Bush passes LBJ in spending
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:32:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Bush passes LBJ in spending
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Bush passes LBJ in spending  (Read 2973 times)
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix
E: 8.50, S: -0.62

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2005, 02:16:09 PM »

This study doesn't consider entitlement spending, as in Medicare and Medicaid.  Talking about LBJ's spending habits without mentioning these programs is like talking about his foreign policy without mentioning Vietnam.

The thing is, how would you measure it fairly? Bush's Medicare expansion hasn't taken effect yet, and spending in this category could go up for a lot of reasons that the president can't control.

You can't measure it fairly.  There are too many variables.  For example, how much blame for LBJ's economic legacy lies with Nixon?  That's what we're really talking about, is the legacies of recent presidents, not how much Congress spent strictly during their presidencies.

What Cato did here is to take a president with a terrible legacy, find a number that doesn't make him look too bad, and then compare him to Bush.  Just because you have numbers to make a comparison does not mean the comparison is valid.

I appreciate Cato's criticism of Bush on spending, but joining with the "blame Bush for everything" crowd is not constructive.  Bush is not solely to blame for rising spending.  The transportation bill is a perfect example.  It passed 412-8 in the House, so obviously the Democrats were not too offended by the pork in the bill.  Sure, it would have been nice if Bush had vetoed it, but the veto can't be the only control on spending.  Both parties in Congress have to start showing some responsibility.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2005, 02:52:24 PM »

Remind me again why liberals hate this guy so much?  I was never a fan of divided government, but divided government is looking better and better.

The question should be why do conservatives love him so much.

Thats actually because conservatives are PRO-DEBT.

Definitely. Take national debt / GDP

Down under every Democratic President since World War II (Truman and later)
Up under every recent Republican President (Ford and later)

How fun that you include truman but leave Eisenhower out.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2005, 02:56:17 PM »

Remind me again why liberals hate this guy so much?  I was never a fan of divided government, but divided government is looking better and better.

The question should be why do conservatives love him so much.

Thats actually because conservatives are PRO-DEBT.

Definitely. Take national debt / GDP

Down under every Democratic President since World War II (Truman and later)
Up under every recent Republican President (Ford and later)

How fun that you include truman but leave Eisenhower out.

I was pointing out that it's been true for every Democrat for 60 years, and every Republican for 30 years.
Ike was a bit of a RINO, anyways.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2005, 03:54:46 PM »

Well, for example, Bush's spending spree benefits only the owning class, and particuarly his cronies in the 'defense' industry, etc.  LBJ's spending spree included some crumbs for the poor.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2005, 05:02:05 PM »

A Massive Tax Cut and then coming within .1% of LBJ is very fiscally irresponsible.

LBJ's tax cut was probably larger.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2005, 09:59:24 AM »

Remind me again why liberals hate this guy so much?
Because of Iraq, the Patriot Act, the Partial Birth Abortion Act, faith-based initiatives, and the unconstitutional imprisonment of "enemy combatants.

I happen to agree with Bush on most of those, but then I'm not exactly much of a liberal

Still, in terms of balancing the budget he and Congress have been characterised by cackhanded incompetence. Never agreed with giving tax cuts to those who don't need them

Dave
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies