberals were finally proved correct.

That's an interesting take on the "witch" situation.   Apparently, you haven't noticed that liberals have their own "witches" and are just as likely to burn them at the stake.  What an infantile take on this historic phenomenon.

witches - liberals were right, conservatives were wrong in the long term.
woman being able to vote - liberals were right, conservatives were wrong in the long term.
blacks sitting on buses - liberals were right, conservatives were wrong in the long term.
vietnam - liberals were right, conservatives were wrong in the long term.
evolution - liberals were right, conservatives were wrong in the long term.
(oh sorry they still are fighting this in religious countries)

current events
gay marriage - liberals will be right, conservatives will be wrong in the long term.
iraq- liberals will be right, conservatives will be wrong in the long term.

Conservatives think short term. liberals think long term. thats why liberals always lose. they are modernises and they want soceity to progress. conservatives dont want change and if they rule for decades we have a return to the stone age.

Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2005, 08:38:10 AM »

liberals told everyone cenuturies ago that witches didn't exist but the conservatives kept burning them. Years and years later liberals were finally proved correct.

That's an interesting take on the "witch" situation.   Apparently, you haven't noticed that liberals have their own "witches" and are just as likely to burn them at the stake.  What an infantile take on this historic phenomenon.
Conservatives think short term. liberals think long term. thats why liberals always lose. they are modernises and they want soceity to progress. conservatives dont want change and if they rule for decades we have a return to the stone age.
Interesting perspective.
MissCatholic

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2005, 09:09:16 AM »

Interesting perspective.

i have never met a liberal that thinks short term. the liberals always think long term.

by 2050 states to legalise gay marriage will be

but eventually it will be

but i will be dead when that happens.
KillerPollo
Mexico

Political Matrix
E: -3.15, S: -0.82

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2005, 09:30:42 AM »

Um.. Witches DO exist. But they're not the stereotypical kind of witch. A witch is anyone (usually a pagan girl) who prays to the weather, the sun, etc. A lot are wiccan. But that's what a Witch really is. Not a malicious sorceress who worships Satan.
MissCatholic

« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2005, 09:32:39 AM »

Christians have been attacking paganism since the day the preists decided to write the bible in 3 ad. So calling a witch a pagan girl gives the right another way to tackle the problem.

dont encourage them
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2005, 10:57:19 AM »

Christians have been attacking paganism since the day the preists decided to write the bible in 3 ad. So calling a witch a pagan girl gives the right another way to tackle the problem.

dont encourage them

Do you enjoy completely making $hit up? 
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2005, 11:40:32 AM »
« Edited: October 08, 2005, 11:42:42 AM by Everett »

Nomo, I think what you're conveniently forgetting is that the Pagans persecuted the Christians in the earlier days of the Christian church. (I don't specifically mean Wiccans, but rather non-Christian, non-Catholic religions in general, such as that which the ancient Romans followed.) Also, you seem to conveniently blame the witch burnings entirely on the Christians. I don't doubt that the Catholics (hint hint) were just as prone to religious hysteria (take the Spanish Inquisitions, for example) also. Now, I certainly don't condone these "witch burnings", but before you continue on with your sentimental drivel, try reading a trustworthy source (not a "feminist" book on Women's History, as they have this predictable tendency to be inaccurate about witchhunts and the "persecution" of women) and finding out what actually happened. Pagans persecuted Christians and Catholics; Christians and Catholics persecuted Pagans. So don't paint Pagans over as being such a wonderful, peaceful, wrongfully persecuted group. They might be more peaceful nowadays, but they sure as hell weren't peaceful back then.

And yeah, quit the BS already. You seriously expect anyone who's actually sane to take you seriously? Only the loony lefties here and the other radical dumbasses seem to like what you say.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2005, 12:08:30 PM »
« Edited: October 08, 2005, 12:10:39 PM by phknrocket1k »

Likewise, all of us have seen in movies or news or books what religious fanaticism entails. When a normal person is given this unusual situation of holding up a big sign and shouting messages like some doomsday prophet, they enter into the perceived role of religious fanatics and take on their attributes and behaviors. Combine this with mass (mob) psychology and I can easily see how Christians perpetrated the witchhunts that killed 16 million or the Inquisition or the Holocaust.

It doesn't matter one bit whether or not a well minded religious scholar condones the witch hunts or the holocaust. What really matters is that Christianity as an institution (and this is the primary function of Christianity) has a history filled with such activities as the witch hunts, the holocaust, and the crusades, all of which had various degrees of support from Christian leadership. Christianity is a deeply flawed religion - consider one flaw alone: that, by definition, the faith is intolerant with the beliefs of other people. If you think something wonderful or peaceful or grand is going to come out of this intolerance then you are deluding yourself.

The whole zealous faith over reason promotes such behavior. It is a small step from putting faith over science (such as believing it's even remotely feasible to have 2 of each species of animal on a wooden boat) to believing you are justified in murdering someone you believe to be a witch ("Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live") and so on.

Christianity promotes self-justification over external science/reason and so many evil deeds begin with self-righteousness. I do not say Christianity makes good people evil; I simply say that it is a wonderful garden for growing evil.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2005, 08:57:56 PM »

Voted no, as it is not inherently bad - it would depend on the religion. One could conceivably engineer a religion dedicated to the pursuit of knowledge, and so more religion would equal more people seeking knowledge and thusly less people being ignorant. I would say that generally that would be a good thing. On the flip side one could have a religion where it is so extreme that any pursuit of knowledge beyond what is known in the holy texts is considered a sin, so too much of that would definitely be bad. So, it more depends on the religion in question than religion in general.

Also, religions where I am God are also a good thing. More is better in that case. Grin
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2005, 09:04:04 PM »

You realize that the effort to ban gay marriage in Missouri passed by a huge margin right?  And West Virginia... come on...
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2005, 03:19:34 AM »

dont encourage them

Do you enjoy completely making $hit up? 

I think the answer to that question is obvious.
MissCatholic

« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2005, 10:10:17 AM »

You realize that the effort to ban gay marriage in Missouri passed by a huge margin right?  And West Virginia... come on...

off course. it justs takes longer for modern things to catch on in the isolationist bubble that is middle america.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies