What Did Lieberman Add to the Ticket?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:21:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  What Did Lieberman Add to the Ticket?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What Did Lieberman Add to the Ticket?  (Read 8731 times)
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 07, 2005, 07:16:43 PM »

Seriously, why did Gore choose Lieberman?  Looking at Gore's top VP picks, Governor Jeanne Shaheen would have swung NH to Gore, winning the election.  Same with Graham or Nelson.  What did Lieberman bring to the ticket that was so important?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2005, 07:25:13 PM »

Foreign policy experience?
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2005, 07:25:56 PM »

Who the fcuk knows what was going through Gore's mind.  Maybe he thought he'd help with the Jewish vote?  He should have went with Graham and it would have been a done deal.
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2005, 07:31:13 PM »

Being VP didn't help him with foreign policy?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2005, 07:32:52 PM »

Common error, Defarge - Bill Nelson was not a U.S. Senator in 2000. He was elected in 2000. Unless you think he would bring a good deal to the ticket as State Insurance Commissioner....   Tongue

Lieberman brought a few things to the ticket:  

1) His religion. It was something new for America.

2) His experience.

3) Guts. Remember that Lieberman stood up to Clinton during the impeachment hearings. I guess the Gore campaign thought it was a good way to distract attention when it came down to all the Clinton issues. Putting someone on the ticket who was critical of the administration was probably seen as something necessary.

Was Lieberman the best choice? No but I can see why Gore went with him.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2005, 07:36:40 PM »

3) Guts. Remember that Lieberman stood up to Clinton during the impeachment hearings. I guess the Gore campaign thought it was a good way to distract attention when it came down to all the Clinton issues. Putting someone on the ticket who was critical of the administration was probably seen as something necessary.

Thats what Im hearing.  By selecting Lieberman, Gore was trying to distance himself from Clinton and the whole Lewinski scandal.  Apparently, Lieberman was very critical of Clinton durring the whole scandal/impeachment.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2005, 07:38:38 PM »

Apparently, Lieberman was very critical of Clinton durring the whole scandal/impeachment.

Yep. Very critical. What's amazing, though, is that in the past Democratic primaries, Lieberman tried the most to claim to be a Bill Clinton Democrat.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2005, 08:00:36 PM »

Apparently, Lieberman was very critical of Clinton durring the whole scandal/impeachment.

Yep. Very critical. What's amazing, though, is that in the past Democratic primaries, Lieberman tried the most to claim to be a Bill Clinton Democrat.

He is talking about IDEOLOGY.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2005, 08:36:33 PM »

or so we believe. Wink
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2005, 09:21:01 PM »

I understand that but it's still odd.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2005, 09:35:34 PM »

Being a jew
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2005, 10:28:15 PM »

Nothing.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2005, 10:29:17 PM »

Lieberman couldn't have hurt in Florida.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2005, 10:38:17 PM »

Lieberman helped Gore come within 600 votes of president.  He possibly delivered PA.  I would say the Lieberman was one of the five best picks in the last 40 years.

The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2005, 10:40:19 PM »

Lieberman helped Gore come within 600 votes of president.  He possibly delivered PA.  I would say the Lieberman was one of the five best picks in the last 40 years.

He may have delivered Penn but he lost Gore Tenn.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2005, 12:51:00 AM »

Being jewish helped Gore get so close to Florida.  Also Lieberman brought a strong moral personality to the ticket which helped Gore distance himself with Bill BJ Clinton.  Also it does look good compared to Dubya who had the DUI come up during the campaign.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2005, 06:46:23 AM »
« Edited: October 08, 2005, 08:41:10 AM by dazzleman »

No, I think Gore lost Gore Tennessee.  I don't think Lieberman had anything to do with it.  Gore was popular in Tennessee when he was a conservative pro-life Democrat.  When he became a liberal Democrat and the poster child for NARAL, he lost a lot of his Tennessee support.  By 2000, he hadn't held an office elected statewide for 8 years, and he had changed quite a bit, especially during Clinton's second term.  I think the Lewinsky scandal, and Gore's strong defense of Clinton, is what cost him the south, including Tennessee.  Lieberman had nothing to do with that.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2005, 06:53:02 AM »

Seriously, why did Gore choose Lieberman?  Looking at Gore's top VP picks, Governor Jeanne Shaheen would have swung NH to Gore, winning the election.  Same with Graham or Nelson.  What did Lieberman bring to the ticket that was so important?

That's all hindsight.  Did anybody really know at the time of VP selection that the election would come down to very narrow margins in any one state.

I think Lieberman was a good pick.  It's easy to forget, but at the time, he was a centrist Democrat who questioned affirmative action, stood up against Hollywood, and favored at least considering school vouchers.  He had also taken a stand against Clinton's moral failures, perjury, etc.  Yet he was basically a mainstream Democrat who would not turn off the Democratic base, and clearly, in the 2000 election, it was not with the base that the Democrats had a problem.

Lieberman lost much of his luster for me when he kissed Maxine Waters' ring, and agreed to drop any position that he had that made any sense.  I think Maxine Waters is one of the stupidest, most malicious people in government, and when I saw him meeting with her, and agreeing to adopt the positions she wanted, I could never view him the same way again.

Still, Gore's strategy of holding the base and reaching out to enough moderate voters, who were disgusted with Clinton's personal behavior and unwilling to vote for an overtly liberal ticket, would have worked but for one reason - Al Gore himself.  He was a terrible candidate who turned off just enough voters to end up losing at a time of peace and prosperity when his party held the presidency.  It was a pretty good feat.

But let's put the blame where it belongs.  It belongs not to Lieberman, but to Gore.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2005, 08:35:30 AM »

No, I think Gore lost Gore Tennessee.  I don't think Lieberman had anything to do with it.  Gore was popular in Tennessee when he was a conservative pro-life Democrat.  When he became a liberal Democrat and the post child for NARAL, he lost a lot of his Tennessee support.  By 2000, he hadn't held an office elected statewide for 8 years, and he had changed quite a bit, especially during Clinton's second term.  I think the Lewinsky scandal, and Gore's strong defense of Clinton, is what cost him the south, including Tennessee.  Lieberman had nothing to do with that.

Agreed.  Lieberman didn't cost Gore any state and may have given him some.  Most people who would vote against Lieberman, because he is Jewish, are very unlikely to vote for Gore, because Gore is a liberal (or at least packaged himself as one during that election).
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2005, 10:12:28 AM »

Why excatly should Gore have distanced himself from a President who had lead America into one of the longest period of economic growth and prosperity in history, and approval ratings reaching nearly 60%?
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2005, 10:26:33 AM »

Why excatly should Gore have distanced himself from a President who had lead America into one of the longest period of economic growth and prosperity in history, and approval ratings reaching nearly 60%?

Gore had horrible advisors.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2005, 10:28:42 AM »

But they did well on election day.  They pulled out every vote they could find, which got them PA and almost got FL.  Donna Brazile was the mastermind, and I have no idea why Kerry didn't call on her in his campaign.

Also, shouldn't this be in the 2000 board?
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2005, 10:38:24 AM »

TexasGurl,

Gore lost Tennessee for Gore (don't blame Lieberman).

I suspect that JJ may be right about Pennsylvania.

Finally, Lieberman added a tone of decency and gravitas to the ticket.

dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2005, 12:01:25 PM »

Two reasons.  #1, a sitting VP running for president is in a very tricky position.  He must prove he's his own person.  A VP rarely gets elected simply by hanging on the president's coattails.  Even George Bush in 1988 distanced himself from Reagan's greatest perceived weakness somewhat by calling for a "kinder, gentler America."  Clinton's greatest perceived weakness was his personal behavior, and Gore needed to distance himself from that.

#2 - While Clinton's job approval ratings were high, his personal approval ratings were low.  Because of Gore's strong defense of Clinton's behavior, he was somewhat stained with Clinton's problems, but he lacked the personality and demeanor to get voters to forgive him for it, the way Clinton did.  Also, in terms of a state-by-state analysis, their polls showed a much greater distaste for Clinton personally in the south.  Gore knew he had to crack the south in order to win, and that he would win in the northeast and on the west coast even if he killed Tipper on camera in the middle of the campaign.

So I think his campaign strategy was not such a bad one, but that he was a bad candidate, and would have been regardless of his strategy.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2005, 04:12:56 PM »

Yes, I'm still waiting for Donna Brazilla to be kicked out of the Democratic party. She's friends with Karl Rove!
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies