Teenagers have no respect or manners for adults anymore
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:33:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Teenagers have no respect or manners for adults anymore
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Do you agree?
Yes (d)

No (d)

Yes (r)

No (r)

Yes (i)

No (i)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 46

Author Topic: Teenagers have no respect or manners for adults anymore  (Read 13997 times)
MissCatholic

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2005, 08:59:13 AM »

No (D).  It's just the minority of teens who disrespect elders on a daily basis that are highlighted in polls and surveys.

-Thad

but loud rude people get heard and listened to just ask fox news!
The Constitarian
Rookie

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2005, 08:25:21 PM »

I believe that respect is a two way road.  Also, it must be earned.  Adults assume that because people are younger than them they are also inferior.  There are many young brilliant people out there who are silenced by assholes who think themselves superior on age alone.  I have a question for MissCatholic.  You were quick to bother this young man at work to point out his flaws but have you gone as much out of your way to show gratitude to strangers who did help you.  Many kids today are taught respect from a young age (the ones who aren't are a totally different problem in society).  In order for this to stick all the adults have to do is stop assuming they are up to no good when they offer to help.  This is coming from someone who got detention in school when a teacher suspected him of being up to no good when he showed up at school smiling and has been a cynic of most people ever since.
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2005, 10:13:00 PM »

Really, kids today seem a lot more polite than when I was a kid.  I've always liked this little gem from collumnist Mary Schmich:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2005, 04:43:07 PM »

I'm paying part of your $100,000 salary is just arrogance. 

Damn university professors are well-paid in the USA! Here academics are some of the least well-paid around, especially for their qualifications. Starting pay for an academic in their first post here would be about £22,318 ($39,199) and when they rich their sixties and are near retirement would be paid around £42,707 ($75,003).
Giant Saguaro
TheGiantSaguaro

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 3.83

« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2005, 06:34:32 PM »

I've run across a lot of very respectful young people as well as a lot of disrespectful young people. It all depends. And you have to consider something else: we, as adults, sometimes take things as disrespectful when whatever was done was not intended to be.

Of course, people have been complaining for about 8,000 years that young people don't care about education (some of the oldest forms of writing depict young people as disinterested and lazy, as an English professor buddy of mine maintains all the time) too.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2005, 07:22:36 PM »

The kids at my HS are too spolied they drive around in Mercades and Bemers and they all are 100% Assholes not all of them are but most of them are. For example I was in one of my classes yesterday and this boy who is a spolied snob makes fun of another boy who happens to be autistic and then makes fun of people who are taking an alternative to collage like learning a trade or going to a community collage. A nuff said don't you think?
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2005, 07:29:30 PM »

Its bad at my school to say the least.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2005, 09:39:37 PM »

People have been saying this for a long time.

Most teenagers I know are respectful.  Some are not intentionally disrespectful, but lack a certain level of confidence, and behave in a way as a result that may seem disrespectful.

If there is a problem with disrespect, it is certainly not confined to teenagers.  Many adults are worse.  Parents at athletic events cursing out coaches and other kids who are playing are a good example of this problem.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2005, 06:41:09 AM »
« Edited: October 14, 2005, 06:43:41 AM by Kevin »

It's the same where I live. Belive I am not too suprasied their parents also act this way.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2005, 11:38:38 AM »

No (D) - most teenagers are OK

Dave
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2005, 03:54:46 PM »

You might find this timely and interesting:
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/10/14/poll.rude.ap/index.html

I'll have more to post later -- this is a good subject.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies