Day 47: Washington
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:26:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Day 47: Washington
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Day 47: Washington  (Read 2810 times)
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 10, 2005, 12:05:56 AM »

Seems like yet another state that's very Democrat v. Republican, urban v. rural-yet wins out because the big city (or bigcity areas) win over.  Is this true?  Anything interesting about it?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 12:17:55 AM »

Suburbs in Washington State are by and large Democratic, especially around Seattle.  In fact, if the suburbs were to disappear (that incluedes suburban areas incorporated into Seattle), Washington would probably be a Republican state.

Washington is actually a very interesting state for this kind of thing, and I don't just say that because I live there.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2005, 12:20:45 AM »

A heavily Dem leaning state due to its big city, even though that city appears to have a terrible prudish streak with banning lapdances and thus has eliminated me from moving there (which is too bad since prior to that I thought it would be a great city to live in)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005, 12:24:50 AM »

A heavily Dem leaning state due to its big city, even though that city appears to have a terrible prudish streak with banning lapdances and thus has eliminated me from moving there (which is too bad since prior to that I thought it would be a great city to live in)

No, it's not Democratic because of Seattle.  You could remove Seattle and Kerry still would have won (albeit narrowly) - it's Seattle's suburbs that make the state Democratic.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2005, 12:25:23 AM »

Washington is another otherwise very decent state depredated by urban injustice.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2005, 12:25:50 AM »

Suburbs in Washington State are by and large Democratic, especially around Seattle.  In fact, if the suburbs were to disappear (that incluedes suburban areas incorporated into Seattle), Washington would probably be a Republican state.

See BRTD?  Suburbs have some use... If they were done away with they'd go to the Republican.  Wouldn't want that would you?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2005, 12:26:05 AM »

Washington is another otherwise very decent state depredated by urban injustice.

Lord almighty, man.  Do you read?
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2005, 12:27:34 AM »

And Alcon.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2005, 12:36:30 AM »

How about that mayor in Spokane.....insert joke here.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2005, 12:47:34 AM »

See BRTD?  Suburbs have some use... If they were done away with they'd go to the Republican.  Wouldn't want that would you?

but the suburbs would not exist without Seattle and outer suburbs that vote Republican would probably disappear as well.

Do those suburbs also have prudish tyranny laws, in which case there would be an example of suburbs actually better than the city?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2005, 12:50:02 AM »
« Edited: December 22, 2006, 01:55:23 PM by Alcon »

See BRTD?  Suburbs have some use... If they were done away with they'd go to the Republican.  Wouldn't want that would you?

but the suburbs would not exist without Seattle and outer suburbs that vote Republican would probably disappear as well.

Do those suburbs also have prudish tyranny laws, in which case there would be an example of suburbs actually better than the city?

Actually, the only Seattle suburbs that vote Republican are the innermost across Lake Washington - Medina, Clyde Hill, and Yarrow Point.  Rural Eastern King County - in the Cascade Mountains - is very Democratic, although sparsely populated.  We don't really have any exurban areas.  (LATE POST-EDIT: Yes, we do.  I'm retarded.)

I'm not aware of any Seattle suburb having strip club laws.  There's never been a move to open them in any of them, really.  There's a few, but it's not a big thing in Washington.

By the way, "prudish tyranny laws"?  As opposed to non-prudish tyranny laws?
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2005, 12:52:28 AM »

I was looking forward to Washington but I really don't know what to say.

As Alcon said, Washington would still have voted for Kerry without Seattle, so HAH.

There's also the ISLAND EFFECT. Almost all the island areas are very liberal, often breaking 70% for Kerry, despite being mostly white and rural/small town. The military presense around Oak Harbor probably tilts Island County  to the dark side, though.

Washington is not very religious compared to other states which probably helps the Democrats. Eastern Washington is pretty conservative, there are a few Democratic areas (Indian reservations, college towns, Spokane, and several mostly-hispanic cities, as well as the random white city that votes Democrat).

Outside of the Tri-Cities in south central Washington (all three of which broke 60% for Bush), most of the larger cities voted solidly Kerry. Seattle at 81%, Tacoma at 62%, Bellingham at 69%, Olympia at 68%, Bellevue at 57%, and Everett at 59%. Spokane voted 51% Kerry, Bremerton 55%, and Vancouver 53%. Yakima voted for Bush.

Some rural areas in Western Washington vote Democrat, but in the East they are almost exclusively Republican.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2005, 01:15:47 AM »

And Alcon.

zing
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2005, 02:27:43 AM »

As long as Dean Logan is 'finding' votes, this state is safe Democrat.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2005, 02:30:53 AM »
« Edited: October 10, 2005, 03:04:34 AM by Alcon »

I generally enjoy your posts, but that joke is getting a little old.  If you do not have something to seriously contribute to the conversation beyond Dean Logan posts, it would probably be best not to pollute the board contents.

I don't mean to be rude, but this is not the place.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2005, 02:44:32 AM »

Unfortunately, this is NO joke.

Friday, October 7, 2005

Elections: Still finding votes

SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER EDITORIAL BOARD

When it was reported that King County elections officials had discovered 18 uncounted ballots in the sheriff's race, one wag e-mailed us: "Let me guess; they were all for Christine Gregoire."

Ah, such is the sullied reputation of the King County elections office after the 2004 general election debacle, just the latest in a series of miscues over several years.

So it was that just as King County Executive Ron Sims was touting the "overall positive tenor" of an independent audit "coming on the heels of a smooth primary election," news came of the 18 overlooked ballots.

Now, in a vacuum, finding fewer than 20 misplaced ballots in an election in which more than 300,000 ballots were cast could be dismissed as an almost incalculably small error rate. But King County's 2005 primary election took place in anything but a vacuum. The process took place under excruciatingly rigid scrutiny by county elections officials, the independent auditors and outside observers of varied political and ideological stripe. This election was a low-turnout primary contest with relatively few contested seats and ballot measures. It should have been a quite easy test, more of a quiz than a final exam.

Did the county pass the test? Yes, but it missed the "A" mark at best. The votes of at least 18 people (the errors were discovered in the machine recount of a single countywide race) were nearly discarded; 18 people nearly disenfranchised.

Granting that a perfect election may be a technical impossibility, King County has a long way to go before challenging that hypothesis.

Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2005, 02:54:07 AM »
« Edited: October 10, 2005, 02:58:19 AM by Alcon »

That is fascinating beyond all plausible belief, but I would encourage you to read the description of this board before posting material irrelevant to the intent of these topics.

That stuff is worth addressing, but this is not the place.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2005, 03:08:23 AM »

I sure am glad that we have Dean Logan, because Lord knows that Washington would be more Republican than Utah without him.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2005, 04:51:27 AM »

Why are Yakima and the tri cities so Republican?
Also, what's the matter with the high Hispanic population in & around Yakima, including on the Yakama Rez? That's one I've long been wondering about.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2005, 09:25:15 AM »

Social conservativism.  It's an agricultural and blue-collar manufacturing area with few unions.

Also, what's the matter with the high Hispanic population in & around Yakima, including on the Yakama Rez? That's one I've long been wondering about.

Farm workers.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2005, 10:19:30 AM »

Social conservativism.  It's an agricultural and blue-collar manufacturing area with few unions.

Farm workers.
And do they vote?
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2005, 04:29:50 PM »

Farm workers.
And do they vote?

I don't know. Mostly hispanic cities in Yakima county voted 60-75% Democrat. However, Pasco (a tri city) is like 62% hispanic and over 60% Bush.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2005, 07:41:58 PM »

What a troll.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2005, 09:28:46 PM »

ha, and people say I have a one track mind. Seriously, get over it dude, you're about the last person who cares anywhere.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2005, 10:26:42 PM »

ha, and people say I have a one track mind. Seriously, get over it dude, you're about the last person who cares anywhere.

I care.  I think it needs to be addressed.  It's just that here isn't the place.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies