Robert Casey, Sr. vs. Bill Clinton - '96 Primary
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:50:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Robert Casey, Sr. vs. Bill Clinton - '96 Primary
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Robert Casey, Sr. vs. Bill Clinton - '96 Primary  (Read 1263 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 12, 2005, 03:49:47 PM »

Something I never knew...

Prohibited from seeking a third term, Casey left office in 1995 but contemplated a run for President to oppose Bill Clinton in the 1996 Democratic primaries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_P._Casey

How would this have gone?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2005, 05:19:33 PM »

Clinton would smoke him like he smoked pot 30 years earlier.  Only this time, he'd inhale.

Seriously, Casey would not have stood a chance.  10% in IA and NH and fading percentages thereafter.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2005, 05:22:45 PM »

Clinton would smoke him like he smoked pot 30 years earlier.  Only this time, he'd inhale.

Seriously, Casey would not have stood a chance.  10% in IA and NH and fading percentages thereafter.

I would have loved to see how PA would go!  Smiley

I figured that Clinton would easily beat Casey but not 90% in IA and NH. Another interesting idea would be Clinton vs. Dole vs. Perot vs. Casey in the general.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2005, 06:14:13 PM »

Why exactly would Casey have wanted to run against Clinton?  I thought they were both fairly similar ideologically.  I'd assume it would have been merely an ego boost for Casey.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2005, 06:15:55 PM »

Why exactly would Casey have wanted to run against Clinton?  I thought they were both fairly similar ideologically.  I'd assume it would have been merely an ego boost for Casey.

They had a pretty big clash before the 1992 convention (or was it '96?).  Casey was prohibited from speaking before the convention because of his pro-life stance.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2005, 06:17:48 PM »

He was very angry about the abortion issue. In fact, he didn't even endorse his Senate appointee (Harris Wofford) in the '94 election against Santorum. He refused to back Clinton in '92 for the same reason. He obviously would have been destroyed if he made abortion the only issue but he would have probably found some other issues. I wouldn't say Clinton and Casey were of the same ideology either.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2005, 07:10:48 PM »

I would have loved to see how PA would go!  Smiley

I figured that Clinton would easily beat Casey but not 90% in IA and NH. Another interesting idea would be Clinton vs. Dole vs. Perot vs. Casey in the general.
somebody should make A PF scenario for that!
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2005, 08:55:12 PM »

I ran a Bush Vs. Casey Vs. Perot race as Perot, and this is what I got:

I ran a pretty good race for Perot which helped him pick up a good chunk of the electorate plus a huge amount of the PV. Things didnt go so hot for Bush who would lose close races in PA, FL, and OH.

Casey: 36%

Bush: 32%

Perot: 32%

I, sure the elimination of Perot from the race (or at least a worse performance) would shw this to be a very close matchup.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies