Religion and Law
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:55:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Religion and Law
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Religion should play a major role in how we make our laws?
Strongly Agree

Agree

Neutral

Disagree

Strongly Disagree

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 30

Author Topic: Religion and Law  (Read 2643 times)
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 12, 2005, 05:09:02 PM »

From the political matrix...

I say strongly disagree. Of course, most people who answer agree to this have in mind Christianity (usually conservative Christianity).
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2005, 05:11:12 PM »

The basic principles shared by all mainstream religions should be an essential part of the rights and freedoms of democracies.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2005, 05:12:22 PM »

Strongly disagree. No person has the right to use the government to proselytize, or to impose his religious views on society.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2005, 05:16:17 PM »

It is the quality of the laws, not what they are based on, that matters.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2005, 05:22:15 PM »

Of course. But the question seems to refer to whether the government should enact "blue laws," school prayer, the placement of Ten Commandments monuments on courthouses, or even extreme measures such as prohibitions on blasphemy and the establishment of a religion.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2005, 05:26:43 PM »

I agree.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2005, 05:47:03 PM »

Option 1
Redefeatbush04

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2005, 05:59:49 PM »
« Edited: October 12, 2005, 06:02:59 PM by RED VT AVATAR »

I don't really care whether or not religion was involved in making a law; as long as it is a good law what difference does it make. Also note that there is a difference between religion affecting your opinion on an issue and relgion being the subject of a law. I firmly believe in upholding the separation between church and state but don't want to be unnecessarily crude about it. I don't see what harm putting a christmas tree in a school is causing - and yet it is controversial. And voluntary prayer isn't a bad thing either. However having group prayer each morning in school, so long as education is compulsory, I disagree with.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2005, 07:22:52 PM »

Strongly Disagree. This isnt a one religion country. So to rule it that way is rediculous beyond all belief.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2005, 07:43:13 PM »

This country isn't all-anything. Not all of us support a government, but we have one.
The Constitarian
Rookie

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2005, 08:12:12 PM »

Religion is becoming more and more a part of American government.  It is completely unconstitutional that businesses are forced to close on Sunday.  In the America our founding fathers planned I should be able to go out one Sunday and buy a car and some alcohol to celebrate (not combining the two).
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2005, 08:14:05 PM »

It is completely unconstitutional that businesses are forced to close on Sunday. 
How so?
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2005, 08:23:30 PM »

Unconstitutional=He doesn't support it
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2005, 11:01:43 PM »

If someone were a lawmaker, I hope one of the things they would consider when voting on a law would be "Is this right or wrong?". I'm sure many people's sense of right and wrong is related to their religion, but at the same time, consider the rights of everyone.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2005, 12:12:25 AM »

Religion is becoming more and more a part of American government.  It is completely unconstitutional that businesses are forced to close on Sunday.  In the America our founding fathers planned I should be able to go out one Sunday and buy a car and some alcohol to celebrate (not combining the two).

What constitution were you reading?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2005, 05:10:33 AM »

It is completely unconstitutional that businesses are forced to close on Sunday. 
How so?

To do so establishes a State bias or support of a particular religion, Emsworth.  Nothing could be more obvious.

Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2005, 05:20:16 AM »

How so?

To do so establishes a State bias or support of a particular religion, Emsworth.  Nothing could be more obvious.

Actually, no it doesn't, unless the law that forces businesses to close on Sunday states specifically that it is done so because some religions mandate a day of rest.  Of course, you are more concerned with nonexistant religious bias than the fact that such a law would force an employer to do something that the government should not force him to do... that is where the invasion of freedom lies.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2005, 05:28:55 AM »

How so?

Actually, no it doesn't, unless the law that forces businesses to close on Sunday states specifically that it is done so because some religions mandate a day of rest.  Of course, you are more concerned with nonexistant religious bias than the fact that such a law would force an employer to do something that the government should not force him to do... that is where the invasion of freedom lies.

It doesn't matter whether it specifically states a religious reason, as the intention is obvious. 

I do agree that in a free society no set opening or closing hours should be mandated (I love 24 hour service) but I believe appropriate wage and overtime regulations should be made for the sake of the powerless workers in such establishments.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2005, 05:45:40 AM »

You don't honestly think these places would keep people working for twenty-four hours straight do you?  If I worked under that sort of condition I'd just quit.

The intention is not obvious, either way, of a law that can be open to different interpretations.  For example, if it is not done for religious reasons, it could be done for worker's rights regulations, which you pointed out in an odd attempt to discredit yourself in the same post.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2005, 06:33:46 AM »

How so?
Forcing businesses to close on any particular day does not respect the establishment of religion. There could be a completely secular reason for providing a day of rest.

Closing a business is not a religious activity, unlike school prayer, for example.
The Constitarian
Rookie

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2005, 04:57:09 PM »

How so?
It is unconstitutional because government is taking away peoples right to free commerce.  The only possible reason to end capitolism on Sundays is christianity.
The Constitarian
Rookie

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2005, 04:58:41 PM »

Unconstitutional=He doesn't support it
You are right because I stand for fighting against unconstitutional acts of government.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2005, 05:40:57 PM »

It is unconstitutional because government is taking away peoples right to free commerce.
And where exactly does the Constitution guarantee this so-called right to free commerce?

You must be logged in to read this quote.
That is not necessarily so.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2005, 05:44:07 PM »

Strongly Disagree
The Constitarian
Rookie

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2005, 08:53:21 PM »

It is unconstitutional because government is taking away peoples right to free commerce.
And where exactly does the Constitution guarantee this so-called right to free commerce?
It is stated in the ninth and tenth ammendments where it explains that even if not mentioned in the constitution, everything is a right unless ruled not to be by the states.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
That is not necessarily so.
feel free to explain another reason.

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies