If you found out your mother had been raped...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:37:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  If you found out your mother had been raped...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ...and became pregnant with you, would you kill yourself?
Yes (D)

No (D)

Yes (R)

No (R)

Yes (I/O)

No (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 35

Author Topic: If you found out your mother had been raped...  (Read 2567 times)
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 13, 2005, 01:29:51 AM »

If you found out your mother had been raped and became pregnant with you, would you kill yourself?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 01:30:57 AM »

No.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2005, 04:53:20 AM »

No, but I would wholeheartedly support her right to abortion, Ebowed you troll.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2005, 04:57:04 AM »
« Edited: October 13, 2005, 04:59:04 AM by Senator Porce »

Her right to abortion is well past due considering that you are in your thirties, unless you support euthanasia for children of rape. (?)

And I'm sorry, did you just call me a troll?  Guess that's what I get for posting a poll with an obvious rhetorical answer that you disagree with.  Well, I'm glad you understood the implication.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2005, 05:09:17 AM »

Her right to abortion is well past due considering that you are in your thirties, unless you support euthanasia for children of rape. (?)

And I'm sorry, did you just call me a troll?  Guess that's what I get for posting a poll with an obvious rhetorical answer that you disagree with.  Well, I'm glad you understood the implication.

Your poll is very silly, Ebowed.  Those of us who believe in individual rights for women support abortion in all cases.  This particular interest in rape cases is just some nonsense from the right-wingers.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2005, 05:18:02 AM »

Your poll is very silly, Ebowed.  Those of us who believe in individual rights for women support abortion in all cases.  This particular interest in rape cases is just some nonsense from the right-wingers.

A post dodge if there ever was one.  This "particular interest" in rape cases comes from the fact that some people seem to believe that anyone who opposes abortion for rape cases are impractical and somehow don't deserve respect for their opinion-- the oh-so-tolerant left at work again.  Besides, I'm just asking, since the nine months a pregnancy entails obviously outweigh the value of a new life in your opinion, would you reduce your mother's stress and off yourself?  Surely she doesn't want a reminder walking around that she had to endure nine months of pregnancy due to rape, right?

"Those of us who believe in individual rights for women support abortion in all cases..."  I realize that you oppose individual rights for women based on their birth status, so perhaps I should not continue.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2005, 05:31:35 AM »

A post dodge if there ever was one.  This "particular interest" in rape cases comes from the fact that some people seem to believe that anyone who opposes abortion for rape cases are impractical and somehow don't deserve respect for their opinion-- the oh-so-tolerant left at work again.

I believe that anyone who opposes abortion in any case doesn't deserve respect for their opinion.  Rape doesn't even enter into it.  You're all just misogynistic tyrants, poking your noses in where you have no business - women's internal organs.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

No, because I care only about myself, like every other normal person, Ebowed.

"Those of us who believe in individual rights for women support abortion in all cases..."  I realize that you oppose individual rights for women based on their birth status, so perhaps I should not continue.
[/quote]
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2005, 05:34:51 AM »

A post dodge if there ever was one.  This "particular interest" in rape cases comes from the fact that some people seem to believe that anyone who opposes abortion for rape cases are impractical and somehow don't deserve respect for their opinion-- the oh-so-tolerant left at work again.  Besides, I'm just asking, since the nine months a pregnancy entails obviously outweigh the value of a new life in your opinion, would you reduce your mother's stress and off yourself?  Surely she doesn't want a reminder walking around that she had to endure nine months of pregnancy due to rape, right?
[/quote]Obviously she does, since otherwise she would have had the abortion.
Anyways if you wanted to make that sort of rather stupidish point, you asked the question wrong. If anything, it should be, if you found out your mother had you as a result of rape, would you kill her?
Obviously it's a very stupid and loaded question. Doesn't make you a troll though. Smiley
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2005, 05:40:21 AM »
« Edited: October 13, 2005, 05:55:18 AM by Senator Porce »

I believe that anyone who opposes abortion in any case doesn't deserve respect for their opinion.

Then you are clearly a prude.

Rape doesn't even enter into it.  You're all just misogynistic tyrants, poking your noses in where you have no business - women's internal organs.

You must disagree with science then, as a fetus is a living human being with a separate genetic code than that of the mother's, not an internal organ.

No, because I care only about myself, like every other normal person, Ebowed.

If not caring about only myself makes me something other than normal, than I proudly accept that, but clearly you are not normal for holding such selfish views.

Obviously she does, since otherwise she would have had the abortion.

From the perspective of someone like opebo who encourages raped women to get abortions, I'm simply asking if they would support suicide in the case that they wish to make up for the nine months of pregnancy the mother had to go through.  Although, since opebo seems to believe that random organs magically evolve into babies at birth, not much point in discussing abortion with him.

Anyways if you wanted to make that sort of rather stupidish point, you asked the question wrong. If anything, it should be, if you found out your mother had you as a result of rape, would you kill her?
Obviously it's a very stupid and loaded question. Doesn't make you a troll though. Smiley

Loaded, certainly, but that was the point. Wink

Either way, the person I know who was the product of rape is pretty glad he wasn't aborted in the womb.  I'm sure he'd be baffled by people like Opebo who would have supported his death but not the rapist's.  (Of course, I would have opposed both deaths, naturally.)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2005, 09:26:17 AM »

Yes (D)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2005, 09:35:38 AM »

This question is illogical.

Obviously I wouldn't be able to kill myself, until the age of puberty or later.  Any earlier and I probably wouldn't understand what 'rape', 'abortion' and 'suicide' even mean, let alone the implications of finding out that that is what happened to my mother.

If I chose 'yes' and wanted to kill myself, then that would go against my mother's eventual choice.  She obviously decided not to abort me, and chose to let me live instead.  Killing myself is not what she chose to happen.

If she decided to abort me, then I would never have faced this question, so it wouldn't have mattered.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2005, 09:43:13 AM »

No.

The mother's right to an abortion should have nothing to do with whether she chose to become pregnant or not. It should have to do with her right to personal reproductive autonomy.

But I acknowledge there is at least some sense behind a rape exception to a pro-life position, although I cannot think of how the incest exception is justified.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2005, 02:46:45 PM »

No (D)

Dave
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2005, 03:43:11 PM »

If she decided to abort me, then I would never have faced this question, so it wouldn't have mattered.

Yeah that's one of the implications I'm hoping people will pick up.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2005, 04:18:38 PM »

No.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2005, 05:02:48 PM »

This question is rather stupid because no one is encouraging abortion, just that women have the right to choose.

Since I am pro-choice in all cases, the fact that I would not kill myself in this situation is consistent with my belief that women have the right to choose before and during pregnancy but not after pregnancy (regardless of whether or not they chose to become pregnant).

What I do find hypocritical (apologies for deviating from the topic) is for pro-lifers to make an exception when the fetus is disabled. This seems to say that fetuses have a right to life unless they're disabled.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2005, 05:06:24 PM »

Don't paint all anti-abortionists as the wishy-washy moderates who allow exceptions. There should be no abortions for any reason.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2005, 05:08:25 PM »

Don't paint all anti-abortionists as the wishy-washy moderates who allow exceptions. There should be no abortions for any reason.

Do you support legalized abortion if the life of the mother is in danger?
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2005, 05:09:38 PM »

Read my post.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2005, 05:30:19 PM »

trying to bait people.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2005, 05:34:56 PM »

LOL considering the source
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2005, 07:57:39 PM »

Yeah that's one of the implications I'm hoping people will pick up.

How could I possibly make any kind of decision at all if I had never existed?
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2005, 08:13:39 PM »

Dumb, very dumb.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2005, 08:29:26 PM »

indeed.
Inverted Things
Avelaval

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2005, 09:42:39 PM »

If you found out your mother had been raped and became pregnant with you, would you kill yourself?

You're baiting me, and you're doing a good job of it. You are indeed a master baiter.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies